Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 06:20   #16
Registered User
 
Scaramanga F25's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 971
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

In my fiberglass boat and panel manufacturing shop in largo Florida I used tar paper to cover the floor around the molds. heavy enough to stay put and protects the floor really well. Also it is inexpensive.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 16:17   #17
Registered User
 
Rigdaddy's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campeche, Mexico
Boat: Hans Christian 41 T
Posts: 147
Re: 2017-10-02 Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i meant to also mention that good lights are also important,i have found that LED work lights are very useful,as they give a very powerful light,do not break if moved around and do not create heat or fire hazard,also low wattage so cheap to run than normal filament bulbs.

i found the best source for polythene plastic sheeting are agricultural suppliers/farm shops,as the sheeting is used for greenhouses etc,comes in up to 12m wide x 25-50m rolls,and not expensive.

a good quality "track" circular saw,is indispensible if you do not have a full sized table saw,for cutting up plywood.

a router with a "bearing" moulding bit is useful for making exact copies from templates .

a router with a flexible guide for cutting out curves from plans is easier to use than a jigsaw,and gives a more even cut.

rolls of fiberglass cloth exposed to cold,damp conditions very quickly absorb moisture and become unusable,i have found that" in use on a roller" 25kg rolls kept in a cupboard with a 20-40w incandesent bulb lit 24/7 keeps them dry .

keep all recipts for power tools,so you can take them back and replace under guarentee when they break down after 3 months if bought from superstores!

always wear a dust mask when cutting or grinding any material if you want to live a long life.............
All good advice.
I have found that a band saw, even a cheap box store brand, is far superior to any jig saw for cutting true to a pattern. Also superior for cutting multiple identical parts at one time.
If you can afford it, or even if you can't, get a table saw.
Good luck with your project, a well made boat is it's own reward.
__________________
Timing is everything
Rigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:15   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ontario Canada
Boat: Corbin 39
Posts: 67
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Just wishing you the best and linking to your thread

Thanks for sharing
dmalcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:27   #19
Registered User
 
Building Wharrams's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Boat: Building Wharrams
Posts: 91
Re: 2017-10-02 Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Don't buy boat stuff before you are ready to install.... Pumps, electronics, even electrical switches. I can't believe the amount of stuff I've purchased, sat aside in boxes until I needed them, and found to be defective once installed. Of course, this was after the warranty was out of date


Matt
Hello Matt, thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind. I have indeed already been tempted to buy something that is not needed for many years.
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:34   #20
Registered User
 
Building Wharrams's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Boat: Building Wharrams
Posts: 91
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

New video 2017-10-07 Building SV Satoshi:
https://youtu.be/Z2dMnRR4Mfo

In this video you can see that I started with cleaning up and reorganising of the workspace. Change the position of the lights, setup of the table, taped some cables on the floor so I don't trip over it and some other things. I put 2 of the drawings on the wall so I don't have to bend over to look at the floor for measurements. Then I spend most of the day getting used to the power tools that I have (a sander, a jigsaw, planer and drill). I am a novice builder, and actually novice DIY, so I have to learn a lot. Made some 19mm x 32mm battens from the rough oregon pine.

Music : She Dreams in Blue by Josh Woodward - http://joshwoodward.com
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:41   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,594
Images: 75
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv satoshi View Post
New video 2017-10-07 Building SV Satoshi:
https://youtu.be/Z2dMnRR4Mfo

In this video you can see that I started with cleaning up and reorganising of the workspace. Change the position of the lights, setup of the table, taped some cables on the floor so I don't trip over it and some other things. I put 2 of the drawings on the wall so I don't have to bend over to look at the floor for measurements. Then I spend most of the day getting used to the power tools that I have (a sander, a jigsaw, planer and drill). I am a novice builder, and actually novice DIY, so I have to learn a lot. Made some 19mm x 32mm battens from the rough oregon pine.

Music : She Dreams in Blue by Josh Woodward - http://joshwoodward.com
i extracted the video for you!

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:43   #22
Registered User
 
Suijin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumping around the Caribbean
Boat: Valiant 40
Posts: 4,625
Re: 2017-10-02 Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Don't buy boat stuff before you are ready to install.... Pumps, electronics, even electrical switches. I can't believe the amount of stuff I've purchased, sat aside in boxes until I needed them, and found to be defective once installed. Of course, this was after the warranty was out of date
I agree completely. Don't buy it until you need it, even if you can get a good deal on it, even if it's on sale, etc.

As an extreme example, there is a couple at the yard where I am who have been outfitting a boat for the last 10 years to sail around the world. The boat is loaded with gear...solar panels, wind generator, electronics, etc. that are all 10 years old and the boat has never left the dock. I think they've already been through a full set of batteries...

And plans change. I've bought things in anticipation of needing them only to find out later that I did not because I ended up going a different route or ran into some incompatibility. Money wasted.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 17:43   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Florida.... soon on a boat
Boat: looking build or buy a boat to escape from the rat race..
Posts: 41
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Salut Marcel:

I found out about you from Stew at Luckyfish on youtube. I am saving up the funds to buy the plans and build a tiki 38 also. I wanted to thank you for your website. I saw that you are from Belgium. Do you have plans to put pages up de francais of het Vlaams?

Once again many thanks!!

Fernao
Fernao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:39   #24
Registered User
 
Building Wharrams's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Boat: Building Wharrams
Posts: 91
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38


In this video I took the drawings off the wall, because the hardboard warped, but also for the reason that I want to be able to take the drawings with me to any place. Stewart from LuckyFish channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkH...cqUOkQZqkelyPg ) sent me beautiful photos of his Tiki 38 and I am going to put these photos on the walls of my workspace. He has sent them to me to keep me inspired. That was very nice and thoughtful of him. After that I used the long batten that I made the day before to draw the curved lines on the lofting floor. You can see I compared the curved lines to the straight lines that I already drew between the station points on the lofting floor. I think now I can cut the parts out of the hardboard, cut a bit outside the lines and I guess sand it to the lines. I wanted to cut the parts out of the hardboard, but I decided to think another day about it. So then I started cutting 19mm x 45mm oregon pine again. I am happy to have received much advice and suggestions. Most of the advice I am going to try to implement in the next weeks. One advice is of Sailing Unsanity is that though it is possible to build the Wharram Tiki 38 with the power tools that I already have, it is much more precise and efficient to use bigger tools (table saw, band saw, compound miter saw, table planer, upright belt/disk sander). I am looking into that right now. In another post on the Wharram Builders and Friends forum Axel mentioned a book named: The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction (free PDF download at: http://www.westsystem.com/the-gougeo...-construction/ ). I have downloaded this book and am going to read it. Another book that I recently bought and am reading is: Boatbuilding Manual by Robert M. Steward, Carl Cramer. I am also going to look into buying a bandsaw, which is according to a very nice comment by Roderick Anderson is his most indispensable tool in his workshop. Temperature in the workspace is at the moment around 10 degrees Celsius. The package of the West System epoxy says store above 10 degrees, so I have to make special insulated case with lightbulb for this or I am just going to keep my separate 6 square meters epoxy room above 10 degrees.

Music : East Side Bar by Josh Woodward - http://joshwoodward.com
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:50   #25
Registered User
 
Building Wharrams's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Boat: Building Wharrams
Posts: 91
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernao View Post
Salut Marcel:

I found out about you from Stew at Luckyfish on youtube. I am saving up the funds to buy the plans and build a tiki 38 also. I wanted to thank you for your website. I saw that you are from Belgium. Do you have plans to put pages up de francais of het Vlaams?

Once again many thanks!!

Fernao
Hello Fernao,
You are welcome. Thank you for your comment. Good luck in saving up the funds to buy the Tiki 38 building plan. Did you already buy the Tiki 38 study plan? I can recommend to buy that one now already in case you did not yet. The study plan also contains the large overview drawing, which is not included with the building plan. Yes, I am building in Belgium, Vlaams/Nederlands is my first language, but I am not putting pages in other language than english, because I would like to share information on building a Tiki 38 to the widest audience as possible.
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:45   #26
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,594
Images: 75
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv satoshi View Post

In this video I took the drawings off the wall, because the hardboard warped, but also for the reason that I want to be able to take the drawings with me to any place. Stewart from LuckyFish channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkH...cqUOkQZqkelyPg ) sent me beautiful photos of his Tiki 38 and I am going to put these photos on the walls of my workspace. He has sent them to me to keep me inspired. That was very nice and thoughtful of him. After that I used the long batten that I made the day before to draw the curved lines on the lofting floor. You can see I compared the curved lines to the straight lines that I already drew between the station points on the lofting floor. I think now I can cut the parts out of the hardboard, cut a bit outside the lines and I guess sand it to the lines. I wanted to cut the parts out of the hardboard, but I decided to think another day about it. So then I started cutting 19mm x 45mm oregon pine again. I am happy to have received much advice and suggestions. Most of the advice I am going to try to implement in the next weeks. One advice is of Sailing Unsanity is that though it is possible to build the Wharram Tiki 38 with the power tools that I already have, it is much more precise and efficient to use bigger tools (table saw, band saw, compound miter saw, table planer, upright belt/disk sander). I am looking into that right now. In another post on the Wharram Builders and Friends forum Axel mentioned a book named: The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction (free PDF download at: http://www.westsystem.com/the-gougeo...-construction/ ). I have downloaded this book and am going to read it. Another book that I recently bought and am reading is: Boatbuilding Manual by Robert M. Steward, Carl Cramer. I am also going to look into buying a bandsaw, which is according to a very nice comment by Roderick Anderson is his most indispensable tool in his workshop. Temperature in the workspace is at the moment around 10 degrees Celsius. The package of the West System epoxy says store above 10 degrees, so I have to make special insulated case with lightbulb for this or I am just going to keep my separate 6 square meters epoxy room above 10 degrees.

Music : East Side Bar by Josh Woodward - http://joshwoodward.com
see sail life video @4.20 where he use's a router and a flexible guide.this would be the easiest way to cut your plywood accuratly using a straight cutting bit with the depth set just slightly more than the thickness of the plywood

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:23   #27
Registered User
 
Building Wharrams's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Boat: Building Wharrams
Posts: 91
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
see sail life video @4.20 where he use's a router and a flexible guide.this would be the easiest way to cut your plywood accuratly using a straight cutting bit with the depth set just slightly more than the thickness of the plywood

Hello Alex,
Thank you for the link to this video and the channel. I did not visit the channel of Sail Life before and I immediately subscribed and watched several videos which I think are very well made.
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 02:24   #28
Registered User
 
Building Wharrams's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Boat: Building Wharrams
Posts: 91
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38


This video starts with a picture of me and my friend Nick, who visited my workspace. After that we went to Noordwijk to take his fireball and laser off the beach in preparation for winter. The next day I proceeded with planing one long straight 4 meter batten. After that I cut out a pattern from the first piece of hardboard that is on the lofting floor. After sawing and sanding it straight I discovered that despite many checks and measurements I somehow did not see a wrong measurement, so the pattern was not right and you can see that in the video. So... I took a new piece of hardboard, drew the lines again, cut it out again and now it is right. My son supported me during this process. I have put the picture of Luckyfish that Stewart and Zaya have sent to me ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkH...cqUOkQZqkelyPg ) in a frame and put it in the workspace for motivation and inspiration.

Music : Aimless by Josh Woodward - http://joshwoodward.com
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 03:38   #29
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,594
Images: 75
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv satoshi View Post
Hello Alex,
Thank you for the link to this video and the channel. I did not visit the channel of Sail Life before and I immediately subscribed and watched several videos which I think are very well made.
yes Madds is quite entertaining in an OCD sort of a way!

i hope you took onboard the technique of using a router and a guide to cut plywood.
the ply wood once cut can then have an angle put on the edge of the ply using a triangular or tapered bit .

you can also use a straight bit with a bearing on the end to make exact copies of the sheet that has been cut with the guide.



atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 02:02   #30
Registered User
 
Building Wharrams's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Boat: Building Wharrams
Posts: 91
Re: Building SV Satoshi - Wharram Tiki 38


In this video I cut another backbone pattern out of hardboard. This was a short 1 hour work session after dinner. I am going to buy other safety glasses which totally cover my eyes, because with my current ones small dust constantly goes into my eyes.

Music : Words Fall Apart by Josh Woodward - http://joshwoodward.com
Building Wharrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wharram

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on Improving Wharram Tiki 38 bodhi02 Multihull Sailboats 55 21-06-2016 01:45
Drawbacks of Wharram Tiki or Pahi for Extended South Pacific Cruising Arikauai Multihull Sailboats 49 19-04-2012 15:32
Want to Purchase Wharram Pahi 42 to 52 or Tiki of Similar Size vuilbaard Dollars & Cents 4 20-09-2011 19:23
Wharram Tiki 30 Gettin It boatsmith Multihull Sailboats 0 18-04-2011 13:50
For Sale: Wharram TIKI 46 Sailing Catamaran obertrauser Classifieds Archive 5 28-12-2010 06:46

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.