Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2005, 22:52   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
brass surrounds

Question. First the scenario. I have some window surrounds that have a timber external framing around them. Kind of a trim. The window is perspex and is set in flush with the topside and the trim is then sealed and screwed over the perspex and topside, thus sitting proud of the side. The trim has a bad case of the soft soggy stuff. So I have been a busy little fellow and am making brass surrounds to take the place of the timber trim. I have polished them (four made and polished so far, out of 12 total) up and I must say, they don't look to darn bad. Now for the question. Should I let these age naturaly, Or keep them looking polished by coating the brass in some clear protectant. Or just keep polishing them by hand when and as they need it.
If a protectant, what is recomended. I was wondering about CRC's Softseal. I don't know if a clear lacquer would be best as I imagine it would be prone to chipping/scratching

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 23:17   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Clear lacquer

We use clear lacquar on brass and aluminum in the shop. Alum's not too bad but brass has to be perfectly clean before spraying on a coat. Any fingerprints will eventually show through.

As for scratching, as long as there is nothing rubbing against them they'll last a long time. Or if you catch a scratch right away, clear fingernail polish is a quick repair.

If they're not coated, and you get some saltwater on them they'll get green and once it's set in it'll be hell trying to get it out. It will actually pit BRASS over time. Bronze would be more durable but a lot more expensive.

Would like to see your handywork if you can do up a picture sometime......_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2005, 00:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well if I did it correctly, there should now be a few photos in the gallery under the maintanance section, of my busy weekend. Must say they look great so far and change the look of the boat dramaticly and to the positive. I laquered the brass by the way. The frames are sealed to the timber/perspex via a special tape at the mo. This is so I can easily remove them at hopefully not too later date and replace the perspex. The clear perspex has become old, crazed, scratched and brittle. I want to replace with a nice tinted new perspex. The perspex window gets sealed in and the frame is a secondary seal again, so should be very water tight. So thats 4 down and 8 to go.

Old 22-02-2005, 10:51   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Looks good Alan!

It'll give the cabin that rustic look, kind of like the ole Navy days.

Are you cutting them from solid plate or brazing strips together? I would imagine solid plate would be a little spendy................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2005, 21:26   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep it is brass strips. 38mmx6mm flat. It comes in 3M lengths here. I brazed them so as not to have any discolouration from bronze or silfoss. It would have been easier to weld, but wouldn't look good. If I had the money, expertise, patience and time, I would have loved to cast pour bronze. But I am severly lacking in all those above.