Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2024, 18:18   #1

Can I paint over nonskid if itís in good shape?

The previous owner put down some of the gritty nonskid about 10 years ago and itís in great shape but itís starting to wear just enough that you can see the color of the sand (?) and it always kind of looks dirty. Can I throw a fresh coat of paint over it? I honestly wouldnít mind if it was bit less grippy after because it is pretty course .
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 18:46   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Can I paint over nonskid if itís in good shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
The previous owner put down some of the gritty nonskid about 10 years ago and it’s in great shape but it’s starting to wear just enough that you can see the color of the sand (?) and it always kind of looks dirty. Can I throw a fresh coat of paint over it? I honestly wouldn’t mind if it was bit less grippy after because it is pretty course .

I have painted over my non-skid deck once and it feels quite safe. But I wouldn't think of doing it again as it would possibly become dangerous.

I have an area which needs to be sanded for the first time. I am planning to use 2 part polyurethane paint. I'd give the deck a coat of paint then sprinkle "play sand" over the wet paint. The next day I'll sweep the loose sand off the deck and give it a final coat.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 20:13   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, nuru05,

Do you know for sure what was put down before? Because the solvents for single pack vx. double pack urethanes are different, and if you put 2 part down over 1 part, it's solvents will lift the lot. 1 part will not lift 2part.

Good quality enamel paint is available, and can go over one or 2 part polyurethane without problems.

Mask off the non non-skid portions and fittings carefully.

We've used the glass beads available for non skid, rather than sand. They will glisten when it's time to re-coat.

Good luck with your project.

Ann
Old 23-06-2024, 20:24   #4

Boat: Cal 33-2

Why not use something like Total Boat TotalTread non-skid deck paint?
Old 24-06-2024, 18:43   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

While one-part polyurethanes will go over 2-part paints with no problems, we tried it and found that the one-part wore off quite quickly. (Less than a season.) If you're not sure what's underneath it's the safer bet. But if you can determine that the original was 2-part, use 2-part for the overcoat. It will last years longer (our held up for ten) and the paint is not that much more expensive.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint