Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 08:32   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Chesapeake Sand Blaster

I am considering a 30+' steel boat that has rust damage but is floating. I would like to find a yard in Maryland that can haul, blast and repair the hull and deck. I would prefer one that does this kind of work routinely. Can anyone recommend one?

I hope to remove and refinish the interior, and spot repair damage as I find it. There had been 4 to 6" of standing saltwater in the bilges, and I have not determined the resulting damage. Is it possible to do a thorough job without removing the engine and running gear?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 13:38   #2

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I can't help you with a local sand blaster but as for sandblasting around the engine and drive train, I'd say it will not be a perfect job around the engine and mounts. If they are using a normal size blaster, they will have problems getting the hose and gun around the mounts. Also the sand gets everywhere so the engine would have to be wrapped in plastic an cocooned very tightly. I would say pull the engine and drive if you want them to do a proper job.

As for how much damage is done to the bottom plates, I guess that depends on how solid the inside finishing was, and how long the water sat there. I had an old HO-28 that has fresh water standing for a year or so. It ate halfway thru the 1/8 bottom plates right at the joint between keel and bottom plate. The water would evaporate down to a puddle then rain would fill it up again.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:07   #3

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
If you are going that far it might be a good idea to remove the engine and get it all.
I can't help with local knowledge but you might consider soda blasting. helps with a nutralizing effect and can be effective depending on what is there for coatings.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:14   #4

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Forgot to mention that you very well may want to remove the prop shaft. Aside from inspecting the shaft itself, the tube should be, It is an area that two metals that are distant on the galvanic scale are in close proximity to each other and in an oxigen deprived state (ie submerged in salt water)...a place to look for and prevent corrossion...
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote