Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2016, 08:15   #1

Boat: F&C 44
Carbon fiber chainplates

Has anyone looked into replacement chainplates out of carbon fiber? I was recently reading of a new Bob Perry custom design where the hull and chainplates will be carbon fiber. Perhaps a good idea where all will be laid up as one unit but practical as a replacement on a conventional glass hull?

Some boats were made with SS plates glassed into the hull rather than bolted on, a major glass project to be sure. Rather than reglass new SS plates would it be possible to bond carbon fiber to the hull and form a chainplate stub? Obviously quite a bit of engineering as to size, strand orientation, bond area and rigging attachment would be required. No need for the cf plate to resemble the original plates, in fact the term 'plate' could be misleading, it need only to perform the same function.

The advantages I see are the elimination of corrosion issues, leaks if bonded to the deck and some weight saving.

Just a thought experiment for now so cost is not an issue but I don't believe it would be less than a SS replacement.

Any Ideas?

Steve
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 08:39   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Carbon fiber chainplates

You would need to imbed steel bushings in your lay-up for pins etc, not that easy.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 19:18   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

There's no future for carbon fiber in yachting.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:34   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSails View Post
Has anyone looked into replacement chainplates out of carbon fiber? I was recently reading of a new Bob Perry custom design where the hull and chainplates will be carbon fiber. Perhaps a good idea where all will be laid up as one unit but practical as a replacement on a conventional glass hull?

Some boats were made with SS plates glassed into the hull rather than bolted on, a major glass project to be sure. Rather than reglass new SS plates would it be possible to bond carbon fiber to the hull and form a chainplate stub? Obviously quite a bit of engineering as to size, strand orientation, bond area and rigging attachment would be required. No need for the cf plate to resemble the original plates, in fact the term 'plate' could be misleading, it need only to perform the same function.

The advantages I see are the elimination of corrosion issues, leaks if bonded to the deck and some weight saving.

Just a thought experiment for now so cost is not an issue but I don't believe it would be less than a SS replacement.

Any Ideas?

Steve

Having built new boats this way, I can tell you a retrofit would be astronomically expensive. The reason being, the chain plate layup must fan out on both sides of the hull, as well as wrapping over the titanium thimble. In a retrofit, rather than new construction, this would mean cutting out the deck and accessing a large area of hull interior in way of all chainplates. That would require a lot of large holes in the deck on most boats, which would then have to be repaired. It'd almost be easier to remove the entire deck and lift it up for access to the needed areas. Also, if the hull is cored, a solid block out (no core) is required to laminate the chainplates to. This is generally designed in, by tapering the core off to nothing in the triangular area of the chainplate layup, and having inner and outer skins meet in a solid laminate to accept the chainplate layup without creating a high spot. This would be extremely difficult to do after the fact in most boats, therefore expensive.

What you want to look at instead is simply replacing SS chainplates with titanium, which isn't as expensive as it used to be.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:39   #5

Sorry to hijack your thread, are titanium chain plates compatible with other metals? What's the corrosion profile like?
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:58   #6

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

6AL-4V (grade 5) Titanium is very close to 316L SS on the galvanic scale. I purchased 6 chain plate blanks (1.5" X 20" X .25") from Allied Titanium along with 36 fasteners of same grade for just under 1k. I have not installed them yet as it's summer and that's when we play, but I would recommend going this route as well for corrosion issues. CF is about the most noble thing on the planet and you will need to isolate anything other metal parts.
Old 01-08-2016, 13:55   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

No big deal.

Quite many boats with grp or carbon plates around.

However, going carbon for structural anchors many owners decide for pbo/etc rigging and so the carbon chainplates most often do not look quite like what we understand by chainplates (in SS/bronze) anymore.

Typically on less expensive boats they will be laminated into a tunnel of sorts with a pin passing thru to anchor the rigging element.

New materials, new methods, new thinking.

http://www.ayc-yachtbroker.com/sites...ateau/3275.jpg

As far as corrosion is concerned, you may be off the mark at times since carbon is highly conductive, so it may not corrode by itself but it may add to super-fast deterioration of adjacent elements (e.g. alloy plates).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 14:04   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

This is I think the most common method today.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/att...chainplate.jpg

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
6AL-4V (grade 5) Titanium is very close to 316L SS on the galvanic scale. I purchased 6 chain plate blanks (1.5" X 20" X .25") from Allied Titanium along with 36 fasteners of same grade for just under 1k. I have not installed them yet as it's summer and that's when we play, but I would recommend going this route as well for corrosion issues. CF is about the most noble thing on the planet and you will need to isolate anything other metal parts.
Interesting, ....pretty reasonable price