Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 06:56   #1

Boat: sailing Shipman 28 / OE36 project
converting to cutter rig / staysail sheeting

Sailors,

I have a question to those familiar with cutter rigs. I am planning a sloop to cutter conversion by adding removable synthetic inner forestay (4:1 tackle tensioned via cabin top winch) and running backstays (4:1 tackle) to a 29ft Shipman28 with light displacement of 2800kgs.

I have a question about where would be the best position for staysail car tracks. There are two possible locations on the cabin top - either on the lower part of cabin top beside the mast or on the higher part of the cabin top behind the mast position. There is no staysail yet, it can be made according to the layout.

The main idea behind this conversion is to:
- give the mast a little extra support in very heavy weather.
- be able to fly a staysail together with reefed main in heavy weather to keep CE centralised and low.
- be able to fly a proper hank-on storm jib on inner forestay, not some sleeve-over-genoa-furler type storm jib.

The original wire rig will stay in place of course. It consists of forestay, babystay, backstay, cap shrouds, aft lower shrouds.

This will give me different options of foresails to be used in combination with mainsail or reefed mainsail:
-large Genoa on furler
-hank-on staysail + yankee sail (yankee replaces Genoa on furler) combination
-staysail
-staysail + code0 combination maybe...
-storm staysail

There is also a bowsprit in place that is used for Code 0 on furler and the boat is also equipped for a symmetric spinnaker.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome. This is a major project and I would prefer to do it right on first try.

Attached drawings with different sheeting options for staysail (the storm sail can be sheeted via existing Genoa tracks I suppose).
The red lines represent running backstays and removable inner forestay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D2197B1F-A687-42FF-866F-B943207CCAA9.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	228111
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 13:49   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: converting to cutter rig / staysail sheeting

Option 2, behind the mast allows for a better sheeting angle on your boat. A short length of track would be a bit more expensive but would be better yet. I love my cutter rig, especially offshore in heavy weather. Lots of sail options, but I have both headsails on furling units. I stay off the foredeck as much as possible.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 14:53   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

What does your sailmaker suggest? Will the slot be too narrow with tracks on the cabin top? You are keeping your babystay and adding a removable inner forestay? Will the staysail hang up on the babystay? Why do you need additional support for the mast if there is already a forestay and babystay? Is there room to store all these sails? Are you sailing to Canada? The boats seem to have been well built, but why are you going out in very heavy weather that would call for storm sails in a 29' boat? You may find good feedback here:
https://shipman28.dk
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 23:48   #4

Boat: sailing Shipman 28 / OE36 project

Behind the mast seems to give better angle for me, too. There will be tracks for sheet cars for sure and maybe barber haulers / inhaulers if needed.

Sailmakers suggest 8-10 degree angle from forestay attachment on deck. That would place staysail tracks right on top of the cabin.

Babystay is worth keeping to let the boat sail as a sloop in normal conditions. It works in conjunction with lower aft shrouds that fasten under the spreaders just at mid mast height. As a matter of fact I plan to make the babystay removable as well, it would be helpful in light downwind spinnaker gybing. But in conditions where inner forestay is needed the babystay will remain in place.

I don't think babystay will interfere with staysail. I can tack large Genoa around babystay, small staysail will go around it almost by itself

The new inner forestay can be stored at the mast when not in use. When its needed one just adds tackle (that doubles as spinnaker-pole downhaul) to the forestay lower end eye and tensions it by cabin top winch.

There is room for sails on the boat. The sails of 29-footer are not that big although I have to admit storage is limited as well. Anyway sails are needed to be sailing and one has to find space for them.

I am not sailing to Canada... or who knows Better be prepared than sorry. Lets just say I try to find out if this boat can be fitted out for more than daysails or weekend cruises, let's call it extended cruising. In that case one would bring some spare sails and storm jib anyway.
Of course I will not go out for a daysail in storm conditions.

Thanks for the link of shipman28.dk, I think I've read and investigated most of Shipman28 related materials that can be found online.

Thanks for the contribution, keep it coming.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, sail