Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2019, 21:25   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Catalina Genoa T track

Just scratching my head here and hope somebody can help
I removed the Genoa T track on our 2006 Catalina to find out where my water leak comes from
Re fitting the track I assumed there would be something between the outer glass and the inner liner to spread the load
There is nothing in most places and a gap of about 20 mm between the outer and inner
So my thinking is all the Stress on the t track is being transferred to the inner liner
That sound strange to me and I’m tempted to fill that gap with thickened epoxy on the other hand I think Catalina does know how to build boats
I would love some thoughts on this
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 08:48   #2

Re: Catalina Genoa T track

Catalina knows how to build boats, but doesn’t always build them well.

Your track was through bolted to a balsa cored deck. If your track was leaking water into the cabin, it was also leaking water into the balsa core. The wet balsa core has rotted and crumbled to the point that you can not find it any longer.

This damage has surely spread well outside the area of the track, and REQUIRES a major repair of the deck structure. A surveyor or fiberglass repair tech can identify the damaged area for you.

Do not just fill the area under the track without fixing the rest of the water damage!

Sorry for the bad news.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 14:01   #3

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft
Re: Catalina Genoa T track

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Catalina knows how to build boats, but doesn’t always build them well.

Your track was through bolted to a balsa cored deck. If your track was leaking water into the cabin, it was also leaking water into the balsa core. The wet balsa core has rotted and crumbled to the point that you can not find it any longer.

This damage has surely spread well outside the area of the track, and REQUIRES a major repair of the deck structure. A surveyor or fiberglass repair tech can identify the damaged area for you.

Do not just fill the area under the track without fixing the rest of the water damage!

Sorry for the bad news.
It is bad news, but excellent advice. Definitely need a surveyor that knows about balsa cored decks.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote