Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2019, 20:39   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Cold temperatures and vinyl-ester resin

Matt, as someone else suggested, plain ole infra red heat lamps are commonly used to keep layups warm back in California. I've used them myself, but only for smaller projects than yours. They have the advantage of being "aimable", and of not stirring up the dust. And not being the spark source that the blower motors are...

Jim
Old 20-06-2019, 22:26   #47

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
One comment, nothing to do with diesel. When I was a kid I sailed on a boat with an improperly cured polyester icebox. We couldn’t use it as everything tasted like resin smells.
Take extra care with your fridge to make sure that everything is not just fully cured but has had time and temperature to outgas. NOT saying don’t do it. Saying take care.
I hear you, the stuff is foul. I keep getting a taste of it in the back of my mouth and I sure as heck don't remember EATING any.

But the consensus seems to be that fibreglass is a good material for iceboxes, at least of the materials in my budget. I will be taking care as you suggest.
Old 20-06-2019, 22:31   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding View Post
GIlow, I'm curious why your supplier suggested vinyl, I've been under the impression that epoxy is always a better choice.
Actually, full disclosure, when I play the conversation back in my head, it could be considered a leading question. It went something like...

Ring ring!

Supplier: Hello.

Me: Hi, I am building a diesel tank and I have read that vinyl ester is the best for the job, but I am happy to go with your suggestion.

Supplier: .... long pause.... yeah, actually, that sounds right, I've heard that too.

Me: Happy to go with epoxy if you think that would be better.

Supplier: .... longer pause.... nah, vinyl is the way to go. How much do you need?

But seriously, I have read a LOT on this subject, and there is just the slightest tilt towards vinyl-ester as the more robust when it comes to chemical resistance. It could be one of those things where modern methods or materials make the info obsolete, but I came away feeling it was going to be the best option, by a narrow margin.
Old 20-06-2019, 22:35   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding View Post
GIlow and others using poly or vinylester, have you considered using epoxy. There are no fumes and with the pumps no problem getting the exact right amount of mixture, it also is a better on the secondary mechanical bond and more resistant to some liquids. I do understand it is more expensive especially West System, there are other epoxys that are very good and much better priced. In the end I find the materials are a small part of the whole project, and the amount of time spent, I like to use the best materials so I don't have a problem and have to redo the project. I have built a few projects in cold weather, I put my epoxy containers in a bucket of hot water for an hour before using it and it has always kicked off, heat lamps on the surface also is a good idea. I'm getting ready to rip out my refrigeration and reglass and insulate then build a new inner box in place, I live on my boat and could not imagine doing it with the fumes from anything besides epoxy. My 35 year old fiberglass diesel tanks are like new inside, there are many horror stories about aluminum and stainless also, I love my glass tanks.
Yes to everything you have written here. Epoxy is so much nicer to work with, stronger bond.. you name it really. But as per my previous post, I just found constant references to vinyl being slightly better at chemical resistance.

I may really regret this, if for no other reason than the fumes which are doing me no good at all.

As for stainless, well I tossed the 15 year old work hardened stainless day tank I had that was gently weeping stinking diesel a few years ago and built a polyester tank to replace it and has been terrific.