Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2008, 06:20   #1

Boat: Mercer 44 sloop 44'
Brushes for American Bosch Motor in Crosby Refrigerator

The brushes wore out in the motor of my old Crosby open-frame refrigerator's condensing unit and I have not been able to locate replacements. Any help would be appreciated.

The brushes are not the usual rectangular ones that press radially against a cylindrical commutator. Rather they are trapezoidal in cross section and press axially (from the rear) against a spoke-like commutator.

The brushes I seek are for an American Bosch 1/4HP (maybe 1/3HP) motor marked: 10778-24-MO48HM 12V. The brush cross section is trapezoidal with dimensions 4.7mm (at narrow end of trapezoid), 7mm (at wide end), 12.9mm (between narrow and wide ends) and about 12 mm height with wires moulded in.

Any idea where I could find these? Thanks, Floyd 2sailors(at)verizon.net
2sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 19:50   #2

Bosch Brushes

I just pulled mine out of the refrgeration platform and found the brushes sticking also. I am in Boston and have just started the search tonight. Did you have any luck?
Don Davis
s/v Prata
Irwin 46
parothdtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 20:15   #3

Boat: Mercer 44 sloop 44'
Hi Don,
Try EMS Electric Motor Service. Look at their part number 60-1078, Brush Set Salt S (2). You need 2 of these as each package contains two brushes. Please note that there are no brush springs in this package, so keep your old ones. I have not been able to find any to replace my springs, one of which is broken. Since I had two motors, I am OK but would still like to locate the brush springs. I used the 60-1078 in my American Bosch refrigerator motor and they are the right size. Let us all know if you find the springs anywhere.

Thanks, Floyd, s/v Spirit, 1962 Mercer 44
2sailors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brushes, refrigerator