Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 08:27   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
CeRam-kote barrier coating reviews?

Got the hull soda blasted down to the gel coat fixed gel coat cracks and blisters...time for barriercoat. I’ve came across this stuff called CeRam kote.looks like some pretty good stuff. Anything used in the petrochemical industry is usually the best as they have more money then god for research and supplies and have billions of dollars on the line. Seems like they use this stuff for offshore oil rigs, and marine industry uses it on tankers etc.some google research has fond people have used on boats as barrier coat. With pros being; goes on easy with one application( then I shall use three haha). Added strength to the hull, more impervious to water intrusion then epoxy? Cons; permanent and hard to sand( which doesn’t seem like a con to me as long as it’s on correctly) and I’m a little unclear of the process of applying ablative paint to it. Seems you have to paint within 24 hrs. Well what happens after a year or two and you need to repaint the bottom? Any one have long term trials with this stuff. I’m really leaning to it. I plan on doing extended cruising where ever the wind takes me and I’m going for low maintenance minimal haul outs, and longevity here. I’ve got a 32 foot cruiser.
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 09:01   #2

Re: CeRam-kote barrier coating reviews?

http://ceram-kote.com/downloads/CeRam-Kote-99M-PDS.pdf
Old 30-01-2018, 14:55   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Unless there's a huge financial incentive why not go with a known entity?
Orion Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 15:29   #4

This if it's what it says it is it's a win win? Cheaper,easier to put on,and better then epoxy and or epoxy paint.
Old 30-01-2018, 16:26   #5

Am having a hard time figuring what can possibly be so much better than epoxy on a fiberglass hull....
But then I'm learning all the time. Ceramic can't have more flex? What sticks to it?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 16:49   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The PDF makes it clear that the product IS NOT A CERAMIC despite their contrary claim. The product is simply an epoxy coating, like so many other barrier coats. But this one is heavily doped with ceramic particles.

You could take conventional West epoxy, mix in gobs of fine sand, and essentially have the same thing. The benefit here would be that the "sand" is a very fine ceramic (dust?) so the filler still allows for a smooth thin coating.

The product could be great, but calling it a "ceramic" seems outright deceptive.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 16:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have used Ceram-kote. It is meant for steel boats, where you want to keep the hull from getting scratched, as rust would then begin. We used it in bow thruster tubes where everything else tended to wear off. The ceramic particles make it very abrasion resistant.
However, for a fiberglass boat, I don't see any advantage, especially since it's stinky, expensive, and hard to sand if you want to re-coat down the road.
Old 30-01-2018, 17:04   #8

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

In addition to Benz's points above, I'd add that the ceramic filler will make this stuff very stiff, ie unflexible. Fiberglass flexes a lot. I'd wonder whether this stuff might have a tendency to crack off of a flexing fiberglass hull over time. I see no advantage in using a ceramic filled epoxy for your application.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 17:11   #9

Im Not sure of the ratings for epoxy. Hence this thread . I'm no pro I've only been using West system with great results however not as barrier coating. i may be wrong but I suspect their epoxy barrier coat is superior to the 2 part "paint types" that I would assume are dumbed down for better coverage and easy application for non professionals. I know They have been working for years on millions of boats, and don't doubt their effectiveness. Just wondering is this stuff is just as good or possibly better. Seems when used on metal boats the zinc's last for years due to the ceramic. I assume the ceramic is alot harder and tougher then eopxy. From what I've read and 80 grid sanding disc will only sand a square foot before being done . Says it's flexible too ( more or less so compared to epoxy I don't know numbers). Is Micha and or aluminium the addative in the leading barrier coats? I'd think ceramic would be better. I work in oil refineries and power plants and the materials chemicals etc. They use stuff there are much better then what the rest of us in the real world use. And often times aren't found on the regular market Or advertised. Just trying to get some feed back. Any how
this is what ceram kote states about their product. They have a few but the ceram kote 99m is their marine grade version. I did contact the sales rep today he answered promptly. Should I invite him to weigh in, not sure of the edduacate here on the forums, and don't want to sound like I'm pushing a product because I'm not.

A thin-film Ceramic Epoxy coatings Technology with advanced performance properties.
THE "BE THERE" PROPERTY:

Adhesion: measured at >3,000 psi (20.7 Mpa) over carbon steel with very high adhesion values on most substrates. CeRam*Kote 99® also provides excellent adhesion over hydro-blasted surfaces.

MECHANICAL PERFORMANCE PROPERTIES:

Abrasion resistance: CeRam*Kote 99® has only 23 mg loss at 1,000 cycles.

Flexibility: measured at 15% elongation

Lubricity: measured at a static coefficient of friction value similar to Teflon (PTFE) coatings materials, which when coupled with its toughness and extremely high adhesion, creates a performance property delivering Teflon-like lubricity for service in all tough and abrasive working environments.

CORROSION RESISTANCE PROPERTIES: TOP OF THE SCALE

OTHER PERFORMANCE PROPERTIES:

Field repairable: CeRam*Kote 99®chemically bonds to itself with minimal surface preparation.

Machineable: When cured, CeRam*Kote 99®can be honed to achieve tight tolerances.

Time-saving application: CeRam*Kote 99®a one-coat, two-pass, ambient cured system which is applied directly to the properly prepared substrate without need of a primer.

For performance properties beyond comparison, ask for CeRam*Kote 99®a ceramic high performance coatings for use in tough environments to protect expensive equipment.
Old 30-01-2018, 17:12   #10

Ok didn't see the other posts before I wrote that. Maybe it's not the diamond in the ruff..
Old 30-01-2018, 17:17   #11

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Jumping on here. Curious to hear if anyone has had any luck with this stuff.
Old 30-01-2018, 17:27   #12

As I said I wouldn't know any better but when I was doing my due diligence on inter ptotecti saw their schpeil on the " plates" in the addative that stack up to better block water osmosis..and to me sounded like b.s. how would these plates know how to lay on top of each other? One would assume gravity would have them settle that was kind of like the bottom of a goldscholgger bottle. But on a hull it's usually upside down or vertical and being as viscious as it has to be not to drip. In my mind sounded like something I'd hear in an infomercial at 3am. Just my thoughts.
Old 31-01-2018, 08:38   #13

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastward ho 24 View Post
As I said I wouldn't know any better but when I was doing my due diligence on inter ptotecti saw their schpeil on the " plates" in the addative that stack up to better block water osmosis..and to me sounded like b.s. how would these plates know how to lay on top of each other? One would assume gravity would have them settle that was kind of like the bottom of a goldscholgger bottle. But on a hull it's usually upside down or vertical and being as viscious as it has to be not to drip. In my mind sounded like something I'd hear in an infomercial at 3am. Just my thoughts.
Interlux InterProtect barrier coat does something similar. Per their description: "Formulated with Micro-plates® that create an overlapping barrier to eliminate any direct path for water migration."

I don't know how it compares or contrasts to CeRam Kote.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:27   #14

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Believe it or not, Sherwin Williams makes an outstanding 2 part epoxy barrier coat. It was originally developed for the military in 5 gal drums, but is now available in 1 gal cans. This product is what is primarily used in our area by the "blister fixer" companies. Had mine done 9 years ago after Interlux 2000 failed! Dry to this day. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:27   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If the "plates" are anything like mica or graphite? Somehow, yes, they do align and stack tightly when piled up. Put all your dished in the sink, are they magically lying flat on each other? Even if it is full of water, like a "coating" full of particles?

Electrostatic forces, gravity, surface tension compressing the fluid around them...dunno what or which it is, but yes, "plates" can be aligned in a fluid and when it cures they can be set in place that way.

Will it be a dragonskin armor plate? Maybe not, but there are literally folks working on nanoparticles for just that purpose. FWIW.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews