Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 09:47   #1

Boat: None
Checkbook Yard or Contractor in Ft. Lauderdale

Hey we are in search of recommendations for a yard in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I didn't ask for recommendations when we bought Last Boat II, and we subsequently had some very poor experiences with service providers in Ft. Lauderdale. I hope to learn from that mistake.

I did the requisite search for other threads, they are quite old or the posters were looking for a DIY yard. We want to write a check and go sailing -- a checkbook yard.

Most of the work doesn't necessarily require a yard, so if you want to recommend a top-shelf contractor, I'd love to hear about someone dependable and fast.

If you're curious ... we are about to buy Last Boat III, and it's in Ft. Lauderdale. As always, first thing after the closing is some refit and upgrade work.

-
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:18   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Checkbook Yard or Contractor in Ft. Lauderdale

I don’t have any recommendations, but if you specify what sort of work you want done you’ll get better responses.

Ie, carpentry, electrical, plumbing....generator install, something like that will help out.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I don’t have any recommendations, but if you specify what sort of work you want done you’ll get better responses.

Ie, carpentry, electrical, plumbing....generator install, something like that will help out.
A fine point ... we'll be replacing a generator, retro-fitting air conditioning, and replacing a water maker.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:17   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You might try forum member R. Jordan, they've got a good rep and can probably refer you to a good resource if they don't do that work:

JORDAN YACHT AND SHIP COMPANY • 629 NORTHEAST THIRD STREET • DANIA BEACH, FLORIDA 33004
TEL: (954) 522-8650 • FAX: (954) 736-1648 • EMAIL: SALES[AT]JORDANYACHTS.COM • CRUISERS FORUM: JORDAN YACHTS
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 15:31   #5

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Beach bum....
If you can get the boat north just a bit to Ft Pierce, there are several good yards and contractors. You will save about 25% just getting out of Ft Lauderdale..... and run into contractors with slightly better ethics!!!! After servicing boats in Florida for over 30 years, we do everything possible to stay out of South Florida..
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 16:04   #6

I think you will find Ft L caters more to the high priced yards and rich owners. Ft Pierce area or maybe Crackerboys in West Palm may work out better. There used to be a yard in Dania that wasn't bad but not sure it's still there...? But Ft L may be just what you are looking for...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You might try forum member R. Jordan, they've got a good rep and can probably refer you to a good resource if they don't do that work ...
Jordan Yacht & Ship Co. is a respected yacht brokerage, not a boatwright. However, Rob Jordan (or staff) may be able to offer recommendations.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:50   #8

We can move the boat, of course. You know the rule: "Good, Fast, Cheap -- choose any two." In this one-time scenario, we need a yard or contractor we can believe in for Good and Fast. So if you've had a good experience with this kind of work anywhere along the coast, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:36   #9

The only do it yourself yard I know of in Ft lauderdale is Playboy on the Dania Cutoff canal. They are very good. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:49   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

I second the opinion to bring the boat to Fort Pierce and recommend Ron from REA Technical Services. I have known Ron for about 7 years and have always found him very professional and a man of his word. But just don't take it from me.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-205051.html

Electronics Services Ft Pierce
I am a delivery skipper. I was recently in the Gulfstream Northbound from Ft Lauderdale to Brunswick Georgia in a 10 year old 46 Catamaran sailboat. The autohelm went out and the vessel on the plotter was crabbing. The cabled steering was very loose and it was necessary to constantly adjust the course. Even lashing the wheel did not help. It was exhausting and inefficient. The owners gave me permission to stop in Ft Pierce to remedy the issue as they always cruise and steer with the auto helm. I was given several recommendations to call from some trade friends in the local area. Most everyone was booked for weeks and wouldn’t commit to any kind of emergency work. I got in contact with Ron Armentrout of REA Technical 609-675-5742. He texted me the factory technician phone number for my unit. I called the factory and did a troubleshoot with the factory rep. We determined the part that I needed. Ron Armentrout was on the west coast of Florida finishing up a job. I sent him a part number and he located and procured the part on the west coast of Florida. He texted me at 8:00 AM the next morning and said that he had the part and would meet the boat at 11:00 AM before he went home. Ron showed up. Replaced the part. Sea trialed the boat. Called the factory for all reset information and completely restored the system. All for the cost of the part and 3 hours labor including sea trial in the ocean. Ron is a transplant from New Jersey and REA is his new venture out of Ft Pierce. I was so impressed with the skills, service and professionalism of this man that I was compelled to post. I resume my delivery in the morning. I’m hoping this is in compliance with the Forums mission.

REA. Ron. 609-675-5742
Captain Bobby Childs
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:52   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

I see you are looking at redoing your Air Conditioning. I heartily recommend Flagship Marine Units.
Well built
KISS principal of controls
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
A fine point ... we'll be replacing a generator, retro-fitting air conditioning, and replacing a water maker.
I would find a marina or yard that allows contractors and use whomever you want for each item. You may find the A/C and Watermaker will be one contractor and the Gen Set another.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:58   #13

I second going north. Further south, further the cost. Get up north of Jupiter and you won’t regret it.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

If I'm understanding your question correctly, by "checkbook yard" you mean you want a hands-off approach, drop your boat off along with a list of things to be done, and then later get your boat back completed to your specifications, with them managing any subcontractors. Am I correct? That's going to be tough, no matter where you go. When I first bought my boat, it got hit by lightning over in Fort Myers, so I had the repairs done there. Even though it was largely managed by the yard, I still had to get involved to a degree.

So, if you want as close to hands-off as you can, there are several yards I can think of. Lauderdale Marine Center is one, about a quarter mile up up the New River from my dock. They have a mostly good reputation, though have changed management in the past few years and I cannot vouch for the current guys. Some friends just had their hurricane-damaged 51' Beneteau repaired at Broward Shipyard, and seemed happy with the work. There are others.

One company I can vouch for is Patagonia Services Division - Fort Lauderdale Boat Repair Center and Marine Shop | Patagonia Services Division - basically one guy working as an independent contractor out of Playboy Marine. He's helped me with stuff when I had my boat hauled there, was I cannot speak highly enough of him. Not sure if he does complete hands-off jobs like you're looking for, but get in touch and see if he can help you.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:05   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gordon-
I had also only known the brokerage, but when I went online to see if they were still in business (one never knows) I found a "Company" as well as a "Brokerage". WHich is why I said they could also refer the OP out.
One of their web listings says, supposedly by them: "Jordan Yachts was founded in the yachting capitol of the world, Fort Lauderdale, Florida in 1992. We became a dealer for both Cabo Rico and Hylas yachts during the 1990's. Business expanded to power, and we opened a yard office in the 1999. The yard office became the main office in the mid 2000's. Today we specialize in the sale of fine power and sail boats located in Fort Lauderdale. We look forward to helping you smoothly transition from sea to shore or shore to sea. "
Sounds like there's a "boatyard" side to the operations there. Dunno.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contract