Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2022, 08:05   #1

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'
Connectors for mast lights

I'm rewiring my mast - replacing old incandescent lights with LED ones. I've searched for information about connectors to use to connect the wires that are on the lights with the wires that go down the mast. I've found nothing; a LOT on mast-to-deck connectors for deck-stepped masts, but nothing on the connectors further up.

I am thinking about using snap connectors instead of butt connectors to make possible future repairs/replacements easier. I would crimp the connectors, use heat-shrink on the connectors, and then encase the connection entirely with larger heat shrink.

What do folks think of this idea? Is there a better way? Should I just go with butt connectors? Thanks.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:23   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Connectors for mast lights

Look up Weather Pack connectors. Weather sealed and no heat shrink needed. Basically, GM underhood technology. These are a “designed” solution, so you need to know not just AWG, but also wire overall diameter.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:12   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Agree with Team Karst. Look for automotive connectors, there are many solutions for watertight connectors for 12V or 24V.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:20   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I soldered the connection, then filled a heat shrink with silicone then shrank it. Totally sealed and no way for water to enter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:25   #5

About the Weather Pack connectors - any notion about how they'd hold up to being exposed to UV? I have PVC heat shrink that will stand up pretty well.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:45   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
I'm rewiring my mast - replacing old incandescent lights with LED ones. I've searched for information about connectors to use to connect the wires that are on the lights with the wires that go down the mast. I've found nothing; a LOT on mast-to-deck connectors for deck-stepped masts, but nothing on the connectors further up.

I am thinking about using snap connectors instead of butt connectors to make possible future repairs/replacements easier. I would crimp the connectors, use heat-shrink on the connectors, and then encase the connection entirely with larger heat shrink.

What do folks think of this idea? Is there a better way? Should I just go with butt connectors? Thanks.

If you mean these, cross them off your list. Pretty much anything will be better.

I'm not going to suggest a "right" way, because that always starts a food fight.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:13   #7

Pretty sure he's thinking about something like this with heat shrink over it.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:36   #8

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:

I'm not sure from your description but it sounds like these connectors would be inside the mast. If that's the case would even be able to service them without dropping the mast?

I think encasing the entire connection entirely with a larger heat shrink might very well negate any benefits of using snap together connectors. Removing the cured heat shrink without damaging the connectors or wire underneath could be problematic. In that case heat-shrink butt connectors with an extra 12" or so of wire to make redoing the connectors in the future if necessary connectors would my choice.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:55   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post

Pretty sure he's thinking about something like this with heat shrink over it.

Those are called bullet connectors. Nomenclature matters when you don't include pictures. Yup, a much better idea. With waterproof grease you won't need the over-the-top heat shrink, unless there is a lot of water leakage or some strain.
Old 06-11-2022, 13:16   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
About the Weather Pack connectors - any notion about how they'd hold up to being exposed to UV? I have PVC heat shrink that will stand up pretty well.

Thats a great question. They are black nylon, without more data, I would expect the outdoor life to be similar to black wire ties. Probably not a ten year solution in the tropics.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 13:17   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

Butt connectors or solder. Use glue filled heat shrink over the connection. Any removable connector will not be as durable. Odds are that you won't touch these connections for decades.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 13:26   #12

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

These are watertight connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCFCECE0-0E78-439F-8EF7-F48D0BB79D1F.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	266892  
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 00:24   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I pre tin everything after crimping touch the pencil and add shrink wrap. If you are anti solder use lots of anti ox grease. A double bundled wire is more likely to collect moisture.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 13:45   #14

Thanks everyone! Sorry if I was confusing about which connectors I was considering. The box that the Ancor connectors came in is labeled "snap plugs" so that's what I went with. Be Free's post showed what I meant. I wasn't aware that they were also called bayonet connectors.

The Weather Pack connectors look interesting, but I'm uneasy about using them in the tropical sun - especially since they are advertised as "under the hood" automotive connectors. I emailed the company that makes them - asking if they had any UV protection additives to the nylon - but I haven't yet received a response. Perhaps I'm not a potentially significant enough customer to warrant a response. I do think that they may be useful for below-deck connections (e.g., to pumps, etc.) so thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Meanwhile, nobody seemed to have a strong aversion to my plan so I'll go with it on those things that may require some maintenance or replacement and go with butt connectors for those things that will probably be untouched for years.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:52   #15

If you use the type connector I referenced it will save you trouble down the road if you put one male and one female on each wire (feed and light sides). That way you can't get the polarity mixed up if you disconnect them.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast