Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 15:03   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Centerboard cable blues

Hi all, well things were going really well for awhile there until today...Some background info"
When we brought my boat down here the centerboard was up the whole time and the winch had a problem...Since the board was up and I could enter the channel etc. I figured it would be something for later. Then a few months ago I found this pulley that came loose(see pix).It was glued to the hull with a small screw or two...No sweat, reconnect the pulley and all will be good again...Well, today I noticed that the cable is now taught from the winch to the next pulley in line which is at the front of the motor...it is really snug...I am thinking that the centerboard has now decided to drop down...When I pulled on the cable, the pulley by the front of the motor sounded as if it wanted to tear free from the flimsy little bit of anchor remaining...I will have to dive her manana but I am quite certain the board has dropped...
A) How do I get the pulley secured again with the cable taught and the centerboard down? How can I lift up the centerboard?
B)How can I replace the pulley at the front of the motor? It is totally shot...the plastic on the bottom is about gone...
Thanks for the help in the past and thanks in advance for this new issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 new ones 003.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	113080   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 new ones 004.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	113081  

mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 15:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Centerboard cable blues

Pull her up to a launch ramp mrlee !

Easier on a rising tide, cause you can keep walking the boat forward on the dock, and float off if issues arise...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 16:14   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Centerboard cable blues

Have not yet had any CB problems on Cbreeze, but have thought a lot about if and when that day comes. I carry a strap made from seat belt material with the idea that the strap and two jib sheet winches could pull it up in an emergency. Don't see why a piece of line could not serve the same purpose. That board part way down stuck in the mud with the boat rocking around gives me the willies.

As for the block, looks like a typical cheek block (pretty common) and if you clean/ scuff the surfaces good, epoxy can develop a lot of strength with that much area. West G10 is a good repair epoxy but others should work.

Diving for a look see sounds like a good first step.

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard