Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 06:41   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
can you roll g-Flex the way barrier coat is applied?

Back i 2004 I wrapped my keel-hull joint in 24oz biaxial tape using polyester resin. and then polyester paste to fair. At that time i also applied Epoxy barrier coat to entire bottom.
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - phorvati's Album: Epoxy Barrier coat and keel bolts - Picture

Since then, i no longer had the typical C&C smile in the keel-hull joint area. However, i do have few hairline cracks, likely from keel flexing. I have removed the bottom paint from the area and was wondering if it made sense to apply G-flex in hope of eliminating the hairline cracks from coming back. I believe they would be big enough to let water in. The area is pretty dry as the boat was out of the water since last october.

Would it make sense to roll liquid G-flex, https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=8694
or maybe apply CSM or lighter variant of fiberglass tape with G-flex in order to prevent these hairline cracks from coming back. usually i haul out every year, but I'd like the option to keep the boat in the water multiple years.
phorvati is online now   Reply With Quote