Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 02:08   #31

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Cabin layout changes, do they make sense to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
EP, I got some numbers from my goto boook, Fitting out Below Decks, and they stack up well. The 16 inch base is exactly what we have around the dining table and those are perfectly comfortable. I can't imagine sleeping on 16 inches, but you may be right, I suppose if the boat is leaning over you'd be nicely locked in between the lee-cloths and the settee back.

But I had not considered the option of changing the depth of the existing settee mainly because I cannot imagine it ever being used. JPA Cate makes a fair point about sea sickness, but if I am afflicted I don't really have a choice of heading below to try to recover, that would leave the helm unattended.

I look forward to seeing if your photos give me some ideas.

Matt
Changing the settee depth as per my boat is a win/win/win/win.

1/ You can sit comfortably.
2/ You have good/improved stowage behind the settee back.
3/ You have a better 'port berth'.
4/ You have a nice snug sea berth.

And yes.... snug is good in a seaway... I have 2 seaberths in the saloon that are snug... one in the 'walk through' to my stateroom which is not snug. 'En Passage' the inhabitant of that one has to bulk it up with pillows, doonas, duvets, etc etc to get comfortable.

Modular sounds good but you want to be pretty sure that it isn't going to demodulate when you fall sideeways orf a bit of oggin....

Moving right along ... all the offset tables I have seen have been designed by skinny geezers... awful things.... if you are - like me - a trifle portly they are a bugger to get in or out of while maintaining one's dignity
Old 27-09-2017, 03:13   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Yeah, I ain't diminutive., that's for sure.

Point taken about structural integrity.

Still not seeing a solid reason to keep the full length settee on the port side (based on my low probability of sailing other than solo) but I will see how much space I get from moving the back away from the hull. Maybe the storage gained will make it worthwhile.

Hmmmm... actually, I COULD locate the heating system behind the settee back if it was further from the hull....

Tape measure time.

Anyway, clearly nobody is endorsing my single seat idea, I'd be silly to ignore that factor.
Old 28-09-2017, 00:20   #33

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ho, no... on Insatiable the first, with two pilot berths and little proper stowge, they were transformed from PILOT berths to PILE-IT berths.

But I did enjoy sleeping in them before they filled with stuff!

Jim
Ha, good point! Though for me pile-it up is my prefered stowage option, all those fiddly lockers and stuff frustrate me... But often you do need space for big bulky stuff like sails, drogues, deflated dinghy's or oars, and and something like a pilot berth or v berth can be pretty handy for this especially if you don't have big cockpit lockers.

Ideally you can access the space benith from the front as well as the top so you don't need to shift all the stuff to get under it, and it is all secured by ropes and a stout lee cloth.

Also for short weekend trips pilot berths make a great place to throw duffle bags of clothes, and shopping bags of food to save having to unpack everthing into fiddly lockers and then repack back into bags at the end of the weekend.
Old 28-09-2017, 02:55   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha, good point! Though for me pile-it up is my prefered stowage option, all those fiddly lockers and stuff frustrate me... But often you do need space for big bulky stuff like sails, drogues, deflated dinghy's or oars, and and something like a pilot berth or v berth can be pretty handy for this especially if you don't have big cockpit lockers.
Ideally you can access the space benith from the front as well as the top so you don't need to shift all the stuff to get under it, and it is all secured by ropes and a stout lee cloth.

Also for short weekend trips pilot berths make a great place to throw duffle bags of clothes, and shopping bags of food to save having to unpack everthing into fiddly lockers and then repack back into bags at the end of the weekend.
I'd concur with Snowpetrel on most of this, ditto what he says about them for sleeping. They're not quite as good as pipecots, but close.

Another option for using them storage wise is to get 3-4 large, clear plastic bins or tool tubs per berth, & use them as segregated storage, sorted by whatever categories suit you. It gives you modular storage capability. And each one can be fixed in place seperately by a webbing strap with buckle from overhead to bunk top in front of it. Or you can contain them all with a lee cloth or cargo net.

The one nod I make to safety in their regard, is to use a seperate webbing strap which wraps full 360 deg. around each one. So that when you go to pull one out, the lid can't fly off & spew the contents everywhere.

Also, if you look at racing boats, the types & sizes of lightweight, modular & fixed storage found on them is almost endless. And a good bit of it is fairly easy to build to be easily removable. I've thought about starting a thread on said theme a few times.

Judicious use of sunbrella, sail cloth, dodger window fabric, & zippers + velcro give you lots of options, plus the ability to see what's in each compartment. You can even attach them to the overhead, bulkheads, doors, & furniture via aluminum bolt rope track & sail luff bolt rope. That, webbing (including with various buckle types), velcro, or turn button fasteners for canvas.

And not to be mean to the OP, but if you're running low on storage space on a 42' boat as a single guy, you don't have a storage problem, you have a too much stuff problem

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 03:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
¿Qué ?

My V-berth is home to a couple of drogues together with assorted string, 3 storm jibs, spare headsail, 2 dinghies plus oars plus spare oars, BG Anchor, and a bit of other stuff....

Coastal the berth in the 'walk through' is where all the canned goods, pasta and stuff lives....
Old 28-09-2017, 09:01   #36

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
...Lack of the amidships sea berth would be a real turnoff to someone who understands how useful it really is...I wouldn't want to lose that safe,secure place, where the motion is the least...
This. Eliminating this low, centered berth would likely turn off any potential future buyer or crew.

A common way to make a settee berth comfortable for both sleeping and sitting is to have the back cushion hinge up, out of the way, to expose the full depth of the berth cushion. The space above the back cushion can be built-in cabinets or shelves, which do not interfere with the bunk area below.

I would try to find other ways to improve access to storage. And make an effort to have any changes turn out looking like the boat builder started with a good plan and made it that way when the boat was built.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 09:50   #37

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
theyre around and they are very comfortable, but just a tad short for sleeping on

dont ask me how I know this...
[DIGRESSION]Years ago, I was involved in a remote field project that ran 24/7 for a few weeks. One of the subcontractors standard rental car agreement was for a Cadillac. When one of us just couldn't take it any more, we'd go for a nap in the back of the Caddy. Seemed pretty nice at the time. [/DIGRESSION]
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 12:51   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
[DIGRESSION]Years ago, I was involved in a remote field project that ran 24/7 for a few weeks. One of the subcontractors standard rental car agreement was for a Cadillac. When one of us just couldn't take it any more, we'd go for a nap in the back of the Caddy. Seemed pretty nice at the time. [/DIGRESSION]
Its one thing America does particularly well, cars offer that feeling of isolated comfort, safety and protection necessary for passing out for a good solid snooze.

If I was him, and Im not. The only logical way out I would be a comfortable bench seat that could still quickly and easily be converted to a berth.

The only questions are, how comfortable it is as an individual seat, and as a berth where length is bound to be an issue. Things that would make a difference are retractable armrests, footrest, and a lee cloth.

It seems to me the answer is to make the seat a useful length, and modify one half of the seat for a better single seat with a well reclined backrest and a cushion overlay like the caddy offered earlier. An upholsterer would be of help is making some super soft cushions to attach to the top of the seat in like fashion.

Adding a footrest which might be nothing more than a cushioned draw with a shaped tray, or a lever operated flippable cushioned base like most easy chairs have. Would make it a comfortable place to nap, make routine observations and await the return of the partygirl with the drinks tray.
Old 28-09-2017, 13:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post

It seems to me the answer is to make the seat a useful length, and modify one half of the seat for a better single seat with a well reclined backrest and a cushion overlay like the caddy offered earlier. An upholsterer would be of help is making some super soft cushions to attach to the top of the seat in like fashion.
That sounds like a chaise lounge..... quite a handy piece of furniture if a bit of seduction is in the offing... or so I have been told....

http://www.abodesofas.com/wp-content...e-1024x756.jpg
Old 28-09-2017, 21:51   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That sounds like a chaise lounge..... quite a handy piece of furniture if a bit of seduction is in the offing... or so I have been told....

http://www.abodesofas.com/wp-content...e-1024x756.jpg

Note to self: if invited aboard EP's boat... bring a chaperone.
Old 28-09-2017, 23:38   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
And not to be mean to the OP, but if you're running low on storage space on a 42' boat as a single guy, you don't have a storage problem, you have a too much stuff problem
Yes, ha, ha. Good point.

But seriously, a lot of the storage in the boat is optimised for passage making, but is not at all good for someone needing more convenient access to day to day stuff. When I am working and living aboard I don't want to be rummaging behind settees every day.

I am actually looking at the left side of the settee and thinking how perfect it would be to create a module the extends the galley which could then take a microwave oven, so I really think the settee's days are numbered.

I hear what people are saying about their love of these setups for passage making, but I still expect to be on my own on the boat on a passage and therefore up in the deckhouse when under way. (not safe down below) As a concession to the good advice, however, I will make these additions modular, so should I ever want to sell the boat, I am not shooting myself in the foot.

All the good advice HAS been noted.
Old 28-09-2017, 23:41   #42

On a serious note though, the boat still sleeps 6 people without this settee. Surely that's enough for a single sailor.

Unless I somehow fancy myself as the next Hugh Hefner and I need some kind of spare-blonde-storage system.

Wasn't there some complete nutter who started a thread on CF a while back which was all about his plans to entertain copious numbers of young ladies on his boat? What a total twerp.
Old 28-09-2017, 23:49   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
...the boat still sleeps 6 people...
That is virtually meaningless compared to how many actual sea berths it has.
Old 28-09-2017, 23:57   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
That is virtually meaningless compared to how many actual sea berths it has.
Yes and no. Given I am unlikely to sail with crew, I mostly need to consider friends/family coming to stay for a night or two at anchor in in a marina.

And if I sail with a crew, at most it will be one, for which, yes, this will leave me vulnerable on a starboard tack as all that will be on offer for the other crewmember is the deckhouse.

But on the port tack there is still the midships cabin and the starboard settee in addition to the deckhouse.

Then, I guess if they can handle sleeping transverse, which some people can do and I certainly can, there is the stern cabin.

I can see a post on the crew wanted forum....

"Wanted, crew member for journey from Adelaide to Hobart. Must be able to sleep on a transverse bunk or at deck height, unless the wind is blowing from the East."

Could be hard to explain.
Old 29-09-2017, 00:05   #45

If you are just building it as a bachelor's liveaboard then you have no problem.

Tags
cabin