Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2014, 20:26   #1

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
CM construction system...

Anybody around use CM (cylindrical mold - Kurth Hughes system)??
Curious to know about it
Old 26-12-2014, 21:18   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Thumbs up Re: CM construction system...

I haven't tried it, though it intrigues me to no end. The catch, however, is in finding quality, inexpensive plywood. For at the moment, even with a bulk discount price at places like say, Edensaw Woods, 3mm ply of any quality isn't cheap. And when you figure the numbers, you don't save much in a build, by using CM over say infused foam. And the latter boat/construction method will have a MUCH higher resale value, in addition to being a good bit lighter weight wise too.

Which kinda' has me PO'd, as I'd love a mid-sized cat which was both easy, and, inexpensive to build. - If you run across a good source of inexpensive ply, I'd surely appreciate hearing about it (a PM or email).

I will say that Kurt's flexibility (and spreadsheet for) substituting different materials for various components of the boat is a NICE option to have. It could save you a lot of $ & weight.

Anyway, back to CM, there's a decent amount of info from guys having built some of Kurt's boats, over on BoatDesign.net
Also, I haven't had time to dig around another site yet, but it seems to be primarily for Catamaran (Multihull) home builders DIY-Yachts.com - Amateur Boat Builders Community - Home

And again, if you run across good links to materials, & or information on these topics, I'd love it if you'd pass them along. Ditto on anything else of substance which you find on the topic.
Plus, there's a flipside to the above request. If you do decide that you're going to go the DIY route (especially on a multi), I have a fair number of links to sources for materials & sailing hardware at, shall we say, better than average prices.

Dare I ask which design(s) of his you're toying with building?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 22:30   #3

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Re: CM construction system...

..I have a good relationship with this guys:
Okoume and Douglas Fir Marine Grade Plywood

.. Looking forward to check few prices for okume plywood...
I start to work in a cat 43'.. after a year of check different design, I think I can do something maybe with same "commercial grade" but a lot of cheaper.
On my backyard I have a nice mast, brand new, with all rigging, a lot of spare parts are in a couple containers so.. basically only I need it's a hull..
Rest.. I have good contact with surplus marine grade stuff so I can get at reasonable price..
But epoxy price it's the same..
I'm not a good fan of foam... prefer divinicell or something like that..
But a plywood/epoxy construction is cheap, easy and feasible for the medium skill handyman..
After all.. when wharram build his first cat, nobody even know too much about plywood quality...
Let's see.. if I build with Douglas quality plywood and with a reasonable maintenance.. what it's gonna be the difference with a high quality one like the okume plywood??
40% better?? 60%?? In a big parts it's about how meticulous you are when build panels...
I keep looking.. gonna get plans this week, crunch some numbers and back to you... gonna PM prices about plywood...

..by the way.. this is http://multihullblog.com/postapocalyptic-boat-building/ and excellet article about different materials and composite...