Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 18:55   #1

Boat: Riva 48
Central vacuums

I have been looking for a new vacuum for the boat. Currently, I have a 4A corded vacuum (450W) that does an OK job but there is still more dust in the boat that I would like to have.

I looked at central vacuums and most of these seem to require dirt bags, some HEPA, some regular. Would it make sense to have a central vacuum that exhausts the air outside the boat (hopefully downwind), that would need no filter (probably just a basic filter grid to catch coins and large particles)?

Thanks,
SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 19:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Central vacuums

Well that would of course require a hole in the hull, but I guess no bag is something.
We use this, $60 and has a cleanable filter, bought s second filter and every couple of months change it out, and wash the dirty one and of course let it throughly dry.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I doubt it’s a HEPA, pretty sure it’s not actually. But it does filter all the dust out, actually a good little vacuum cleaner, run it off the inverter of course.
We also have a 28V Milwaukee wet / dry vac that I originally wanted to use for house cleaning, but it turns out that a vacuum made for that is better.
I considered a central Vac myself but the long hose storage turned me off, you can mitigate that by plumbing in hard lines to each room, but that’s way too much work for a vacuum to me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:10   #3

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Re: Central vacuums

Would highly recommend this central vac......everyone who has seen ours has installed one in their boats.
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Products-9...4&sr=8-1-fkmr0

It is a Red Devil vac for RV use. Very small container with bags. We installed in our 52’ monohull under settee in salon....has 50’ hose which reaches all of boat but it is slinky and expandable and shrinks to nothing....stores in a drawer. Great attachments for hard floors and rugs. I even vacuum the cockpit when at anchor and watermaker water is scarce...works great!!!

We have a lot of rugs on teak and holly, so this is unbeatable!!! Only shortcoming is that it is only a dry vac....so cannot suck up that odd spot of water....but that is true for most regular vacs.

I feel spoiled but love it!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote