Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 19:23   #76

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Buying Chinese Goods on eBay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
Lake-Effect
Nice sentiment but if you understand what China is doing to Australia trade relations you may change your sentiments.
They are trying to using trade to force us to bend to their will break trade agreements etc. They are manipulating the world stage.
It is not all so cozy!
+ Absolutely!

Apparently these days I am like a lot of other Australians in deliberately avoiding Chinese (and overseas) products where I can. The supermarket chains are reporting Australians are demanding products made in Australia and are prepared to pay more.

But it is also about quality of foodstuffs: I won't eat fish or vegetable produce from Asia because they have different "standards".

As far as manufactured goods are concerned there is a global exodus of manufacturers from China

https://www.forbes.com/sites/princeg...h=6b7a849c2f2c
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 20:03   #77

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
+ Absolutely!

Apparently these days I am like a lot of other Australians in deliberately avoiding Chinese (and overseas) products where I can. The supermarket chains are reporting Australians are demanding products made in Australia and are prepared to pay more.

But it is also about quality of foodstuffs: I won't eat fish or vegetable produce from Asia because they have different "standards".

As far as manufactured goods are concerned there is a global exodus of manufacturers from China

https://www.forbes.com/sites/princeg...h=6b7a849c2f2c

Hopefully that trickles down to the Aussie Army, otherwise they'll be going to war naked (NTTAWWT)

Defence Minister defends decision to make new Army uniforms in China

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 20:34   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
Lake-Effect
Nice sentiment but if you understand what China is doing to Australia trade relations you may change your sentiments.
They are trying to using trade to force us to bend to their will break trade agreements etc. They are manipulating the world stage.
It is not all so cozy!

Tell you what - stop selling them coal. That'll smarten them up!

(Joking of course, but trade is messy sometimes, innit?)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 21:50   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Tell you what - stop selling them coal. That'll smarten them up!

(Joking of course, but trade is messy sometimes, innit?)
China has targeted Australian barley, beef, wine, lobsters, timber, cotton, copper, sugar and coal over the past year after Canberra called for an inquiry into the origins of the coronavirus pandemic.

Old 11-05-2021, 22:25   #80

Quote:
China has targeted Australian barley, beef, wine, lobsters, timber, cotton, copper, sugar and coal over the past year after Canberra called for an inquiry into the origins of the coronavirus pandemic.

As the example above demonstrates, when our leaders persist in performing fellatio on Uncle Sam at every opportunity, sooner or later, that's what happens!
Old 11-05-2021, 23:02   #81

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
As the example above demonstrates, when our leaders persist in performing fellatio on Uncle Sam at every opportunity, sooner or later, that's what happens!
Ahh I get it now, our leaders should spread their fellatio skills further afield.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 23:12   #82

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Thank you, my thoughts exactly
The west are a bunch of hypocritical crybabies

Sure...you say that to justify saving "cents on the dollar" while they manipulate other countries and appalling human rights in their own country. Who's hypocritical?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 23:13   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Well I think it demonstrates what a lousy trading partner China is and that you can never trust them. (We might as well face up to it)
Old 11-05-2021, 23:16   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
one of the things i like about CF is that it's a cruising forum - not a political rant forum

however i will add fuel to this particular fire by commenting that no-one complained when usofa for years did exactly what china is doing
As this is a cruising forum, you might add something that affects us cruisers to your rant. Challenge yourself, how these matters affect you and your vessel.

For me, I have a rather split view on China. I think it's high time they get one on your head, I don't like their radical culture of crap for profit, but I still order many things from them. I'm just your average bigot without much principles once they affect my pocketbook.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 00:01   #85

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Sure...you say that to justify saving "cents on the dollar" while they manipulate other countries and appalling human rights in their own country. Who's hypocritical?
You are
The western world has manipulated other countries and been guilty of appalling human rights in their own country for centuries.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:00   #86

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

You do realise that there is a Covid pandemic on at the moment?

You will then realise that there are very few passenger planes coming into Australia at the moment. The vast majority of normal air mail (like your items) travel via passenger planes. Hence, there is a huge delay in all normal air mail in and out of Australia. Even going out is a problem (most air mail comes into Australia, not out). I sent an item to Germany from Sydney and it took over 3 weeks. Normally it would be there in under a week.

Inside Australia is also a problem as Australia Post cannot keep up with package deliveries due to the huge increase in the past 15 months.

Courier stuff is better as DHL, Fedex etc are flying their own planes as normal plus additional ones. I just got a package from Japan in under 9 days via DHL.

So, none of the delay in getting these items is probably the fault of the supplier or even China Post, just a fact of life in these Covid times.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:18   #87

clownfishsydney You are correct to a point but why does it take weeks to get a parcel from the seller to the point of export? Most of the delay is inside China.

Anyhow I'm happy today as I got my two little terminal blocks for $8.00. (But still waiting on a couple of items that were ordered 21/3 and 30/3)

All the motors are fused at the chart table/instrument panel however these terminal blocks will make it easy to add an extra light or tiny fan for the compost toilet or whatever....?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-05-12 My eBay - Purchase history.png
Views:	28
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	238240  
Old 12-05-2021, 04:24   #88

Quote:
Loudly calling (or supporting a call) for an inquiry into origins, while the pandemic rages, was a d1ck move, by every country that did it. Needlessly inflammatory, political and purely for optics, and it would not have changed anything, nor altered the intensity of investigations that are no doubt going on, even though this isn't being splashed on the front page of tabloids at the supermarket checkout.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:55   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Loudly calling (or supporting a call) for an inquiry into origins, while the pandemic rages, was a d1ck move, by every country that did it. Needlessly inflammatory, political and purely for optics, and it would not have changed anything, nor altered the intensity of investigations that are no doubt going on, even though this isn't being splashed on the front page of tabloids at the supermarket checkout.

There was a lot of talk about it being a leak from research facilities in Wuhan.
I think everyone has a right to know where the virus originated. Was it bats (as suggested) or some exotic animal sold in the Wuhan wet markets?
Old 12-05-2021, 05:10   #90

Quote:
There was a lot of talk about it being a leak from research facilities in Wuhan.
I think everyone has a right to know where the virus originated. Was it bats (as suggested) or some exotic animal sold in the Wuhan wet markets?
There is/will be a time for that. You can bet your boots that there is already a serious investigation going on. Nothing was served by a public "call" except to mollify partisans and China-haterz.

Also let's not forget that regardless of how or where the virus originated, every country is responsible for how it handled (or failed to handle) the virus once it was on their doorsteps. Clamouring about origins is little more than an attempt by some countries to shift attention away from their own failings.

Tags
buying