Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2020, 02:16   #1

Brackets for glass splashguard in galley

I have seen splash guards on several newer yachts. The splash guards are for protecting the sofas next to the galley sink. As one of many projects, this winter adding a splashguard is one of them. The challenge is to find the right bracket.

Several brands use the same type of brackets for fastening the splash guards. But I have not found anyone that actually sells these brackets.

Does anyone know who produces these brackets or knows where they can be bought other than as spare parts from the yacht builders?

I'm attaching links to pictures of the brackets as well as pictures of the bracket mounted on both Jeanneau and X-Yachts.

jonase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 02:33   #2

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Brackets for glass splashguard in galley

Cleaning the above type of splash guard and the associated brackets creates extra work.

For galley (and home kitchen or bathroom) related items I try to go for all smooth surfaces as much as possible.

Think about cleaning a gas hob with all it's nooks and crannies vs an induction hob which is just one big flat surface to wipe (also why I prefer hobs and ovens with flat touch buttons instead of knobs).

So I would try to fasten and integrate the new splash guard more directly and more flush with the existing counter top fiddle to help achieve this.

My 2 cents
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 03:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Cleaning the above type of splash guard and the associated brackets creates extra work.

For galley (and home kitchen or bathroom) related items I try to go for all smooth surfaces as much as possible.

Think about cleaning a gas hob with all it's nooks and crannies vs an induction hob which is just one big flat surface to wipe (also why I prefer hobs and ovens with flat touch buttons instead of knobs).

So I would try to fasten and integrate the new splash guard more directly and more flush with the existing counter top fiddle to help achieve this.

My 2 cents
Thanks but that is why I am searching for these brackets. I have seen several other brackets with a very low clearance that makes it impossible to clean between the tabletop and the glass.
jonase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 03:27   #4

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I was trying to suggest that it would be better not to need to clean 'between the tabletop and the glass' in the first place - it would be better as one continuous surface as far as this is practical.

Additionally, those brackets add even more nooks and crannies, where they mount to the table top, where they mount to the glass, etc, etc.

That is what I prefer to avoid.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 04:15   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Have you done a search google/duckduckgo?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ss++...h=706&biw=1143
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 06:01   #6

Try McMaster Carr. They have pretty much everything made of metal.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 06:25   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I suggest you contact the parts department of the manufacturer of the boat(s) you photographed. Odds are, they can sell you the brackets and they will likely be less costly than going to an outside supplier as iI have often found with parts for our Beneteau First 42.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 07:15   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you find a metal fabricator they could easily make something similar and probably inexpensive.

Depending on your fiddle material, would redesign it to screw into the fiddle and not into the counter top. This would help w/easier cleaning and move the plate in line w/the fiddle. Also the welded nuts to the bracket to mount the plate are too much of a stand off and probably not needed. Would just drill holes thru the plate and use dress nuts on the other side.

If you did the mods above, you then end up w/straight plates w/holes drilled in them for mounting (again depends on the fiddle). If using tempered glass would add rubber grommets thru the glass and rubber washers for vibration.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 07:30   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I think most manufacturers make those in house. A big one like Jeanneau may source them from China but probably as a custom production run.

Any workshop can make those for you.

I also agree with the comment on improving this. Jeanneau makes it this way because it looks good and it’s cheap to do, not to be the most efficient galley. If the countertop is solid surface (Corian) then you can glue a couple inches high backsplash onto that and put the glass on top of it with much simpler brackets.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 08:35   #10
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

what about these?

CRL Slot Mount Standoffs
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 09:24   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

We avoid using Glass on our vessel, so when we added a splash guard we used Lexan. I cut it to size and screwed it to the teak 'back splash' with some washers. The washers help prevent the water from wicking up behind the Lexan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Splash Guard.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	207835  
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 11:11   #12

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

The whole setup seems to be dangerous while underway, especially if seas are running. Any one traversing the area in a bumpy seaway could inadvertently apply pressure to the panel in an unsupported direction.

Why not a lexan shield with brackets that fit into sockets or a similar type of mount on the backside of the cabinet for the sink. That way you could have the splash guard up while at anchor or docked, then demount (perhaps stowing it under the settee cushions) while underway. Unless on a multi-day passage, dishes usually accumulate in the sink until we anchor or the sea state permits.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 11:18   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

It is actually quite strong, but yes in a worst case scenario it could break. Even at anchor we've been hit by some pretty rough rogue waves from out of nowhere. That is why I chose Lexan instead of glass. I'd much rather snap a piece of Lexan in two than have a glass panel shatter into multiple small shards, or fall onto a metal bracket.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:47   #14

Boat: 1979 Acapulco 40

If the fiddle behind the sink is thick enough, you could simply route a groove into the top of the fiddle, into which you could install a piece of tempered glass or Lexan held in with a bead of some sort of clear sealer. That way no unsightly brackets to clean aroundAnd the install is very clean looking. I did this on my boat and it came out beautifully. I installed a piece of 1/4 inch tempered glass that was etched with a lovely design.Cheers
Glassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:51   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
It is actually quite strong, but yes in a worst case scenario it could break. Even at anchor we've been hit by some pretty rough rogue waves from out of nowhere. That is why I chose Lexan instead of glass. I'd much rather snap a piece of Lexan in two than have a glass panel shatter into multiple small shards, or fall onto a metal bracket.
Lexen is a polycarbonate, it won’t snap in two. It may fold over if thin enough but won’t snap
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley