Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2019, 10:56   #61

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Butt Splicing from Battery to Engine??

My math skills fail me, but conductivity (measured in MHOs) is the reciprocal of resistance (measured in OHMs). So solder is about 1/10 as conductive as copper.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 11:27   #62

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

You're too old school, the POLITICALLY CORRECT term is Siemens. MHOs, like CYCLES per SECOND, made to much sense.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 11:53   #63

Boat: Norseman 447

I learned about mhos when I was studying for my first commercial ticket in 1958. I don’t think I’ve used them since. They’ve changed everything else, why not that too.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 11:57   #64

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 36

If you are adding a crimped connector to a stranded wire it isn't a good idea to add solder because the stranded wire becomes stiffer. This could lead to breakage as pointed out by another poster about a butt splice in a high vibration region near the engine. What ever you do, don't use solid wire for the same reason!
W2GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 11:59   #65

Boat: O'Day 40

Can someone explain how a properly crimped butt connection is any more likely to fail than a properly crimped terminal lug.
Old 21-06-2019, 20:04   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Can someone explain how a properly crimped butt connection is any more likely to fail than a properly crimped terminal lug.
It is not more likely to fail - with the emphasis on "properly crimped".
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 20:09   #67
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
The point is having any more joins than necessary is Bad.

But for the umpteenth time, if the join is done Right, and there's little weight/stress relief at the join, just check it periodically and you should be OK.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 20:50   #68

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re the lower conductivity of solder vs copper: Yes, solder is less conductive, but we're talking about a layer a few thousandths of an inch thick. The added resistance, voltage drop and heating are infinitesimal in extent and not worth worrying about, even with high currents as in a starter supply.

And everyone is always wanting tinned wire... and tin isn't much better than lead for conductivity... and how about the tin or solder coating on the lugs themselves?

Try to keep these things in perspective!

Jim
Old 21-06-2019, 23:45   #69
cruiser

With DC electricity, the current runs through the whole cross section of the wire equally. Any resistance from tinning is only when that is perpendicular to, the flow goes "through" it, and in those cases negligible.

The "skin effect" is AC only, flowing more at the surface especially at higher frequencies.

With a proper crimp - gas tight cold welded, there is no place for solder to get in the join anyway, adding solder **does nothing helpful**, only potentially harmful.
Old 22-06-2019, 00:29   #70

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
With DC electricity, the current runs through the whole cross section of the wire equally. Any resistance from tinning is only when that is perpendicular to, the flow goes "through" it, and in those cases negligible.

The "skin effect" is AC only, flowing more at the surface especially at higher frequencies.

With a proper crimp - gas tight cold welded, there is no place for solder to get in the join anyway, adding solder **does nothing helpful**, only potentially harmful.
All the techno babble aside your last paragraph is something we can agree on. Proper crimps are considered the best by people much smarter than me.

Although I have recently been accused of this being advocating perfection and not practical in the real world.

I do agree with that, although we should try for perfection in the real world we might not make it. Sometimes we gotta do what we can to get the job done.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 08:05   #71
cruiser

Absolutely, plenty of real-life owners just want what they consider good enough.

Or even just the bare minimum required to keep going, and if problems arise deal with it then.

That approach may be all that's possible sometimes, and temporary MacGyver fixes can have their own beauty, even elegance

Tags
battery, engine