Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2015, 08:21   #16

Re: Condensation underside mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There was HyperVent under our mattresses when we bought our boat. We threw it away with the mattresses. The black color doesn't give one much confidence about it's cleanliness.

Froli is a good solution if you're just sleeping on foam. We got rid of them when we switched to real inner-spring mattresses. Would not go back.

We use white Dri-Dek now. A little heavier, but works well, and no concerns about mold.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 09:02   #17

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I've had good luck with this stuff
I agree we use the same "DRI DEK"grid square system under our mattress and have had no mold or mildew in six years of fulltime living aboard

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 09:11   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you have an inner-spring mattress, where do you put the dri-dek?

Can you have a custom inner-spring made? The Pullman berth in my IP is oddly shaped, would take a custom made one to fit, I've found sources of custom memory foam, but not a custom inner spring

One thing about dri-deck, if it ever got any mold on it, I'm sure you could take it on deck, spray some tile cleaner on it and hose it off without it being harmed.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 09:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
What is it called?
That's a product called Dri Deck. It works great. Got a little expensive over the years. There are similar things out there though too. Take a look at your big box hardware store.
It wont solve the entire problem though. When living aboard up a damp colder climate I had Dri Dek, plus many 1" diameter holes cored in the berth plywood bottom. and it still got wet but not as bad. I think the next step would be to open the cabinet under the plywood and maybe even have a fan installed to circulate air out of the area.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 12:03   #20

Quote:
Can you have a custom inner-spring made? The Pullman berth in my IP is oddly shaped, would take a custom made one to fit, I've found sources of custom memory foam, but not a custom inner spring
Yes, there are companies that can make custom inner spring mattresses.

This company can customize rectangular shapes. I have talked to them, but have not used them. They helped me realize my mattresses were actually a semi-standard size for RVs and I could get them from Amazon.

Order A Custom Size Mattress Handmade To Your Measurements

I have used this company for my master berth. Significantly more expensive, but money well spent if you're the one sleeping on it. They come to the boat and make a template. I believe they can handle odd shapes like v-berths.

Boat Beds By HandCraft Mattress Company |

Quote:
If you have an inner-spring mattress, where do you put the dri-dek?
Dri-Dek only helps if you put it under the mattress.
Old 28-09-2015, 12:15   #21

It took me about an hour with a handsaw to cut the slats to length in this Ikea system to fit my berth. I also replaced the thick bottom rails with nylon webbing. I think it's more comfortable than the Froli I've tried on a friend's boat - and a lot cheaper. It's also easier to access underbunk storage than the Froli because it rolls up.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80278715/

This one is even less expensive but I don't think it has quite as much comfort because it doesn't have the little rubber springs at the end of the slats:

LURÖY Slatted bed base - , Queen - IKEA

Both would take care of condensation.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 12:21   #22

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Try spreading kitty litter under your mattress or the new rage; chamois pajamas
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 12:56   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Orchidius,

The cheapest solution to the matting that we ever found was Chinese seagrass doormats, which were available for $2 US apiece. Our V-berth took 8 of them all told. I tied them together so they could easily be set out to air. After a while, Jim said he didn't like the odor.

Then we went to a rubber products store and bought the thinnest gauge closed cell foam camping mat they had. We bonded it to the underside of our foam mattress with spray on contact cement, and put the mattresses back in their cushions. This method has worked well for the life of this mattress.

Good luck at finding a solution you can live with and at a liveable price, too.

Ann
Old 28-09-2015, 13:15   #24

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
...Dri-Dek only helps if you put it under the mattress.
That is right! Dri-Dek really works well under the mattress. We lived aboard in the Seattle area for a while and we put Dri-Dek under all the cushions. It worked very well.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 13:19   #25

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Go to Wal Mart and buy a beanbag body pillow. Empty out the beans and fill with fill with Fresh Step.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 13:58   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, there are companies that can make custom inner spring mattresses.

This company can customize rectangular shapes. I have talked to them, but have not used them. They helped me realize my mattresses were actually a semi-standard size for RVs and I could get them from Amazon.

Order A Custom Size Mattress Handmade To Your Measurements

I have used this company for my master berth. Significantly more expensive, but money well spent if you're the one sleeping on it. They come to the boat and make a template. I believe they can handle odd shapes like v-berths.

Boat Beds By HandCraft Mattress Company |

Dri-Dek only helps if you put it under the mattress.

Ref the dri-dek, he has a box spring, so you need dri-dek between the mattress and box spring?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-09-2015, 15:48   #27

Quote:
Ref the dri-dek, he has a box spring, so you need dri-dek between the mattress and box spring?
I don't think anyone has mentioned box springs. If there were a box, you wouldn't have condensation problems since that would provide an air space. Inner spring mattresses have springs inside the mattress, which is what I was referring to. No box.
Old 28-09-2015, 16:19   #28

Boat: William Garden Ketch

We use the fake grass squares that clip together. They were cheap in Japan at about $0.75 per square foot. I imagine they are even cheaper here in the USA.

Cheers

Mark
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 16:24   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Condensation underside mattress

Quote:
I don't think anyone has mentioned box springs. If there were a box, you wouldn't have condensation problems since that would provide an air space. Inner spring mattresses have springs inside the mattress, which is what I was referring to. No box.

OK, now I understand, I mistook inner spring for box spring. Lord knows how, because I believe you used the name correctly, I somehow or another thought box spring.
But, yes I was thinking will all the air space in a box spring there would be no condensation, I would have thought that too with an inner spring too though. I wonder if vents in the inner spring sides would prevent condensation?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-09-2015, 20:10   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
I used plastic lattice fencing from HD or Lowes on the last 2 boats, cheap & works for me!
This certainly sounds like the easiest and cheapest way to go. I've not experienced the problem but I've never wintered aboard in the northeast so I've not had any big condensation issues. I was in Bermuda for several weeks a couple months ago and the humidity there was slowly saturating my interior even with the hatches and vents wide open most of the time. When I returned to New England in July it was much less humid and comfortable all around.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation