Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2007, 16:41   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Chart table size.

I am just about to start building a chart table. But I was wondering what size the table for the chart should be. Who has what and would they wish it was different in size than what they have and so on.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 18:10   #2

Boat: H28
My chart table is built to take a chart folded in the middle, but its best feature is that it slides in and out to save space- see picture. It can be used effectively in either position. Has proved to be amazingly beneficial in use.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG
Views:	1223
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	974  
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 18:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Chartography?

I'm looking to put in a chart table in a few months time.

There really is not room for a full size chart table in my 44 (not if I want a plasma TV) so I'll probably go for a fold out one too.

What I am also looking to do is to put in lighting and a camera bracket so that I can photograph charts etc.

I figure I might be able to borrow charts from other cruisers for a few hours, and these days a digital image is almost better than hard copy.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 19:46   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
My chart table is pretty big - probably 1200mm wide x 800 deep. (4' x 2'8"). I like the big chart table thing. It has various lift out panels giving access to storage areas against the hull. I plan on putting in another panel with a recess for a laptop at some stage.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 20:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ChrisC, do you find folding the chart an issue for
a: working with the chart, like drawing lines and making marks etc
b: damage to the chart??

Weyalan, 1100 x 720 is the large chart size and I wouild like to go this big. But may have to do what Chris has done. However, does the table stay out all the time, or does it fold away or up or down or...??

Old 14-03-2007, 20:33   #6

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Weyalan, 1100 x 720 is the large chart size and I wouild like to go this big. But may have to do what Chris has done. However, does the table stay out all the time, or does it fold away or up or down or...??
Yeah - I like being able to fit a large chart on there.

That is what it looked like prior to the refit... sorry I don't have a more recent photo... but although the "look" has changed greatly, the actual basic layout hasn't.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 21:58   #7

Hi Alan On "little boat there is not enough room for a dedicated chart table but the saloon table is set up as half chart size. The table has a well fitting 2mm clear acrylic sheet that goes over the top of the chart so you can eat breakfast whilst plotting your course ! On "big boat l have built a fold up full size chart table . The fold is in the middle of the table so when you fold the table up it "closes" the table and protects the chart. This fold is also in the middle of the chart so that storage of the charts is a single fold........I HATE rolled up charts ! The Nav station is along the hull beside the cockpit (Centre cockpit) The table makes use of the space from the under side of the cockpit seat. This is the bit that dosnt fold up. The fold up section then folds up to the seat back allowing a clear walk way through. Hope that makes sense. Finally the fold up section can be folded right down leaving a half size table and a clear way through. Failing all that the "work bench" (which happens to be in the saloon) is half chart size for those times when a few people want to have a look at the chart. Hopefully not all trying to decide where the hell we are.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 22:04   #8

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Our last boat had a 3' x say <2' chart table. Worked fine for charts folded in 1/2 or 1/3 depending on size. No "standard" size of chart unfortunately. Current boat I'm rebuilding right now has about a 6' x 3' chart table

Pictures here: http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...rt%20table.jpg
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 22:41   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

6'X3"?? Holy crap that's big.

So for those that fold charts up to work on them, do they find it a hassle in anyway??? The working on them that is.

Old 14-03-2007, 22:56   #10

No ...not with one fold exactly in the middle...l thought that it may be a hassle if your position coincided with the fold and you had to flip the chart backwards and forwards all the time, but in practice it seems that once the chart goes over it stays there. The reason for the fold exactly in the middle is that you have no lips or creases for your pencils and nav tools to catch on. (chart plotter only boats may leave this conversation at any time.....)
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 02:25   #11

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Nigel Calder has some tips on working on folded charts in his The Cruising Handbook. The chart table on my boat is 3' x 2'. Unless I'm under way though, I use the chart at my salon table, as I can slide it around without folding, so the part I am working on is on the hard surface.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 06:36   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Ideally your chart table should provide a 24" x 36" space that fits most charts when folded. Large charts should be folded in 3rds from side to side and top to bottom with the back of the chart on the inside of the fold. In his manner 2/3rds of the face of the chart can be exposed. We have added a clear plastic cover that locks a chart in place on the chartable with thumb screws. To this we have added a pantograph that allows one to align a right angle plotting rule with a compass rose on the chart. Plots can then be maintained on the plastic cover without defacing the chart itself although I prefer not using the plastic and drawing directly on the chart with a 2H lead, which can later be erased with a gum eraser with little damage to a good quality chart. A nice chart table kit is available from Celestaire, Inc.: Chartmaster Plotting Board Kit . Cheers, s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 15:51   #13

Shiva has a large chart table for a 36' sloop... recently rebuilt. The instrument "dash" is raised above the table by an inch so it allows for even larger charts. Pictured is the BBA chartkit.

I like having a forward facing nav station as well as I can brace myself fairly easily to work on either tack and it allows me to see the graphic instruments from the companionway... where I perch when I single hand.

The chart table lid lifts and it is compartmented to hold all sorts of goodies. I fashioned a plexi sleeve pocket that is attached to the underside of the lid and holds various documents, and ref sheets. The shelf on the outboard side is quite handy as well for binocs, camera, cell phone and so forth.

The new instrument panels have small fiddles on top and these surface are handy for all sorts of small things, like keys, shackles, change assorted hardware, small buddhas, pencils etc. You can never have enough secure places to put things.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav06 small.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	976  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote