Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 10:28   #16

Re: Bristol 29.9 with mast leak

Thanks for the tips and advice so far. I'm waiting for my request to the Bristol yahoo group the be accepted so I can post my concerns there and hopefully find a photo of what the step should look like.
Neutronbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:33   #17

It was the "Bristol Boat Owners" yahoo group you contacted, wasn't it? That's the good one.

Because there's another called "Bristol Yachts" that no-one ever gets approved for, and seems to be dying. I suspect that the creator died or something and it's been running on autopilot ever since.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40   #18

Yeah I just went back and checked, it's the Bristol boat owners. Hopefully it'll be accepted soon.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Virtually all cruising boat masts get rainwater into them, usually via the gaps near the sheaves at the masthead and any exit points for lines. Essentially impossible to avoid.

Deck stepped masts usually have a drain hole at the base, and water simply exits there. Some keel stepped masts have some sort of dam at the deck level, and an drain hole there that serves just as the deck stepped ones do. Often this dam is either missing or ineffectual, and thus water reaches the below decks step. Sometimes (as on our boat) it is possible to drain this off to a lower bilge or, in our case, the shower sump. The amounts are usually small, and our shower sump pump, on a float switch, empties it easily as would a proper bilge pump. Nothing to worry about.

In the case of the OP's situation, it doesn't look like the foot of the mast is seriously compromised; aluminium corrosion products do make a disproportionate mess!. A good cleanup and inspection would be in order, but I don't think it would indicate an immediate need for mitigation. The amount of corrosion suggests that the spigot on the inside (the locating "pin") might be stainless, or that there is some scrap stainless lying about in there. If he should buy the boat, at a convenient time unstepping the mast and checking everything out would be a good idea, but IMO, not a pressing matter.

No one likes water inside a boat, but at least this water is usually fresh, and delivered right to the bilge area. How much nicer than deck leaks!

Cheers,

Jim
Yep no huge deal compared with the many possible costs in an old boat like that. How old is the rigging? Much bigger deal.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 13:16   #20

Complete rigging overhaul 2 years ago.
Old 03-07-2014, 16:02   #21

Too bad they didn't pull the stick and clean up the bottom situation. Not too big a deal. Find a yard with their own crane or ability to pull the stick and it shouldn't cost too much if you can do your own work.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 06:08   #22

Hi - my parents are also selling our family sailboat - Bristol 29.9 as well - which has been in our family for years and my dad took care of it like it was his kid. They live in Florida but my dad has had heart problems and hasn't been able to keep up with it. Structurally sound - just a few issues like teak needs to be done and a window leak (personally, I would prefer that over a mast leak any day!). PM me if you have any interest in it and I can get you details. I'm trying to help them get it sold as they are a bit overwhelmed. Please shoot me a message if you have any interest. Best of luck - we loved our 29.9 and it was a great cruising boat!!!
Coleynyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast