Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2022, 17:23   #1

Boat: TJ34, previously owned: Willard 30, Willard 40
cold plate refrigerator not cooling

I am on my way to Alaska and my cold plate fridge stopped working. The fridge motor is running but the plate is not getting cold. I am guessing that the refrigerant has leaked out. Other than a leak in the lines do Adler/Barbour cold machines have any diagnostics? This is a 2001 unit.

I am trying to locate a serve tech in either Prince Rupert or Ketchikan but so far no luck. Any suggestions?

Richard P
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 17:39   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: cold plate refrigerator not cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpackard View Post
I am on my way to Alaska and my cold plate fridge stopped working. The fridge motor is running but the plate is not getting cold. I am guessing that the refrigerant has leaked out. Other than a leak in the lines do Adler/Barbour cold machines have any diagnostics? This is a 2001 unit.

I am trying to locate a serve tech in either Prince Rupert or Ketchikan but so far no luck. Any suggestions?

Richard P
With a 20-year-old AB unit I would suspect, (barring any other physical damage,) that the "self sealing" male/female couplings have started to leak.
With the preponderance of fishing vessels there must be someone in PR or Ketchikan that can leak-check/repair/re-charge your system.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:35   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: cold plate refrigerator not cooling

Bowdrie speaks with wisdom. Refrigerant leaking down is such a common problem, and common to automobile AC, residential AC, refrigerators, and boat AC that there's gotta be someone there. You can even buy the tools and refrigerant at Walmart.

Tags
cooling, refrigerator