Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 10:41   #1

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
Chainplate Rebedding

good day everyone. this spring im thinking its time to rebed my chainplates as this winter i noticed a little moisture coming through one of them. i am planning on doing one at a time but would like to hear peoples comments as too what product they are using to rebed. thanks everyone
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 11:05   #2

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
I used Sikaflex (291) with good results.

On my Sigma 33 OOD I was able to just lift a cover from the deck, clean them and rebed it. No need to loosen or remove stays or shrouds; there is enough room to lift them for cleaning. Most important trick after thorough cleaning is to not tighten the covers to the deck but leave a nice thick layer of sikaflex (use matches as gauge). After setting you can tighten the covers a little.
sigmasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 15:15   #3

Boat: Nimble30 'Sweet Pea'
Butyl tape: lasts forever, easy to install and cleanup- and cheap. Available in white, black, and gray.
gardnsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 15:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
If this is an older boat I would be really tempted to pull the chainplates for inspection before rebedding. Stainless steel is subject to crevasse corrosion and it would be prudent to see what the hidden area of the chain plates looks like, especially if you have seen water dripping through into the cabin.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 16:09   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
The polyurethanes (3M 5200, Sika 291, etc.) are excellent adhesives but suffer from UV exposure and can be difficult/impossible to remove. The polysulfides (Lifecaulk, 3M 301) are more flexible, UV resistant and can be removed if necesary. Butyl tape is very flexible, dirt cheap, easy to use and lasts for decades. In your application, where the parts are held mechanically and no additional adhesive is necesary, I would use butyl tape or a polysulfide. Another member, "Maine Sail", has an excellent post on the subject which goes into greater detail. Worth the search if you can find it.

Best of luck,
Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 04:16   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Island Packet Yachts recommends using GE SilPruf for the chainplates. I re-bedded mine by cutting and picking out the old caulk from the cavities where the shrouds exit the deck, cleaning the area with alcohol, letting it dry out, then re-filling the cavities with the Silpruf. Still good after four years, including a few rough offshore passages.
Old 19-02-2010, 04:23   #7

Boat: Islander Mark II 30, 30ft - Zephyr
I just bought a book by Don Casey from Amazon for 10 buck called Sailboat hull and deck repair. I talks about this very product. I would recommend picking it up. Talks about inspection, and the products to use to reseat and seal.
Captin_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 06:29   #8

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
thanks for all the replies this GE silpruf could it also be used to rebed windows?
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 06:03   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
thanks for all the replies this GE silpruf could it also be used to rebed windows?
Probably.

Structural glazing applications require that GE Silicones give written approval of the use of GE SilPruf® SCS2000 Silicone Sealant for each building project. Drawing review and substrate testing must be completed prior to sealant use on a project. Review and testing is done on a job -to-job basis. No blanket approval is given by GE Silicones for structural glazing applications. Use only approved back-up materials, spacers and setting blocks to ensure sealant compatibility and function. GE SilPruf SCS2000 Silicone Sealant is not recommended for use where abrasion or physical abuse is encountered in horizontal joints on- or below-grade.

The sealant is not recommended for use in locations subject to continuous water immersion.

SilPruf may be considered a candidate for use with numerous construction-related materials, including: glass, polycarbonate, vinyl, numerous plastics, treated and untreated wood, fluoropolymer and powder coated paints, conversion-coated and anodized aluminum, brick, terra-cotta, ceramic and porcelain materials, concrete and natural stones.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 07:03   #10

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Sounds very similar to Dow 795

http://www.meiglobalsolutions.com/im...corning795.pdf
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 09:23   #11

Boat: Nimble30 'Sweet Pea'
I re-glazed my port lights just last week with Dow 795 (black) at the suggestion of my refitting guru despite the fact that the frames do not provide the minimum joint size of 1/4" as specified by DowCorning. The results look great and they don't leak (so far) but what a pain in the a$$ it is to mask the glass and frames.
I will use butyl tape to re-bed the port light frames back in the hull.
The advantage, I think, of butyl tape for chain plate bedding is that it can be easily removed if necessary or one could simply pack more in if needed. Clean up's a snap too. The stuff deserves a place in everybody's tool kit.
gardnsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chain plate