Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 09:21   #1

Boat: HR 37
Cleat bolts... Where to buy?

I'm working on rebedding the cleats on a HR37 in the Annapolis area and having difficulty finding replacement bolts to replace the bent-up ones I'm removing. As shown in the pics, the OE are stainless metric with a torx head and through-bolted through the deck. They are 6 inches long and shaft diameter is about 5/16. At this point I'm looking for anything close in metric or US... with a torx, phillips, or straights head. Have tried all the big box stores, and local hardware and nothing close.

Can anyone point me to a brick and mortar or online store that might have them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5138.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	165244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5139.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	165245  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5073.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	165246  
Tigidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:25   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: Cleat bolts... Where to buy?

Not familiar with the Annapolis area but on line McMaster-Carr will have what ever you want. Jamestown Distributors might as well. Philips head will look best, Torx will be harder to find.

Why do you want to stay metric?

Good Luck
Gary
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
Not familiar with the Annapolis area but on line McMaster-Carr will have what ever you want. Jamestown Distributors might as well. Philips head will look best, Torx will be harder to find.

Why do you want to stay metric?

Good Luck
Gary
Thanks for the recommendation... Looks like they do have some options if I need to order and not find locally.

Not looking to stay metric... Would prefer a replaceable US spec bolt, actually.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:29   #4

Boat: Hylas 49

Fawcetts?

BoltDepot.com
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 13:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Fawcetts?

BoltDepot.com
Any experience with BoltDepot? Saw them via a web search but not much out there in terms of reviews.

Do plan on checking with Fawcett soon. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2018, 13:41   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

Just bought stuff from BoltDepo. Great service
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:42   #7

Any recommendations on re-installing new bolts? There was some leaking through each cleat from what appeared to be the heads of the bolts (vs under the cleat itself). As shown in the pic, the heads of the bolts are crooked as the bores for the bolts to run through seemed to have been drilled at a slight inward angle (vs straight), so once the nuts beneath were tighten and the bolt head drawn into the cleat base, the top was bent straight.

I'm unclear whether I should fill the bores with epoxy and try to redrill straight (I have seen this recommendation but have no experience doing it) or just understand this is the scenario and bed and tighten accordingly. I'm hesitant to drill through the caprail and fiberglass straight enough, and the bolt length needs to be 6".

Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:55   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigidal View Post
Any recommendations on re-installing new bolts? There was some leaking through each cleat from what appeared to be the heads of the bolts (vs under the cleat itself). As shown in the pic, the heads of the bolts are crooked as the bores for the bolts to run through seemed to have been drilled at a slight inward angle (vs straight), so once the nuts beneath were tighten and the bolt head drawn into the cleat base, the top was bent straight.

I'm unclear whether I should fill the bores with epoxy and try to redrill straight (I have seen this recommendation but have no experience doing it) or just understand this is the scenario and bed and tighten accordingly. I'm hesitant to drill through the caprail and fiberglass straight enough, and the bolt length needs to be 6".

Thanks for the insight.
Regarding the bolts, I'd just call Fawcetts. They probably don't have them in the specific size that you want but would probably get them (through Fastenal whoever their supplier is) in a day or two.

As far as filling and redrilling goes, if they were leaking and the existing holes were not potted/sealed I would go ahead and redrill them after properly potting them. If you're installing new backing plates, consider adhering them, undrilled, in place before drilling the deck. That way the holes in the backing plates line up perfectly with the holes in the deck, which is not always as easy as you'd think.

Personally I would bed those with 4000uv, coating the length of the screw that extends through the cleat, chamfering the deck holes. Others will say use butyl. Done correctly both should last a long time.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:30   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Fastenall is a national chain that stocks a lot of "fasteners" and can order in whatever else you can think of. If you're here in the US.

(Location might help.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:49   #10

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigidal View Post
Any experience with BoltDepot? Saw them via a web search but not much out there in terms of reviews.
They are a first rate place. I've ordered from them several times without a problem. Fastenal and McMaster Carr are my other bolt sources.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:57   #11

Ordered new compass hold down bolts for my Edson from BoltDepot and they were shipped within the hour. Great folks!
Order Confirmation

We at Bolt Depot thank you for your order!
Bolt Depot Order Number:923281Placed:2/28/2018
Your Order

Product#DescriptionQuantityUnit PriceSubtotal5662Machine screws, Phillips pan head, Stainless steel 18-8, 1/4"-20 x 3-1/2"5 pcs$0.65$3.25
Summary

Subtotal:$3.25Tax:$0.00Shipping:$4.95Total:$8.20

Never had much luck with Fastenal....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 13:40   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Bolt Depot is great. Also Fastenal if you want to see the stuff in person first.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 15:56   #13

Thanks for the insight folks... I've visited the Fastenal in Beltsville, MD and they can do the bolt with a phillips head with the other dimensions I need (6" long, 5/16' shaft diameter, 18-8 stainless). Cost at $8.57/bolt. I'd like to avoid the slot head as it runs clear across the head, giving the head less depth in those areas and more room for water to clear under it. Is that too anal? Bolt Depot and McMaster both only carry slotted in those dimensions. All vendors do carry much more in terms of head types, stainless grades, and at less cost if I sized down to 1/4" shaft.
Old 12-03-2018, 15:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Regarding the bolts, I'd just call Fawcetts. They probably don't have them in the specific size that you want but would probably get them (through Fastenal whoever their supplier is) in a day or two.

As far as filling and redrilling goes, if they were leaking and the existing holes were not potted/sealed I would go ahead and redrill them after properly potting them. If you're installing new backing plates, consider adhering them, undrilled, in place before drilling the deck. That way the holes in the backing plates line up perfectly with the holes in the deck, which is not always as easy as you'd think.

Personally I would bed those with 4000uv, coating the length of the screw that extends through the cleat, chamfering the deck holes. Others will say use butyl. Done correctly both should last a long time.
What is the correct way to pot the bore before re-drilling it? The backing from the factory are individual washers, and I plan on replace with the like.

Why 4000uv vs butyl, which was used previously?

Thanks for the time.
Old 12-03-2018, 16:18   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I would clean and re-use the old bolts. New ones are probably not gonna be as nice.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote