Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2011, 16:41   #1

Boat: 36' steel cutter
brainstorming turtle hatch replacement options

Hi all,
We have a steel sailboat with very little wood apart from the tiller and the turtle hatch housing (the part into which the companionway slider goes). While it is pretty, we have no attachment to the wood.

We frequently have need to stand on top of the turtle housing (right in front of our canvas dodger) when tending to the mainsail and we don't like the flex we feel under our feet. It needs attention, and we are entertaining our options replace the wood with steel.

We have need to engage a welder on a couple of other projects in the spring, so are doing a bit of research now. We'd like for the new housing to be lower profile, less boxy and perhaps even nice to look at--possibly even...artsy?

Generally seeking ideas, links, photos, feedback. Does anyone out there have a steel hatch housing? Or had to replace one? If you've done this, do you have any words of wisdom? Ideas? Suggestions? Apart from the cost of the steel, is this a highly time-intensive project for a metalworker?

A couple of things that probably don't matter, but may be worth mentioning:
  1. To remove the existing turtle "shell," we'll have to remove our interior t&g ceiling+insulation (an involved job). I'd guess we could take the entire shell to a metal worker for use as a pattern.
  2. The slider itself is also steel, and we will be fitting it with a lexan skylight/window this spring.
Thanks!
Suz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turtle hatch 1.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	35406   Click image for larger version

Name:	turtle hatch 2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	35407  

Old 31-12-2011, 17:18   #2

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: brainstorming turtle hatch replacement options

I'm looking at doing something similar. My hatch is too short fore and aft, needs to be extended about 6 inches forward, and then have slides made up and a new hatch. Currently I have a hatch where the aft half flips up and forward over the front piece, then the front piece flips up to stand on end. It was done this way so they wouldn't need to cut a whole into the wave breaker. However I'm a big guy and need a bigger hatch. Only problem I really have is that I have to remove an opening hatch that's located in front of the wave breaker and will be in the way. It needs to be moved to port about 6 inches. I figure on making the turtle from fiberglass and bolting it down.

I look forward to other replies with some ideas.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 18:07   #3

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater
Hi all,
We have a steel sailboat with very little wood apart from the tiller and the turtle hatch housing (the part into which the companionway slider goes). While it is pretty, we have no attachment to the wood.

We frequently have need to stand on top of the turtle housing (right in front of our canvas dodger) when tending to the mainsail and we don't like the flex we feel under our feet. It needs attention, and we are entertaining our options replace the wood with steel.

We have need to engage a welder on a couple of other projects in the spring, so are doing a bit of research now. We'd like for the new housing to be lower profile, less boxy and perhaps even nice to look at--possibly even...artsy?

Generally seeking ideas, links, photos, feedback. Does anyone out there have a steel hatch housing? Or had to replace one? If you've done this, do you have any words of wisdom? Ideas? Suggestions? Apart from the cost of the steel, is this a highly time-intensive project for a metalworker?

A couple of things that probably don't matter, but may be worth mentioning:

[*]To remove the existing turtle "shell," we'll have to remove our interior t&g ceiling+insulation (an involved job). I'd guess we could take the entire shell to a metal worker for use as a pattern.[*]The slider itself is also steel, and we will be fitting it with a lexan skylight/window this spring.

Thanks!
Suz
LOL... That is a pretty big pooch resting on the dodger. Bet he can flex the turtle too.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 22:01   #4

Boat: 36' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
a pretty big pooch resting on the dodger...
Yes...sort of like a dog not allowed on the couch, she sometimes ends up there when we aren't looking. It's her favorite spot, and the only dog hammock available. And it's so cute that we have a hard time scolding her.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:47   #5

Boat: Islander 36

"The slider itself is also steel, and we will be fitting it with a lexan skylight/window this spring"

While steel already sounds heavy, my experience with Lexan in the same application was not so positive. Heavy, flexed too much and scratched. I quicky dumped it and went with polypropylene. Even thicker than the lexan if i remember, it was lighter and slides much easier. Translucent so lets in plenty of light and not seeing thru it is not as important as I thought it would be. Scratches are a complete non issue. Scratches in the smoked lexan made it look very old very fast.
Old 02-01-2012, 13:35   #6

I would like a steel boat and all access to be steel for security. Some people work off of measurements but I would just use the one you have for guide.
3dubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch