Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2013, 07:48   #46
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Coating Wood With Epoxy to Prevent Rot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Minaret, he did a couple of trial cuts and determined the frequency and duration of the pressing of the switch. He had a pretty good idea of the bevels he would produce. Of course, afterward, he cleaned things up with a plane.
Ah, he winged it.

We have a shipsaw with a giant bevel gauge (custom) with extra long bevel arm. The cut man stands at the cut and calls out the bevel gauge numbers written on the timber while the table man stands on the table while adjusting the bevel to the correct number on the gauge slowly. Slow steady constant pressure on the bevel arm gives you a clean accurate running bevel. Changing it suddenly a few degrees every few feet gives a series of angles instead, which requires much more clean up. Still, not a bad solution if you can't find a helper and must cut running bevels on your own.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 07:49   #47

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
I am in the process of repairing/replacing some of the wood parts of my Samson C-Mist 32, which is a Ferrocement double-ender design very, very similar to a Westsail 32. My new bowsprit is made of 3 Douglas fir 2x6 laminated with West epoxy, finished with varnish for UV protection.
Im exploring the idea of pretreating with an anti fungal agent such as ethylene glycol. Has anyone here tried this?
Cuprinol is what you are looking for. I have found it to work well. I think there is a clear now. It used to give the wood a green hue. It penetrates well and I have soaked the end grain for a few hours in a partially full coffee can.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 08:28   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Pure EG is expensive and difficult to find. I have used it to kill existing rot spores followed by Smith's CPES successfully. YMMV.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:38   #49

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Steve Bean, Epoxy is vulnerable to ultraviolet light and will peel and fail within months. Ever notice how varnish does the same thing? Do yourself a very big favor. Cover the epoxy with an opaque paint, like white, to reflect UV and protect all the work you've done.

And forget about the glycol. It will only screw up the bond of the epoxy to wood. Just coat the wood correctly and keep it painted. It will last a very long time.
Yes, either paint it or use Cetol instead of epoxy. Cetol is oil based and has preservative in it.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 13:24   #50

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Roy, that is a brilliant idea using a fire hose to clamp a built up spar! Thanks for that.

Paul
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, rot