Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 17:49   #1

Building a Custom Davit/Radar Arch for my B393

So my father in law who does custom stainless, aluminum and titanium metal fabrication has offered to help me build a custom stainless steel arch for my boat. I'm hoping to get some input from you good folks here on what types of cool things I should incorporate into my design. To start there a couple of big things we have to have...

First off, I plan to remove the Beneteau factory push pit as well as the lifeline gates so I can have stainless tubing encompassing the entire cockpit. The cockpit is big and when things get rolly and slippery I'd like to have the extra security. When I do this I'll simply make a narrower gate just forward of the cockpit and keep all the forward factory stanchions as they are.

Second, I absolutely want to build the bimini into the design of the arch. I plan to incorporate solar panels and LED lighting into the bimini as well. The bimini design will need to be able to let us fully enclose the cockpit and allow us to sail in that configuration as well.

3rd is modularity. I am an avid overland Jeep guy and like the idea of having removable stainless racks that can hold jerry cans on the back of the boat. I'd also like to build a sealed, insulated yet well vented removable stainless box that can house my Eu2000i Honda generator as well. I'd like to have the ability to keep these slung somewhat lower on the new pushpit to keep a lower COG.

4th I'd love some seats built into it. Something comfortable and secure.

Certainly we will include a spot on the actual arch for the gimballed radome, 2 wind generators (although I only really plan on having one at the moment), flag pole, rod holders, boat hook holders (2), GPS and wifi antenna's, and of course the dinghy davits with self tailing winches.

Aside from several loops built into the design for hanging sheets and extra lines I can't think of anything else at the moment. My goal is to not get too carried away with the extras as I mentioned earlier I don't want to make things too top heavy or overload the stern.

Thanks for any and all input good bad or ugly. I'm not thin skinned and nobody's gonna hurt my feelings! I know there is a lot of knowledge on this board and appreciate the input!
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 18:14   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Building a Custom Davit/Radar Arch for my B393

Cup holders.

Essential.
Old 11-06-2019, 19:44   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I know nothing about Davit/Radar Arch but I'd worry about any un-necessary weight above deck: have you considered aluminum? If your F-I-L can weld SS no doubt he can handle ali?

Radar Arch - Aluminum vs SST? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

www.cruisersforum.com › ... › Construction,
Maintenance & Refit
May 7, 2012 - 15 posts - ‎4 authors
The quote for SS is high, so the aluminium may be good quality. ... Yes virtually all aluminium boats have davits/ radar arch constructed from ...Design ideas for davits/solar arch15 post 11 Dec 2018
Cost of Solar Panel Arch15 posts 6 Dec 2014
Solar Panels: Arch vs Bimini 15 posts 20 Mar 2011
Radar Arch / Tower - Construction Material . . . 15 post 7 Jul 2010
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 20:00   #4

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Seats? I thought that's what the cockpit was for.
Plan out your electrical. Have lighting incorporated.
Sound speakers? Hailer.
Two wind generators? Go for one, include provisions for lots of solar.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Cup holders.

Essential.
Good one! Thanks!
Old 12-06-2019, 11:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I know nothing about Davit/Radar Arch but I'd worry about any un-necessary weight above deck: have you considered aluminum? If your F-I-L can weld SS no doubt he can handle ali?

Radar Arch - Aluminum vs SST? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

www.cruisersforum.com › ... › Construction,
Maintenance & Refit
May 7, 2012 - 15 posts - ‎4 authors
The quote for SS is high, so the aluminium may be good quality. ... Yes virtually all aluminium boats have davits/ radar arch constructed from ...Design ideas for davits/solar arch15 post 11 Dec 2018
Cost of Solar Panel Arch15 posts 6 Dec 2014
Solar Panels: Arch vs Bimini 15 posts 20 Mar 2011
Radar Arch / Tower - Construction Material . . . 15 post 7 Jul 2010
Thanks for the links. I am dead set on 316 stainless for the arch. Looks much better than aluminum and like it came that way from the factory rather than an add on. My Stabicraft is aluminum and when it oxidizes it looks pretty bad.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Seats? I thought that's what the cockpit was for.
Plan out your electrical. Have lighting incorporated.
Sound speakers? Hailer.
Two wind generators? Go for one, include provisions for lots of solar.
Already mentioned the LED lights and have speakers in the cockpit already but yes that would be a great spot for the hailer! Thanks!

I'll likely only have a single wind generator but there will be a place to easily add a second should we think we will need it (doubt we will as we'll have an extensive solar panel setup). We sail year round and there is much more wind than sunlight during our winters, especially since we will be wintering in Alaska in the next couple of years. Just nice to easily add that option should we thing we need it.

Oh yeah, seats. Yes! I really like push pulpit seats. Especially those contoured to hold you in place. You get a great view and its much less work to stay in one spot when things start to get rolly.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:11   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Did you forget to mention outboard motors, mounts for two and a strong crane and tackle to lift at least 15hp, or 130 lbs. I would design it for 200 lbs. Another self tailer perhaps?
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:19   #9

Boat: been sitting it out

you mention something about storing jerry cans off the back of the boat.

perhaps you could also think in terms of a MOB situation?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Did you forget to mention outboard motors, mounts for two and a strong crane and tackle to lift at least 15hp, or 130 lbs. I would design it for 200 lbs. Another self tailer perhaps?
Yes I did forget. I have a Garhauer motor davit that I was going to include in the design for the outboard. I like the idea of space for 2 outboards!
Old 12-06-2019, 12:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
you mention something about storing jerry cans off the back of the boat.

perhaps you could also think in terms of a MOB situation?
I am glad you mentioned the MOB retrieval part. I had not considered it before. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2019, 13:34   #12

Boat: Beneteau 473, 47ft

Hi,
Great threat. What Beneteau do you have? We have the B473 and are thinking about doing the same thing, with almost the same requirements (remove the stock pulpit and make it solid up to the gates, make the bimini part of the rails so there are fewer holes through the deck, and incorporate the seats). What diameter are you thinking for the tubing? We probably will go with the same stock diameter for the rails but thicker for the bimini to make it a tad sturdier but also for wiring the solar panels and wind.

Good luck and please post pictures!

I.
S/V Balu
Ivanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 15:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

all good suggestions so far- if i had mine to do over again, i would be sure to incorporate electrical connections prewired in with SPARES along with vhf cable, gps cable etc already snaked through and to a stainless weatherproof box of some type that i could keep unobtrusive. my outboards mount on the stainless life rails which are then tied to the stainless arch for stability. I agree with the more solar less wind option. Rod holders that can be reached easily would be important. you may want to mount your stern light on the arch for visibility- my original was very low to the water and practically invisible. grill mount and place for gas cylinder may be important to you depending on what type of cruising you do.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 17:20   #14

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

MODERN SAILBOAT DESIGN: Ballast Stability

https://wavetrain.net/2013/04/09/mod...ast-stability/

Cruisers often store too much gear on deck, which raises a boat’s center of gravity and can make it considerably less stable

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 11:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanvet View Post
Hi,
Great threat. What Beneteau do you have? We have the B473 and are thinking about doing the same thing, with almost the same requirements (remove the stock pulpit and make it solid up to the gates, make the bimini part of the rails so there are fewer holes through the deck, and incorporate the seats). What diameter are you thinking for the tubing? We probably will go with the same stock diameter for the rails but thicker for the bimini to make it a tad sturdier but also for wiring the solar panels and wind.

Good luck and please post pictures!

I.
S/V Balu
I'd like to use 2" round tubing for the arch (not sure of thickness yet). The pulpit will be 1" round tube. I am going to pay a visit to my father in law and see what he's got in stock. Good thing is I can order just about anything at his cost which should be substantially lower than if I were to order it myself. Thank you for the great input!

Tags
arc, radar, radar arch