Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 07:18   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Classic Plastic--Water Colors

I often seem to see discussions concerning repainting an older--"Classic Plastic"--yacht. So, when we came across an interesting Classic while moored in Anse d'Arlet (Martinique) for awhile this past week, I took the following snap. Interesting paint scheme and "pretty" (per my much better half) boat. (Note the matching Wind-Genny!) Unfortunately, we did not get to meet the couple aboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water Colors.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	158989  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Classic Plastic--Water Colors

I have seen some boats sprayed with an LPU like AwlGrip that I think came out looking better than new. The gloss and mirror like finish is fantastic....looks like a new cars paint.

The dilemma with changing colors is if (more likely when) you get a scratch, the old color showing through is going to be really obvious.

Nice thing about that bright yellow boat in the picture, it's going to be really obvious in the distance at sea.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:57   #3

Boat: B24

Well, those wouldn't be my colors but some folks were quite pleased putting flowers on VW buses (had the bus, but no flowers), so whose to say... On our older B24 we redid the hull in Brightside that the teenage grandson and I put on by hand... wasn't a perfect job and the weather probably was a tad cool (but looked great from ten feet away), but has certainly proven to be durable... Good to see folks enjoying the older boats -- hard to knock that.
Old 09-11-2017, 21:26   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'll give them credit for being bold! Actually those could be nice trim colors perhaps, I could see that, used sparingly.... The 50s/60s did have their fair share of interesting colors in cars especially, but also in boats... look at "Columbia" 1958 America's Cup winner... baby blue?
Actually I am contemplating how I am going to incorporate some 60s colors in the trim of my own classic... I am working on "Cadillac Aztec Red" and "Willy's Beryl Green" trim on a "Refrigerator White" hull...
Sure would like to see some more boats with new and daring color schemes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2017-11-09 at 9.18.31 PM.png
Views:	86
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	159015  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

One thing to be said for the paint job on that yacht is the likelihood that in a SAR situation, that boat would be much easier to spot from an aircraft than would be the typical white or dark blue hull against the background of a tumultuous sea, No?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:02   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Vinyl wraps seem to be the latest thing in refinishing boats. They claim a life of ten years and a cost of one fourth the cost of a professional paint job. Also, the process is much quicker, just a couple of days.

The flip side is, my slip neighbor has her boat on a work rack at the marina and is painting her boat with a roller using paint from Lowes.

The problem with non-traditional colors on a boat is, they tend to get dated and devalue the boat. In the end, "white is right". It never goes out of style.

Tags
water