Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 05:16   #1

Boat: Sweden Yachts 34
Choosing nonskid paint on top of epoxy primer

I'm leaning towards a one component paint without additives (sand etc.) mainly for ease of application and durability. Also seems easier to reapply later when worn out. I'm not married to this approach so I'm open to other suggestions..

Kiwigrip is available here in France, but is rather expensive. Any ideas on industrial alternatives? I've heard a lot of people mention Emer-clad, but can't really find a retailer.
Norado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:24   #2

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Choosing nonskid paint on top of epoxy primer

Look for industrial non-skid paints used for loading ramps, factory floors etc. They are usually very tough and inexpensive (not "marine"), although not very aggressive compared to some marine paints. The lastime I painted my deck I used a non-skid paint for tennis courts. Tough stuff!
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:42   #3

Cheers! Do you remember the brand name for the one you used?
Old 08-05-2017, 06:04   #4

I don't recall the name on the label, but it was made by Sherwin Williams I think. If you google "non-skid floor paint for factories" "non-skid paint for tennis courts" and variations of these I think you'll find local products. The stuff I get in Brazil probably doesn't exist in Europe.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:24   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

I'm also interested in this question. I tried KiwiGrip but was not a fan. Just my opinion. I wrote a blog post about our non-skid paint dilemmas here:
https://svviolethour.com/2017/03/13/...on-skid-paint/

Personally I wouldn't use a non-marine paint. Saving a few bucks just isn't worth the risk that it won't be a perfect job on something I want to last 10+ years. There are so many marine non-skid paints that one of them must be good. The trouble is just figuring out which one.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:38   #6

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Do you really need a paint? I used non skid tape 6 years ago and it's still good. It is the same stuff used in bath tubs and showers so the adhesive is water proof. Comes in different widths. even mats.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
I'm also interested in this question. I tried KiwiGrip but was not a fan. Just my opinion. I wrote a blog post about our non-skid paint dilemmas here:

Personally I wouldn't use a non-marine paint. Saving a few bucks just isn't worth the risk that it won't be a perfect job on something I want to last 10+ years. There are so many marine non-skid paints that one of them must be good. The trouble is just figuring out which one.
Is there really such a thing as a "marine" paint? The boating market is so tiny compared to the industrial market (automotive etc.). The massive amount of research and volume of sales that go into paints for the big markets keeps the quality up and the price down. Any non-skid paint made for loading ramps or factory floors will hold up on the lightly-used deck of a boat. These paints are made for heavy traffic, sun, rain, snow etc.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:59   #8

I am also interested in this question. The problem is not finding a nonskid, but finding one that will adhere well to an epoxy primed deck, and then last.
pelicanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:20   #9

Comparably, Kiwi Grip is low priced over here in the US. So... not sure what to recommend. Not a big fan but haven't tried it but once. Some like it. Some factory floor stuff is very durable, but thick and if it doesn't adhere well... gonna be a big problem. The one think]g I like about Kiwi is it's so easy and non toxic... for a project you just want to redo now and then seems like a good choice. I really wonder if high quality exterior house latex is any different than Kiwi....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:25   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva Espańa
Boat: Cal 20

I'm looking at Durabak but haven't applied it yet so can't give feedback one way or the other. Also don't know about importing into France/EU.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:32   #11

I applied Durabak to the steps on my house deck. The steps are 5" x 12" beams, but get slick in the winter. It's tough stuff, but it aint pretty... big chunks of aggressive non skid in it. They are hard to apply uniformly too. I would think it's expensive in Fr... but maybe not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanme View Post
I am also interested in this question. The problem is not finding a nonskid, but finding one that will adhere well to an epoxy primed deck, and then last.
I don't know of a preparation for painting better than epoxy-based primer, but I'm not an engineer. Is there a better surface preparation? In my mind, any paint will stick well to that.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:30   #13

As far as I know, gelcoat won't. Or at least it's far from optimum.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post

Interesting post, thanks.

As far as marine or not I think one has to assess the properties of the paint and compare this to its application. If it's UV resistant, adheres to your substrate, has the required hardness, non permeable, sea water resistant and can be applied according to your methods and equipment available whether or not it says 'marine' on the can doesn't really matter.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Comparably, Kiwi Grip is low priced over here in the US. So... not sure what to recommend. Not a big fan but haven't tried it but once. Some like it. Some factory floor stuff is very durable, but thick and if it doesn't adhere well... gonna be a big problem. The one think]g I like about Kiwi is it's so easy and non toxic... for a project you just want to redo now and then seems like a good choice. I really wonder if high quality exterior house latex is any different than Kiwi....
Some Frenchie said latex roof paint is similar to kiwigrip, so we might be onto something.

https://www.polycote.com/uk/roofs/acraflex-standard/

5 kg for 65 British money [emoji4]

I can't imagine this paint being as thick as the kiwigrip though. I mean will I be able to roll out a pattern with the kiwi roller..?

Tags
epoxy, paint