Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 15:30   #1

Boat: Cal 34
CAL 34 "Hard Bilges"

I have recently purchased a '69 CAL 34 and have been reading as much as I can find out there about the design and systems. I have on a few occasions come across the phrase "Hard Bilges" as in, "With her hard bilges she sails on her bottom even in a blow, and her masthead sailplan efficiently converts wind power into hard driving hull power." I have my suspicions, but can anyone tell me what that means exactly?
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 15:55   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
"hard" vrs "soft" bilges

A hard bilge is sharply rounded where the keel meets the hull, which generally creates more initial stability. A soft bilge, conversely, has a much more gentle curve. Soft-bilged boats are more easily healed at first, so soft bilges are sometimes called "easy" bilges, while hard bilges are sometimes called "firm" bilges.

A hard bilge tends to be a more modern design, thanks to the evolution of fin keels, which invariably involve hard bilges.
Old 09-04-2009, 15:57   #3

Bash is right.

Hard vs. soft bilges refer to the cross section of the boat below the waterline. A hard bilge boat has a flatter bottom and sharper angle approaching the keel. These boats heel less in response to initial input. Soft bilge boats have a more rounded angle between the bottom and keel, and they heel more quickly in response to initial input. Full keel boats tend to have softer bilges than fin keel boats.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 16:00   #4

Boat: Cal 34
Thanks guys, that helps a lot.
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, cal