Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2020, 07:44   #31

Re: Cleaning rust from fiberglass using ospho

Dollar Store lavatory bowl cleaner shifts stains and general muck off fibreglass and stainless.
Alcahol for the stove shifts residue left by masking tape left on too long.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 07:50   #32

Boat: 1994 Ericson 380, 38'

This stuff really does work great to remove stains from fiberglass.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/fsr/
Lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 10:12   #33

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Interesting that there is a distinct lack of recommendations here for specific marine products (unless I missed it). I like a good home brew, and saving a few bucks, but I also like simplicity. I found that Star Brite Rust Stain Remover works like magic on fiberglass. I'm usually super skeptical about product claims on the bottle but this stuff did not disappoint. Spray it one, wait a few minutes, and the stain is gone. In fact you may not remember where it was.

Recently I wanted to take the first foot off my anchor chain because it was looking nasty. I cut the link up on my bow and thought I cleaned up all the metal dust. The next time we sailed and got salt water on the deck the entire bow became speckled with rust stains from the tiny metal particles left behind. A quick spray of the Star Brite stuff, a few minutes, and a fresh water rinse and they were gone.

I'm pretty sure I saw Star Brite products on the shelves in Grenada.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 11:02   #34

I have used “Whink” for the past 30years. You can find in most hardware and stores in the cleaning aisles.
I always wet the area I’m going to do first. Then drip in on the stain or stainless piece you are working on.
For fiberglass, it usually works without any brushing. It may take more than one application to clear it up. Let is sit for a few minutes but always rinse thoroughly afterwards. Especially if you are cleaning stainless. If you don’t rinse it will cause the stainless to dull.
When doing stainless fittings and turnbuckles I usually use a small stainless toothbrush size brush to finish the stain

Don’t get it on your hand and especially your face or eyes. It an acid so be careful

Dave Del Rosario
S/V Ka Peki Mei
Beneteau 373
Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii
DavidDelRosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 13:07   #35
rla

Oxalic acid mixed with wall paper paste, leave it on for as long as necessary , in bad cases cover with cling film to prevent drying out.
rla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, fiberglass