Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 18:37   #1

Boat: C&C 36
Post C&C36 rudder bearings replacement. Osmosis? and more

Dear ... Forum

Before i point my questions, a short introduction to this Forum !
April 2014 i bought a C&C 36, 1980 in Miami. Sailed her through the Bahamas, Haiti (where Canoo boys made some nice deep scratches), Dominican Republic and Curaçao.
Now docked in Curaçao, this year i had a very relaxed and beautiful trip to Bonaire, Los Aves and Los Roques.
In februari 2016 i hope more enjoyable sails to come through Los Roques, then heading st. Martin (Maybe, just maybe from Los Roques, before heading to st. Martin a sail to mainland Venezuela, Pt. Cabello for some wood and canvas work...).

Before this sail to st. Martin i have to do some work.
I will haul out at Curaçao Marine for about a month .

-Strip and paint entire Hull.
-Osmosis (or not?) above the waterline?.
-Replacement rudder bearings, check rudder meganics.
-Replacement front hatch.
-Build in rudder adjuster for raymarine p70 wheel.
-New Canvas Bimini. (eventually later in Venezuale and/or design of a new frame).
-Paint deck and tub(?).
-Maintanance Winches.
-Repair/replace Outboard
-Constructing a 40 ft. Jacob's ladder

I want to strip the anti fouling from the bottom (it has allready fall off at 3 or 4 places, about 1mm thick small plates...) and i want to strip the paint above the waterline too.

What concerns me more is: I have blisters +- 7 to 9 inches above the waterline. These blisters almost totally disappeare when the boat is at dock for a few months, but after a week to 10 days of sailing they start to grow up again. Getting worse a little about every day when sailing (and at a certain level it seems to stop...).
I read about "the underwater section of the hull has 7 layers of fibre and above the waterline just 5 layers". At the transistion of these layers it should happen more often that blisters appear. Under the waterline i have no bubbles or blisters at all.
So I think i can say i don't have to worry about Osmosis (?).
Question?: If i strip the entire hull. Thinking about the 220+ Haitian scratches, would it be recommendable to add a new gell coat before painting?

Besides I have a rudder problem! The bearings of the rudder seem to get bad (It started just a few days after leaving Miami, tightened the upper bolt and been sailing about 75 days since...). Now, when i dive at the very bottom of the rudderblade i can move (tilt) it about half an inch.
The upper bolt (above on the deck behind the helm) is moving and cracking (!) maybe about a quarter inch max during sailing, and cracking quite loud when there is sudden pressure on the rudderblade. I tightend the ground plate from the upperbolt a few times.
The Caribbean Sea can be nasty, so i tend to search for good windows but i think when the going gets tough the rudder could get bad rapidly...?

Bearings for the rudder might be hard to get in Curaçao, ordering from there can take a long time, so i want to bring the bearings from the Netherlands.
I have been reading the internet but some time ago i could only find someone (with superb explainations and foto's) working on a C&C 40 (i think it was), from which the rudder/shaft etc. looks quite similar to my C&C 36.. Though he doesn't give sizes of
the 2(?) ruddershaft bearings?

Question?: Does anyone has or knows where to find C&C 36, year 1980, ruddershaft bearing measurements ? Can i presume that after 35 years the bearings will be still original/same sizes? i.e. does it happen a lot the rudder gets loose?

I am not a real experienced meganic, so on the rudder i definately need help. I spoke to a local meganic and think he does a good job.

Thank you so much for replying on my topic.
Do excuse me for my not very correct english.

Nico
Cruising Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 19:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: C&C36 rudder bearings replacement. Osmosis? and more

Get your bearings here - igus® - iglide® Plastic Bushings I paid less than 10 dollars for 2-1/2 inch bore for my lower skeg bearing.

Try to figure out what the cracking noise is. Make sure the mounting for the bearing is not coming loose. At that age, sots can be wrong. -Perhaps the rudder took a hit with the previous owner and loosened the bearing socket.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nico.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 14:22   #4

ho Gord May,

Thank you, hope to be here a lot ;-)

and Nicholson thank you for your reply

appreciated !
Old 04-12-2015, 18:02   #5

Boat: Hylas 49

There are no bearings. It is in a tube. There is only a top plate with 4 or 8 bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:46   #6

[QUOTE=TheOffice;1978820]There are no bearings. It is in a tube. There is only a top plate with 4 or 8 bolts.

Dear TheOffice,

Thank you very much for this information.
Sounds like you know what you're talking about and it's entirely different from what i was thinking..
May I ask, do you mean there's a plate on top of the tube? (How about the outlet?) Or do you mean the plate directly under the 'deck' (behind the wheel, the 'groundplate' what i spoke about...) is what holds the rudder? That's not very much.
About the tube, why is the rudder moving? Could it be the tube itself is loose?

Most appreciated,

Nico.

ps. the 'groundplate' i tightened about 4 times. Tightened 4 bolds, hard to get there.
Old 06-12-2015, 17:39   #7

Boat: Hylas 49

The top of the rudder post has a large round chrome nut with a set screw. If you take that off the rudder will drop so don't take it off. Under that is a Delrin ring that reduces friction. Under that is a ring with 4 bolts. They need to be tight. If you have access ports you can reach the nuts with a wrench. Otherwise you need a skinny friend to crawl back there wile you tighten the bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, osmosis, rudder