Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 17:15   #1

Boat: 10m Catalac, Immanuel
Control Cable Adjustment

I need some input from you experts out there. I'm on the backside of a repower for our cat. For the most part it hasn't been too difficult, other than not having all the time I would have liked to get it done sooner.
A short overview, replaced 2 yanmar hm35's w/ SD30's to 2gm 30's w/ SD 20's. Other than having to redrill motor mount holes, alls gone well.
My query is with the trans. shift cable. I have found my indents for forward-neutral -astern by following the book. my problem is the spring loaded end on the cable @ trans. end. I cannot screw it back far enough on cable to line up w/ shift arm in the neutral position. There seems to be adjustment at other end @ helm, Can I just adjust cable back enough to line up w/ shift arm or will I mess something up @ control handle? It seems like i can, I've just not messed around with control cables before. Seems simple enough, but thought I'd ask y'all anyway.
As always appreciate any input!

P.S. I have 1 perfectly good, fully rebuilt Yanmar hm35 w/ 2 sd 30 for sale if anybody is interested
Immanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 18:48   #2
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: control cable adjustment

Would it be as simple as as moving the control lever one spline forward or back. I had a similar issue with my Volvo's in that after a throttle cable replacement the two handles did not line up. I was looking at the cable as the culprit when someone suggested to me to move the handle?
In my case I was too busy looking for the complicated and missed the easy.
Good luck