Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2011, 08:37   #1

Chainplates and Bedding Maintenance

I am in negotiations to purchase a 1981 Sabre 30, which has evidence of leaking deck fittings at three chainplates. I know the rigging is dynamic and deck fittings must be rebedded from time to time, but in looking at Sabre's to buy, it seems that they are particularly vulnerable to bulkhead damage. Is it nothing more than the fact that Sabre's chainplates attach to wooden bulkheads, which are more easily damaged by water than fiberglass? Also, this particular owner bedded with 4200 rather than Sabre's recommended 5200 because 5200 is so difficult. What do you recommend? Is the water damage simply a measure of the type of bedding compound used or not used enough?
Bets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 23:20   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Chainplates and Bedding Maintenance

Water damage to transverse bulkheads and bulkheads where the chainplates are attached is pretty much a spoiler for any deal to buy the boat unless you are being given the boat for free.
- - Without integrity the transverse bulkheads will allow the hull to canoe and can ultimately allow the rig to come down.
- - That said if the water damage is minimal then splicing in new or replacing damaged bulkheads can be done, but it normally requires some serious interior removal and work.
- - If the water damage is only to superficial or trim or cover panels and the structural bulkheads are not affected then that is another matter.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 06:58   #3

The rot is confined to just around the chainplate so at the owner's expense and under the supervision of a mutually agreed upon competent marine carpenter, the bulkheads will be spliced and made good to ABYC standards. But I just wonder about the maintenance of those deck fittings for the Sabre 30. Are these boats vulnerable or was this just the case of neglect?
Old 18-05-2011, 08:04   #4

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

If they are the same construction as my 34, they are vulnerable and require maintenance. It's a pretty simple task to lift the cover plate dig out the old chaulk and re-seal on an annual basis. You may get away with every other year imo.
I use 101. It's flexible. It sounds like the PO neglected this. I had a similar problem.

IF/when you un-step your mast, you can pull the chainplates and clean them up and do a more thorough job.
Old 18-05-2011, 08:58   #5

Thanks, Tempest! Sabre's technical advice guru was very helpful in sending schematics of the recommended fix to the bulkhead and at the end he said the deck fittings should be bedded with 5200. I don't see how owners would be able to lift the deck fittings with 5200 without considerable yard labor every year. I'm not familiar with 101, but if you use it every year, maybe that is the simple, effective, and cost efficient solution.
Old 18-05-2011, 09:12   #6

Hi Bets,

Others my weigh in with different advice. However, my experience is that the 101 adheres pretty well to the chainplate and the deck and remains flexible. When I need to replace it it's pretty simple to dig out the old and replace it.

On the sabre fix...did they recommend tabbing the new bulkhead in to the hull or simply marry the new one to the old?
Old 20-05-2011, 08:40   #7

The marine surveyor did his duty yesterday and found something he wasn't sure would matter other than handling in reverse. Here's the thing... the boat has a 2000 Yanmar as a replacement engine. This means the propeller is right rotation and the propeller shaft is also on the right side of the hull. What do you think?
Old 20-05-2011, 16:58   #8

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape - SailboatOwners.com
Check this out for bedding chainplates etc[Thanks Main Sail]
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 18:54   #9

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

The use of 5200 should be limited to permanent structural items only. Certainly not for use on chainplates and anyone who tells you to use that stuff on chainplates should be shot or at least fired or both but not in that order. Any good polysulfide or similar will do as well as butyl tape which is harder to work with and arguably doesn't last any longer so take your pick.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 19:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bets View Post
The marine surveyor did his duty yesterday and found something he wasn't sure would matter other than handling in reverse. Here's the thing... the boat has a 2000 Yanmar as a replacement engine. This means the propeller is right rotation and the propeller shaft is also on the right side of the hull. What do you think?
According to this article you would need to know the original rotation.

SABRE 28: A Solid Pocket Cruiser

I also Found this:

Sabre 30 Engine Replacement

To be sure, I would just call sabre, they are always helpful.

My prop shaft exits on the port side, with a right hand rotation.
Old 20-05-2011, 19:22   #11

Wow! Steamgoat, that link was infinitely eye opening. Thank you for a terrific read. I've copied the link for reference.
Old 20-05-2011, 19:36   #12

To be sure, I would just call sabre, they are always helpful.

My prop shaft exits on the port side, with a right hand rotation.[/QUOTE]

Tempest, I did contact Sabre and the technical guru said it will cause a very slight difference in handling and that I probably will not notice it because I didn't have the experience of the original Volvo left rotation. Well then, a sailboat not behaving nicely in reverse! Won't that be just a slight change?

Tags
maintenance