Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2010, 01:29   #1

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Exclamation Carpeted Trailer / Cradle Pads = Accelerated Osmosis

In my career I've come accross a lot of boat owners that cover their trailer and cradle pads with carpet to protect the underside of the hull where it rests and this may seem like good practice....not quiet.

I'm currently treating a boat for osmosis that hasn't even seen the water yet which is a absolute shame.
The moisture readings are low as expected throughout the hull until you come to the areas where the boat rested on the carpeted pads, the moisture readings go through the roof and there is visual evidence of glycol blistering.
Athough the boat has never been in the water it did sit on its trailer for some years, exposed to rain, which soaked the carpeted pads and being a lot less dense, the rainwater migrated through the gelcoat a lot faster than that of saltwater.
For me I'll be using pads cut from old tyres which drain of water faster after a bout of rain and it's a lot easier and cheaper to deal with the black marks left behind.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 02:09   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Damn shame to see damage caused by good intentions. That's a good notice to one and all.
Old 22-05-2010, 06:29   #3

Thanks for the heads up.
Puddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cradle, osmosis