Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 03:44   #46

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Can anyone identify this tool?

Thats used for adjusting the whistling pin on the mumbling shaft.
Old 20-04-2019, 06:04   #47

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Speaking in the wild & not knowing your boat. Could it be a lifting mechanism?
Lifting keel or something like that?
Can your mast be lowered and raised?
Is there some place onboard or a trailer where it would fit in?
Old 20-04-2019, 11:55   #48

Boat: Vancouver 32

Hi, the answer is already here, its a home-made tightening / loosening jig, probably for either or one end of the engine crankshaft.
Its clearly designed to bolt onto a three bolt flange, (similar to your prop-shaft drive coupling) although it does have a full ring of holes on one side, so to use these, it would need striped to bolt it on.
it uses a standard 1/2” drive socket (either AF or metric, looks around 22 or 24mm, easily checked) the 1/2” drive side will not be used, it is connected to the two square shafts by what looks like a pin, to which the two bolts act to apply to force when in use.

It is in “loosening mode” just now (for a standard right hand thread) It has very limited turning ark, and you will have no idea of the torque you are applying, thats fine to loosen but after swapping the two bolts to the other side using it to tighten is a guessing game, best use a torque wrench (although some engines do use degrees of ark as a measure of torque after initially tightening to a lower torque.)

I would keep it although its probably unlikely you will ever use it.
ColinIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 12:33   #49

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

OK. Good you found out & thanks for explaining.
Old 21-04-2019, 17:12   #50

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I think it is a tuning tool for the Turbo Encabulator! It might be used to adjust the dingle arm.

This.video.is.hilarious!
Old 22-04-2019, 19:40   #51

Boat: Endeavour 32
Talking Re: Can anyone identify this tool?

Throw it away and in a few months you will find out what it was for
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 06:47   #52

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

I would have thought your namesake , the all powerful and knowing river god , would know...
After all , that is a country where custom made is synonymous with every day life...
Keep us posted...
Put it on the bar and wager it’s use using drinks as compensation 👍
Old 26-04-2019, 06:52   #53

Boat: Lavranos, Tosca 39
Send a message via Skype™ to Sunfish

My guess is it could be a torque multiplier, used to tighten or undo the keel bolts. The socket fits over the keel bolt, the bolts on the side are extended to suit the cavity in the bilge and counteract the torque applied. In the square now facing up, you fit an extension and the a handle.
Try to turn the square with a big screw driver or something and count the revolutions on the other side.
Sunfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 07:18   #54

What a wonderful puzzle!

It seems that the OP hasn't checked in with any further data. I agree with the DON'T THROW IT OUT school.

Things I noticed.
  1. There is a bar stretching from side to side, aligned with the pin through the socket. I suspect that the square drive is not important; it's just that the maker used an existing socket to get the 12-point driver.
  2. It would be interesting to take the side plate off with the four nuts. Is the bar stretching from side to side capable of great torque (perhaps welded to the socket) or just "meaty" enough to gently turn the socket? (Hinted at with the small pin)
  3. The opposing side bolts rest against this bar, in a position to make a VERY fine angular adjustment. In use, they probably were backed out almost their full length. But why 2, not just one?
  4. The ring of 12 holes is carefully laid out, and has witness marks showing long assembly. Are they threaded? The three holes outside them are not as carefully laid out - they aren't at 120 deg sep, at any rate.
  5. The punched in "top" legend would allow reassembly after the circle of 12 had been attached to the target.
While the OP is looking around (the idea of sizing the socket at a hardware store is clever), the target would also have a circle with 12 fasteners.

What fun!
Old 26-04-2019, 09:11   #55

Boat: 1975 Ta Chaio CT41

it looks like a puller of some type for possibly the harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft of maybe for the timing gear. whatever you do DON'T THROW IT AWAY. No sooner then you do whatever it is for will break and it will be very apparent what the tool is for and you won't have it. It looks like it would be taken apart , bolts installed through the holes in the plate and the crank bolt installed, re-assemble the plated and back out the crank bolt using the socket and this will pull the pulley off the shaft.
curtis742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 09:12   #56

Boat: Birchwood 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
i reckon it is for getting stones out of horses' hooves.
Andrew
My god! you may be right - I never thought of that.
But what kind of horse - Suffolk punch, gelded Arab or sea horse?
Nyaminyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:52   #57

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft

I can tell you what that is. Simple really. It's a prop puller, and this is how it works:

Props are held on a taper with a large (usually castellated) nut, and there will be a key. Over time they can get 'frozen' in place. First, remove the cotter pin from the castellated nut. To remove the prop, you position two metal bars that have holes in their ends (not shown) behind the prop in a 'V' shape and put three threaded rods with nuts on the ends through the three oddly spaced holes, threaded rods between the blades, so that the bars bear on the forward side of the prop, and snug everything up. Two of the bars will overlap at the threaded rod that goes thru the hole at 'apex' of the triangle. The socket fits over the castellated nut, and you turn the two side bolts (with the bolts backed way out) equal amounts until the nut breaks loose.

So then the nut will be loose but the prop will still be frozen in place. You can then remove this contraption, back the nut off a couple of turns, and reassemble the contraption the same way. You then put a 'breaker bar', perhaps with an extension pipe on it, on the socket and TURN THE NUT IN. Yes, IN. You will need to jam a handy chunk of wood between the prop and the rudder shoe (or the boat itself) to prevent it turning. Eventually the prop will break free from its taper, and you're done!

Ryan
Old 28-04-2019, 05:46   #58

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Crabs_A_Lot View Post
I can tell you what that is. Simple really. It's a prop puller, and this is how it works:

Props are held on a taper with a large (usually castellated) nut, and there will be a key. Over time they can get 'frozen' in place. First, remove the cotter pin from the castellated nut. To remove the prop, you position two metal bars that have holes in their ends (not shown) behind the prop in a 'V' shape and put three threaded rods with nuts on the ends through the three oddly spaced holes, threaded rods between the blades, so that the bars bear on the forward side of the prop, and snug everything up. Two of the bars will overlap at the threaded rod that goes thru the hole at 'apex' of the triangle. The socket fits over the castellated nut, and you turn the two side bolts (with the bolts backed way out) equal amounts until the nut breaks loose.

So then the nut will be loose but the prop will still be frozen in place. You can then remove this contraption, back the nut off a couple of turns, and reassemble the contraption the same way. You then put a 'breaker bar', perhaps with an extension pipe on it, on the socket and TURN THE NUT IN. Yes, IN. You will need to jam a handy chunk of wood between the prop and the rudder shoe (or the boat itself) to prevent it turning. Eventually the prop will break free from its taper, and you're done!

Ryan
Given the lack of evidence of distortion, I'd say it's never been used as such...not to mention the dearth of 'missing parts'...

See posts 27, 31, 45, 48.

I'm sure there's some proverb or Twainanism about human nature lurking around this thread somewhere...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 06:11   #59

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

So far, logically, I'm not convinced anyone has it right.

I recalibrated the photos, then enhanced them. Some further detail came out.

There is a threaded pin in the bottom of the 12 point socket, though it looks like it is more on the 4 point socket drive side. Notice the threaded pin aligns with the angle 'dogs'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190404_114550.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	190929

The bolt has a squared end abut to a threaded rod. The threads look to go through a dog, as if it pivoted.

Name:	20190404_114627.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	190930

The square could be for a socket drive, but I'm thinking it drove a square shaft.

Name:	20190404_114732.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	190931

I would think the holes around the 12 point socket would be the mount, but it looks like none of them are threaded. What would that piece with the angled dogs have to do with loosening a castle nut?

I do enjoy a good mystery.....
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 07:32   #60

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

the bolts appear to only turn the socket one direction (counterclockwise)
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote