Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2012, 21:05   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Cockpit Drain Seacock too tall

A Groco flanged adaptor with an elbow and then a ball valve will work as well as give you the best attachment to the hull. Flanged Adaptors

You install the elbow to the flanged adaptor and then the ball valve as shown below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	119.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	40536  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 21:09   #17

Boat: PETERSON 44
Unless the thru hulls are closed or 2 inches above the cockpit drain the water should get out. I understand you did not change the cockpit fitting. Confused.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 21:30   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I think you are on the right track in replacing the thru-hull mounted ball valves with flanged seacocks. How about using a Groco Flanged Thru-hull adapter with a Street Elbow screwed onto it with a ball valve on the elbow?
Groco Flanged Adapter IBVF
This is a much stronger setup than just screwing a valve on the thru-hull and it still keeps the low profile you need.
Thanks for the tip. Is that an item you keep on the shelves in WPB store? I will be passing through in about a week.
As of now I dont have valves on mine. It is a constant point of concern as the thrus are below the waterline.
Old 28-04-2012, 23:18   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Can I PLS inject two questions:

- is it acceptable to get rid of the seacocks provided top specs tubes / hoses are clamped to the thruhulls?

- is it OK to have the outlets on boat's sides (rather than in the bottom) (provided there is some slope so that the water drains when the boat is level),

???

b.
1. No best practice but one sees it a lot.
2. Do you mean above the static waterline or below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas20636 View Post
If you can see my crude drawing under Photos, Maintenance and boat building, the left side shows the old method of thru hull, 90 elbow, valve, hose. The right side shows my current setup with thru hull, seacock, 90 hose fitting, hose. The old gear stayed below the cockpit floor (blue line). The height of the seacock in the new setup causes a sort of loop above the cockpit floor level. Water drains to the red line and then stops.

This happens in a static situation. Crossing or not crossing won't fix it. I need to bring the entire setup back down to below floor level. Need a shorter seackcock or go back to elbow and valve.
Ahh.... a picture is worth a thousand words, I see your problem (and feel your pain ).
I think you are right (as is Barnakiel), you don't have many other options (none that I can see) if you want to keep the original holes in the hull.

I don't know what your setup is like under the cockpit but I have always favoured having the through hulls much closer to the keel line than away from it like in you instance. I understand that this may not be desirable in all situations due to conflicting requirements for space and access!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK now I see.

My ideas:
a) go back to the old set-up,
b) move the thruhulls under the cockpit.

b.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Unless the thru hulls are closed or 2 inches above the cockpit drain the water should get out. I understand you did not change the cockpit fitting. Confused.
See image, it makes the OPs position quite clear!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 00:14   #20

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname
1. No best practice but one sees it a lot.
2. Do you mean above the static waterline or below?

Ahh.... a picture is worth a thousand words, I see your problem (and feel your pain ).
I think you are right (as is Barnakiel), you don't have many other options (none that I can see) if you want to keep the original holes in the hull.

I don't know what your setup is like under the cockpit but I have always favoured having the through hulls much closer to the keel line than away from it like in you instance. I understand that this may not be desirable in all situations due to conflicting requirements for space and access!

See image, it makes the OPs position quite clear!
What image I dint see o stinkin image. It's posted somewhere but it ain't in the thread.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 00:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
What image I dint see o stinkin image. It's posted somewhere but it ain't in the thread.
Yep, you are right, it is a bit hard to find, go to the photo's tab right at top of every page, pull down menu to maint. & boat bulding, chose date first (or whatever) and find a photo from CAS206. when I looked, it was the first one.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-04-2012, 04:01   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cas206/cas20636.

I’ve alerted the Moderators about your posting problem.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 07:58   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

SailboatLarry, Yes we stock them in West Palm. Let me know what size you need and I'll have them set a couple aside for you.
Old 29-04-2012, 09:45   #24

Boat: Cal 27

Mods fixed me. As a new user I was heavily filtered by the spam guards. I am supposed to be cleared. Hopefully this post will post and the picture will become part of the thread.

Thanks for the two product suggestions so far. I think the plan of attack is to measure the depth of standing water in the cockpit to see how much I need to reduce the seacock height. Then I'll find (hopefully) mechanical drawings for the products listed so far and compare to the Forespar parts to see what I can get away with. So far my priority list is 1) shorter seacock or 2) flanged elbow + valve or 3) back to the way it was.
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 10:08   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

CAS206, If you let me know the size of your thru-hull, I can fit all the pieces together and measure the height for you using the Groco Flange Adapter and a street elbow. I'm guessing it won't be any higher than your original set up. It should be at least a couple of inches shorter than any seacock.
Old 29-04-2012, 10:48   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cockpit drains in cockpit are screen-like discs flush mounted into the drain holes...the under deck stuff is not spozed to leave water in cockpit. i do not see where the problem is for the water remaining in cockpit well. is there a lil addition that requires removal so a flush mounted screen can fit?
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:02   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i do not see where the problem is for the water remaining in cockpit well.
The problem is physics... water won't go uphill...not without a mechanical apparatus to pump it. Once the water in the cockpit reaches the red line of my picture, the water in the drain hose has to go "uphill" at the hose / elbow joint (right side), and then back down in the seacock/thru hull. It won't do that naturally. The water is in static equilibrium at the red line.
Old 29-04-2012, 11:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
CAS206, If you let me know the size of your thru-hull, I can fit all the pieces together and measure the height for you using the Groco Flange Adapter and a street elbow. I'm guessing it won't be any higher than your original set up. It should be at least a couple of inches shorter than any seacock.
I tried posting a picture of the old elbow and valve with ruler, but my phones USB cable has apparently died. Anyway the thru hull's (two) take a 1.5" valve. The elbow comes out between 2.5-3" from lip to top of pipe.

Thanks,
cas
Old 29-04-2012, 11:09   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my thru hull cockpit drain hoses donot cross over and i have yet to find a problem. mebbe that is your problem. uncross them and see if that helps. min ego thru on the side they cover. straight out no monkey business with crossing hoes over to other side.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 15:42   #30

Zee, click on the image in post 24 and the problem becomes obvious. The left hand side is original, the right hand side is the new arrangement (with problem).

Tags
cockpit