Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2014, 05:15   #1

Boat: Samson C-Master
Caclulating hull strength WRT chain plates

Hi and thanks for reading.

I want to attach a pair of chain plates to the back of my yacht. They would provide a fastening point for a series/Jordan drogue.

Working out the loads that the drogue makes is done for you by Mr Jordan, calculating shear strength of bolts and the breaking strength of the fastening point in the chain plate are also pretty easy.

The thing I can't seem to find out is how to calculate the strength of the hull where the chain plate is fastened.

The hull will need at least x bolts tightened to torque y distributed in some way. So how is this worked out?

I tried considering the compression strength of the hull material and then guessing an area of each bolt that is in contact and comparing that against the max possible load. But.. how much of a bolt is actually in contact? In a perfect hole then half the circumference would be in contact - but that isn't going to happen in real life!

There is also the challenge of working out the spacing of the bolts.

NB: I have also read that actually the chain plates are bonded to the hull via the friction created by the pressure from the bolts...? Any knowledge on that would great.

Thanks again for reading.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 05:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Caclulating hull strength WRT chain plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanC View Post
Hi and thanks for reading.

I want to attach a pair of chain plates to the back of my yacht. They would provide a fastening point for a series/Jordan drogue.

Working out the loads that the drogue makes is done for you by Mr Jordan, calculating shear strength of bolts and the breaking strength of the fastening point in the chain plate are also pretty easy.

The thing I can't seem to find out is how to calculate the strength of the hull where the chain plate is fastened.

The hull will need at least x bolts tightened to torque y distributed in some way. So how is this worked out?

I tried considering the compression strength of the hull material and then guessing an area of each bolt that is in contact and comparing that against the max possible load. But.. how much of a bolt is actually in contact? In a perfect hole then half the circumference would be in contact - but that isn't going to happen in real life!

There is also the challenge of working out the spacing of the bolts.

NB: I have also read that actually the chain plates are bonded to the hull via the friction created by the pressure from the bolts...? Any knowledge on that would great.

Thanks again for reading.
Make a diagram of what you are thinking.... This should be easy to calculate...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 05:27   #3

Boat: Samson C-Master
Re: Caclulating hull strength WRT chain plates

I have attached a quick pencil sketch of the 'suggested' way of doing this.

But basically it is just an exterior chain plate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf chaniplate.pdf (170.0 KB, 57 views)
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chain plate, hull