Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 11:15   #1

Boat: Yankee 30'
can you identify this steering cylinder?

Please help. Some years ago I ordered online and installed all the components for the autopilot on a 40' yawl including the ram / cylinder. The Hydraulic cylinder developed a slow leak at both ends. The system has seen very little use, so I hope replacing the seals would do the job.
It's a brass cylinder 2"OD, 12" stroke with 3/4" rod dia. Problem is, the manufacturer did not feel confident enough to put their name on it and we can't find any records or brochures on it. So, if someone recognizes the make/model or where to find the replacement parts or recommend facility (preferably central Florida) that can rebuild it, please let me know. Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_085708.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	169606   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_085737.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	169607  

sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:30   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: can you identify this steering cylinder?

Can't recommend any since I'm not in Tampa, but google 'hydraulic cylinder repair' and you'll find plenty. Go to one who services ag or construction equipment for the best price...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:38   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Looks similar to a SeaStar...except for that end cap held by screws.

Small cylinders like that are not hard to rebuild. If there is no scoring or excessive wear on the shaft/cylinder then its just a matter of replacing seals, which are typically just o-rings.

I would download the service manual for several small steering rams and see what looks most similar.

For SeaStars the only uncommon tool you need is an appropriately sized pin wrench to remove the end plugs.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 13:38   #4

Here's a photo of a steering cylinder set up as a linear drive for an autopilot, as well as the repair components for it. This is a Capilano brand cylinder, which is ( or was) a commercial division of Sea Star.

As the other posters mention, just take your cylinder to a local hydraulic supply house and they will be able to supply everything you need for repair. As seen in the foto, this cylinder uses two cup type seals back to back on the piston, two lip seals, one on each end of the cylinder where the piston rod exits the cylinder body, and two O rings where the center tube fits into the cast bronze end pieces.
All of these were less than $20.00...... Mind as well get a few spares at the same time...

DougR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	169612  
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 14:31   #5

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Agreed.

Some parts look similar to my Seastar cylinder except my cylinders are aluminium.

My end caps came off with a PITA system of rotating the end while pulling out a soft metal strip. Other than that they were a breeze to work on. I had a local seal shop supply the seals and I fitted them easily.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:11   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.antea View Post
Please help. Some years ago I ordered online and installed all the components for the autopilot on a 40' yawl including the ram / cylinder. The Hydraulic cylinder developed a slow leak at both ends. The system has seen very little use, so I hope replacing the seals would do the job.
It's a brass cylinder 2"OD, 12" stroke with 3/4" rod dia. Problem is, the manufacturer did not feel confident enough to put their name on it and we can't find any records or brochures on it. So, if someone recognizes the make/model or where to find the replacement parts or recommend facility (preferably central Florida) that can rebuild it, please let me know. Stan
Try Hynautic, as a guess?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 17:36   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Looks like my Wagner. Mine is 25+ years old. Rebuild kits are available. I rebuilt mine 6 months ago.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 17:45   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Products - Wagner Engineering Ltd.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 04:03   #9

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

My buddy Adam is a machinist in FL that does a ton of work on really large hydraulics. This is a baby he posted yesterday for his friend to show how to measure and ID hydraulic seals etc. He takes it apart and shows all the wear components.

Might be helpful to review most of the time hydraulic parts are all stock dimensions and their repair is remove and replace. I think other than a pin spanner the two tools he used are a screw driver and a pick.

He has tons of videos on repairs, welding, machining and hydraulics.

https://youtu.be/XPzOw5mtVM8
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 20:04   #10

I rebuilt my Wagner (45 years old). Found a 70 buck rebuild kit on line, and sourced the parts locally for 30. Take it apart and take the seals and o rings, star retainers to a hydraulic shop. Tricky part was getting the seals over the Pistons, used a large socket to stretch them over for 5 minutes, and they stretched the rest of the way over the Piston.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering