Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2022, 10:02   #1

BROKEN RUDDER! Looking for a replacement - Beneteau first 24 (1983)

Hi guys,

Saturday the rudder of my Beneteau first 24 broke in to two pieces (during sailing). So now i'm looking for a new rudder or at least drawings from the original rudder. Who could help me out?

At the Dutch sailing forum you can see a picture. It broke down on the yellow line:

https://zeilersforum.nl/index.php/fo...euw-roer-maken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cbba0e43-3c5c-4e0e-94d7-7ecbd16f7125.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	258632  
Bokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 11:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: BROKEN RUDDER! Looking for a replacement - Beneteau first 24 (1983)

Someone may be able to answer your question, but I'm not sure that you need an answer unless you are class racing the boat. You have the materials, fittings, and shape from the part left with you. The only missing dimension is the length, and that could be appoximated from the photograph. It sounds like a good weekend project.

Sorry to hear of the accident. I'm also concerned about how it came about. Unless the rudder was already damaged, I'd expect an impact sufficient to break it off to also do some serious damage at the mountings for the gudgeons. What happened?
Old 30-05-2022, 11:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Someone may be able to answer your question, but I'm not sure that you need an answer unless you are class racing the boat. You have the materials, fittings, and shape from the part left with you. The only missing dimension is the length, and that could be appoximated from the photograph. It sounds like a good weekend project.

Sorry to hear of the accident. I'm also concerned about how it came about. Unless the rudder was already damaged, I'd expect an impact sufficient to break it off to also do some serious damage at the mountings for the gudgeons. What happened?
Thank you for your reply. I don't know what exactly happened, there were no visible damages. I think the inside was delaminating due to water... I bought the boat a few weeks ago and last weekend I went sailing with strong wind (20 knots) for the first time...
Old 30-05-2022, 11:49   #4

www.newrudders.com ... yes this is real. They are located in Florida and they sometimes use old rudder stock. Surprisingly reasonably priced.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 12:11   #5

The Morgan's Cloud website had a couple of articles about issues with rudders and how to repair them last year. Here is the first article, https://www.morganscloud.com/2020/03...oblem-defined/ which is likely behind a paywall.

The website does not cost much money and is well worth the price.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 12:51   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Welcome to the world of fast little Firsts. She looks sweet congrats on the buy.
I’d take it to a local glass fella I know. He’d make a fast mould cast a new rudder with Kevlar diagonal bands. Look like factory. I’d double check the hull for any blisters or nicks but rudders get damaged backing into to things. People forget to inspect for cracks in the glass and repair immediately.
Add the stress of a powerful rig on a First.
You can probably stabilize the crack with diagonal bands of roving with Systems West temporary while you look at a new rudder. A little scar tissue
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 16:02   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Hello and welcome to CF.
Sorry about the rudder, maybe Benneteau can help with better documentation or a source for parts.
Otherwise to begin I start with a picture and scale and take basic dimensions.
Agree it looks factory for the older model, looks the new ones have dual rudders.
On my boat the bottom portion tips up. This is the paint job after a major repair...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_first24_mm.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	258653   Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_s21_rudder_pull1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	258654  

Old 31-05-2022, 00:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Hello and welcome to CF.
Sorry about the rudder, maybe Benneteau can help with better documentation or a source for parts.
Otherwise to begin I start with a picture and scale and take basic dimensions.
Agree it looks factory for the older model, looks the new ones have dual rudders.
On my boat the bottom portion tips up. This is the paint job after a major repair...
Thanks! I sent Beneteau an e-mail but no response yet. If it's not necessary to have the really exact dimenions, I can work with this I think!
Old 31-05-2022, 02:22   #9

Smile Re: BROKEN RUDDER! Looking for a replacement - Beneteau first 24 (1983)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkinga View Post
Thanks! I sent Beneteau an e-mail but no response yet. If it's not necessary to have the really exact dimenions, I can work with this I think!
The picture I found online was relatively small so there could be some inaccuracies due to that. Having a couple dimensions from the real one could help test the results. Do you have both pieces or did the lower pieces get lost? What materials are the old one made from? If they do not answer the email you may need to work through a dealer or call them directly. Have you done any woodworking or fiberglassing work before or know people who make surfboards ?
Old 31-05-2022, 07:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
The picture I found online was relatively small so there could be some inaccuracies due to that. Having a couple dimensions from the real one could help test the results. Do you have both pieces or did the lower pieces get lost? What materials are the old one made from? If they do not answer the email you may need to work through a dealer or call them directly. Have you done any woodworking or fiberglassing work before or know people who make surfboards ?
Unfortunately I lost the broken piece. Beneteau answered my email but they do not have any technical drawings anymore (I think this is a bit weird...). Also dealers do not have extra information so I have to do it by guessing. I'm living in Holland so not many people who make surfboards, but I checked the internet and it shouldn't be too difficult... Wish me luck! If somebody has extra information about the original rudder it is very welcome! Thanks!
Old 31-05-2022, 08:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkinga View Post
Unfortunately I lost the broken piece. Beneteau answered my email but they do not have any technical drawings anymore (I think this is a bit weird...). Also dealers do not have extra information so I have to do it by guessing. I'm living in Holland so not many people who make surfboards, but I checked the internet and it shouldn't be too difficult... Wish me luck! If somebody has extra information about the original rudder it is very welcome! Thanks!
If possible, please post a picture of the remaining piece, it may give clues as to what when wrong and to guide oher suggestions. (PS: Also if you could please say how thick the rudder is overall and how thick the glassed skin is that would be good too.)

What we do not know is if the rudder has an internal frame or if it is/was 'monocoque' construction where the shell provides the majority of the stength and the foam provides floatation.

The surfboard analogy is basic shape and materials only. The frames and skin would be much heavier on a rudder than a regular surfboard as the 'rider' is 10x heavier and the forces applied are different. You could consider upgrading the bottom to a true foil shape rather than chamfers.

This guy is good at explaining repairs:

https://www.boatworkstoday.com/video...rudder-part-1/
Old 03-06-2022, 04:21   #12

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

was your rudder made of wood or plywood?
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, men, rudder