Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 10:46   #46

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Chinese Vs Sailrite walking foot sewing machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Was in the same situation and ended up getting a REX for around $300usd. Very pleased with the price and performance. Best part is you can throw out the instructions that come with it and use the sail rite ones instead along with every single maintenance video they have online. It starts to get a bit much around 14 layers of sunbrella but will do it, along with all the accessories and Tenara thread. Biggest issue I have is the foot pedal was stiff at first and was ‘all or none’ but with time and practice you can get it to go slow. Bought a binding feeder off of Amazon for $10 and it works awesome, only had to thread the two holes to accept the machine screws that came with it. I did screw up though and ordered the straight version instead of the zigzag.

Exactly what I did too. The Rex didn't come tuned as well as a Sailrite would, but Sailrite has all their tuning videos on YouTube and the adjustments are pretty easy. Used to be you had to buy their machine to get the DVD's with the videos. I added the Barracuda monster wheel which is actually the original version of Sailrite's wheel for about $100 US on Amazon. It helps a lot, only downside is it's harder to disengage the internals for winding bobbins. I just leave it engaged and let the needle go up and down while winding. Not a problem. Check out their video showing the differences between thier machines and the "knockoffs". (Actually the Sailrite is a knockoff too, the original was the Thompson.) They show some parts that will likely break and they have beefed up on their versions, and sure enough two parts did break on my Rex. But Sailrite will sell you those parts and they're drop in replacements. Not expensive either.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 19:09   #47
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Just curious... what would you be sewing that would have 14 layers of sunbrella?
It happens. Doubled up overlapping layers, with overlapping binding on a corner with a fold.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 19:27   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post
Im curious when the spinnaker sock was invented. I bought a used 20' Bay City sloop in 1967 that had a Ratsey Sailmakers sock onboard...same as the original build 1960 sails. I assumed the sock was developed in the 40s or 50s and later made popular by Spinnaker Sally. Pretty cool device but I managed to get a seriously tight forestay wrap the fist time I used it single handed.

You mention a Ratsey sock. We had a Ratsey Lapthorn (sp?) storm jib for that boat for a while, till Jim made us a new one. We had never seen, nor heard of a sock at the time, but there was a net with large holes sort of snuffer, called a Spinnaker Sally, that Jim just thought all fabric would be better. I thought he was the inventor, but perhaps I'm wrong, or maybe it was an idea whose time had come and sprung up all over the place, simultaneous invention.

Ann
Old 08-08-2021, 19:41   #49

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Sail cloth, near a corner...all the time.

Canvas work with Sunbrella, I try to avoid that many layers.
Old 08-08-2021, 20:08   #50

The sailrite is made in China!.
I bought an Omega from a guy in Laval (QC, Canada) he gets them from the same factory that makes sail rite. Practically the same machine.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:16   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Exactly what I did too. The Rex didn't come tuned as well as a Sailrite would, but Sailrite has all their tuning videos on YouTube and the adjustments are pretty easy. Used to be you had to buy their machine to get the DVD's with the videos. I added the Barracuda monster wheel which is actually the original version of Sailrite's wheel for about $100 US on Amazon. It helps a lot, only downside is it's harder to disengage the internals for winding bobbins. I just leave it engaged and let the needle go up and down while winding. Not a problem. Check out their video showing the differences between thier machines and the "knockoffs". (Actually the Sailrite is a knockoff too, the original was the Thompson.) They show some parts that will likely break and they have beefed up on their versions, and sure enough two parts did break on my Rex. But Sailrite will sell you those parts and they're drop in replacements. Not expensive either.
They started breaking parts when the monster wheel came out. It also was too heavy for the bobbin clutch and the posi pin added to correct that issue. Use any clone without the monster wheel and they don't break parts...and the bobbin clutch works fine too
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You mention a Ratsey sock. We had a Ratsey Lapthorn (sp?) storm jib for that boat for a while, till Jim made us a new one. We had never seen, nor heard of a sock at the time, but there was a net with large holes sort of snuffer, called a Spinnaker Sally, that Jim just thought all fabric would be better. I thought he was the inventor, but perhaps I'm wrong, or maybe it was an idea whose time had come and sprung up all over the place, simultaneous invention.

Ann
Yep, same Ratsey. No telling who was first I guess. I remember "inventing" the hobie cat design several years before hobie came out. I tried to get my dad to finance a mfg facility to make them but he declined. Two years later hobie placed a small ad in surfer mag for his new invention...and the rest is history and a funny memory for me.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailrite, sewing machine