Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 13:14   #1

Boat: Casacde 36
Cascade 36 Blister Potential?

HAve my boat hauled and the old bottom paint is deteriorating, causing later applied layers of ablative paint to flake off.
Before I begin grinding it all off, and applying new Micron 66, what is the probability that I will encounter hull blisters on a boat of this type/ age (the hull was laid in 1973). Would they be noticeable before I begin grinding?
If I did discover some blisters, what would be the downside of ignoring them until the next haul (I realize I will then have to grind off the area, to fix the blister, before re painting).

I have never come across a Cascade owner who has ever mentioned hull blistering before so would welcome your feedback.
Thanks
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 13:48   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Cascade 36 blister potential?

it may have had hard bottom paint still on the hull when ablative paint was then applied over it. that's usually a no-no. different types of paint can't normally be applied over each other; check the advice of the paint manufacturer.

i also had paint flaking but for a different reason. i only use hard bottom paint (pettit trinidad) and usually a couple of coats every four years. but eventually the paint gets so thick that new paint won't adhere to it and it flakes off. i spent last summer grinding off about ten layers of old hard bottom paint....

can't advise you on blistering. i have a csy and i've never heard of a csy with blisters, although one yard worker tried to convince me that old barnacle marks at the waterline was blistering. thought he had himself a thousand dollar job. i asked him if he ever heard of barnacles....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 14:09   #3

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria
Re: Cascade 36 blister potential?

I have a 1974 42' Cascade and a close friend has a 1975 36' Cascade.
As we are in Portland I have looked at many Cascade's.rarely is there more then a couple of blisters.
On our Two boats there may be a dozen small blisters. The way I look at it if a 40 year old boat has a few very small blisters, how bad can they get?
The 36' had a few small ones ( 7 -8 pencil eraser size ) in one area. we sanded them off filled them with thickened epoxy repainted with pettit trinidad.
On mine I put on a barrier coat of interlux 2000 only because I had moved it from a driveway where it sat for 25 years to my driveway where I finished it and then went sailing. I figured the hull would never be dryer.
Tim
PS I will haul out the end of August in Astoria to repaint as it has been 5 1/2 years.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:51   #4

Boat: Casacde 36
Re: Cascade 36 Blister Potential?

Astori Huh? Why there, if you are in Victoria?
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:16   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I have a csy to, never got a blister , what we do years ago is to remove the previous antifouling to bare gelcoat and barrier coat the bottom with at least 12 coats of interprotect 2000e after moisture meter survey and soundings test, interprotect come in 2 colors , white and grey, we use the grey color coat by coat, with the white we never put a full coat with the same amount as grey, no idea why...

My sugestion its if you reach bare gelcoat or old primer stuff and found no blisters , for peace of mind barrier coat, and if you found blisters is something to consider, do it properly, peel the bottom or just fix the blisters..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:17   #6

You should be able to see blisters before you start grinding. give a close look at the reflection while the bottom is still wet from pressure washing.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:26   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

The blisters on my Cascade 42 were raised bumps that when pressed feel soft. I didn't have many. Hull was laid up in the early 70s.

If you find a few just pop them and dig out the delamination then fill with a little cloth and filler using epoxy.
Old 09-04-2014, 19:50   #8

Boat: Cascade 36

My Cascade 36 was laid in '75 I believe. I bought it 10/2011 and the surveyor found one or two possible blister spots during the survey. A year later I pulled it out for bottom paint and couldn't find anything.

I clean my own hull and whether or not you can detect them in the water I have yet to find anything that would cause me concern during the cleanings.

Jeff
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 18:31   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You should be able to see blisters before you start grinding. give a close look at the reflection while the bottom is still wet from pressure washing.
A good sanding showed that there were high spots where you could see the white gel coat through the bottom paint where the blisters were. If there is a bump that is not soft then it might just be a blemish. If it is soft it'll be a blister.
Old 16-07-2015, 19:43   #10

Boat: Cascade 36

I know this is an old thread but for future reference of others here's a few shots of my hull during this years haulout.

These were taking after sanding the hull in prep for bottom paint. Basically there are a few blisters but they are fairly small and I'm not messing with them this time. The biggest one was nickel or quarter sized. I did take a bunch of pics and I hope to be able to compare and see how things are progressing at the next haulout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150716_113956.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	105497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150716_114012.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	105498  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150716_113822.jpg