Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2020, 09:10   #31

Re: Continue refit or look for something else?

Totally forgot about the termites. Boat is currently in the Caribbean and am having difficulty finding someone to tent the boat in Puerto Rico and the USVIs. Does anyone know someone who will tent on St. Thomas, St. Croix, or Puerto Rico?
lsheaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 09:24   #32

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Show me a thirty foot boat that will hold enough fresh water to get from the Cook Islands or Hawaii to the Solomons (which would be the next available fresh water)... Yes you can set up a catchment system but you'd be counting on rain. During a dry spell nobody in Kiribati (which is also on catchment) will be letting you fill up. Making that trip without at least a hand held water maker ($900 Katadyn) is foolhardy and should not be encouraged.
HA to CookIsl is 3169nm. Let's call it 3200nm. Let's assume the boat averages 100nm/d. That's slightly conservative for a 30' boat but that's good for planning purposes.
Person needs 1gal/d which provides some comfort on top of bare minimum (0.5gal/d.).

So that means he/she needs 32gal bare minimum no stops no problems.
Let's double that to 64gal to account for hangups, problems, and just plain old stopping on the way and visiting places. That assumes there is no catchment along the way. Heck let's be really conservative and up that to 70gal to be really conservative.

Don't tell me the OP can't find space for 70gal on a 30' boat.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 09:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
HA to CookIsl is 3169nm. Let's call it 3200nm. Let's assume the boat averages 100nm/d. That's slightly conservative for a 30' boat but that's good for planning purposes.
Person needs 1gal/d which provides some comfort on top of bare minimum (0.5gal/d.).

So that means he/she needs 32gal bare minimum no stops no problems.
Let's double that to 64gal to account for hangups, problems, and just plain old stopping on the way and visiting places. That assumes there is no catchment along the way. Heck let's be really conservative and up that to 70gal to be really conservative.

Don't tell me the OP can't find space for 70gal on a 30' boat.
My current water capacity is actually about 70 gallons including the 20 gallon flexible bag. If I build the same integral water tank as Brian and Debbie on S/V Dawn Treader (I think their tank is about 60 gallons) I will be well over 100 gallons.
lsheaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 09:48   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
You don’t need a watermaker to cross the Pacific. And if you do chose to get one you don’t need to drop $5k to get one.

You don't NEED a boat to cross the Pacific either. But as long as you're going that route...
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:58   #35

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Do you really want to find all the problems (learn) on a new boat? I don't. I am still learning my boat after 7 years. Tent the boat and bomb it or sail north and freeze them. Seems like an easier option than learning a new boat.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit