Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2021, 13:57   #1

Boat: Mirage 35
Cobra pedestal - parts / construction?

Cobra pedestal (1989 if it's original equipment) has the SS support tubing all the way down on the start board side, but stops at the throttle housing on the port side.

Where it goes into that housing it is held in place by a steel pin in a slot (see photos). But it wobbles seriously - my impression is that there should be some kind of bushings on the pin to hold it more firmly. It's held solidly - there's no apparent risk of it coming apart - but it's disturbing all the same.

I've been unable to find any information on this pedestal whatsoever. Anyone have sources or ideas?

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67C38BAF-0C6A-4CC2-AF51-4342469BC047.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	230570   Click image for larger version

Name:	46F5BCD6-223B-4768-88A8-58C3359F85E5.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	230571  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C837A443-8B83-4BDD-8B87-46A25183B2A3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	230572   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE087F12-59B1-4297-8077-9FD43C9EC41B.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	230573  

Old 17-01-2021, 15:37   #2

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Cobra pedestal - parts / construction?

Here is a manual for a Whitlock Cobra Steering Manual (But a bit later one)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...TEEjlO-fQ/edit
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 15:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Here is a manual for a Whitlock Cobra Steering Manual (But a bit later one)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...TEEjlO-fQ/edit
Good stuff! On consideration I think that the part I'm looking it is an add-on and not part of the original pedestal, but I'm going to save this document for reference in any case.
Old 17-01-2021, 16:12   #4

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Good stuff! On consideration I think that the part I'm looking it is an add-on and not part of the original pedestal, but I'm going to save this document for reference in any case.
When I read your original post I wondered whether it was an "after market" modification.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 12:44   #5

Hi , I have the exact same pedestal on my boat and had to refurbish it recently . I have a 1988 Ovni 41 . There are several different models of the Cobra but eventually found the right one . If you can send me your email address I can send it to you . The manual has exploded parts lists as well as instructions on disassembly that are very helpful .
nrwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 12:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrwian View Post
Hi , I have the exact same pedestal on my boat and had to refurbish it recently . I have a 1988 Ovni 41 . There are several different models of the Cobra but eventually found the right one . If you can send me your email address I can send it to you . The manual has exploded parts lists as well as instructions on disassembly that are very helpful .
Will send a PM with email address - thanks very much.
Old 18-01-2021, 15:43   #7

Boat: Farr 1020

I have the Whitlock version and found the weak link in the guard rail/throttle housing one day sailing in a stiff breeze. I was perched on the coaming and braced my foot on the throttle assembly as the obvious location when it moved! Seems the whole shebang is plastic so the tube beneath just broke the plastic housing, a bit like a cheese as it had no real strength at the transition. It also broke the top plate the throttle was bolted to.

I braced the two SS tubes to each other beneath the throttle and repaired the plastic case by making some SS plates bent to shape and bolted in/on. The bracing bar, also 32mm SS tube fits nicely just in front of the pedestal by offsetting the end fittings. Whole thing is now very tough but I still brace my foot on the actual pedestal instead of the tube or throttle housing.

Great pedestal but the add-ons need a bit more thought for durability.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 15:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
I have the Whitlock version and found the weak link in the guard rail/throttle housing one day sailing in a stiff breeze. I was perched on the coaming and braced my foot on the throttle assembly as the obvious location when it moved! Seems the whole shebang is plastic so the tube beneath just broke the plastic housing, a bit like a cheese as it had no real strength at the transition. It also broke the top plate the throttle was bolted to.

I braced the two SS tubes to each other beneath the throttle and repaired the plastic case by making some SS plates bent to shape and bolted in/on. The bracing bar, also 32mm SS tube fits nicely just in front of the pedestal by offsetting the end fittings. Whole thing is now very tough but I still brace my foot on the actual pedestal instead of the tube or throttle housing.

Great pedestal but the add-ons need a bit more thought for durability.
Yours must be newer than mine which has no plastic involved. It may wobble, but there's no way anything is going to break if you force it. Heavy gauge metal throughout.

Tags
parts, pedestal