Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2020, 08:03   #1

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Bronze winch stand

I'm trying to source replacement bronze winch stands for my 1965 Rhodes Reliant (see picture). Both bases on the port side were badly bent, cracked or sheared and whilst I am also trying to determine whether they are salvageable I wonder if anyone out there has any advice for sourcing replacements?

Spartan and other companies which have stock stands of a similar nature are not the right size or style and although I could try and get some cast custom, this is sadly far beyond my budget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch stand.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	226022  
BlueReliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:38   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Bronze winch stand

A bent one can be heated up and brought back to nearly original shape. A cracked one could possibly get 'welded' by a pro metal shop.

For new ones, try browsing TOPLICHT online catalog. You can send them an email too. They respond.

https://www.toplicht.de/

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 10:48   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

I did some toplicht search for you.

Is this something similar:

https://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/wind...bronze-spartan

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 11:40   #4

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

You might check out Port Townsend Foundry. They have a huge number of old patterns from defunct manufacturers. Pattern-making is one of the more expensive parts of custom castings.

Also, check out some of the used marine hardware locations, they frequently have old parts like that. I don't know where you are located. I'm only familiar with Blue Pelican in Alameda, CA. I expect that other members could give recommendations depending on where you are.
tenchiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 08:00   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Bronze has an interesting property that might help you. If you tap it, not pound on it, repeatedly and with patience, it gradually changes shape. I learned that from seeing firefighters reshape threaded hose connections that had been run over by fire engines by sitting and tapping them until they were round again. A small ball peen hammer and some patience was all that was needed. They made egged fittings round to the point of no binding in the threads.

If you've got one with a simple bend in it, give it a try - you might be able to salvage it.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:56   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Unfortunately those spartan stands aren’t quite what I’m after.
I will certainly try Port Townsend foundry and see if they have produced anything similar. Otherwise, failing that, there is still the hope they can be worked and welded back into life!

I’m also still holding out hope that there might be another Rhodes Reliant or Cheoy Lee offshore 40 owner out there who has similarly replaced their own or who is no longer in need of them! Wishful perhaps...
BlueReliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:01   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Brazed, not welded. It's like soldering, only with a brass or bronze rod, flux, and a torch. It's not difficult to learn, and a good welder usually can braze as well.

Tags
bronze, winch