Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 06:15   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Thumbs up Re: Bozo the Clown Broke My Rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
When TOW BOAT damaged my boat. They paid me to repair it myself. They weren't even towing me. I was tied to the dock, and they hit me. Are they accepting no blame after you pointed out the way? I would think they carry some responsibility?........i2f
As a highly qualified arm chair lawyer, I agree. Unless I am missing something here why are you not going after the operator for the negligence of towing your boat across the sand bar and causing you significant damage?

Whatever indemnification paperwork you may have signed prior to the tow, this does not absolve the operator from negligence. You have a right to expect the company to be employing competent, skilled, boat handlers and if all is as you are representing you probably can make a good case to be paid for the cost of a quality professional repair.

I would start with a letter to the owner outlining the date, time and details of the tow gone wrong and close it with your reasons for and desires to be made whole for your damages. Send the letter certified with a cc: to your lawyer and see what happens.

Good Luck
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Bozo the Clown Broke My Rudder

Finally got hold of Foss Foam. Their price is $1308 plus tax, and no shipping since I can pick it up.

I heard the $4,000 price several places and was very relieved to hear the real price from them.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
As a highly qualified arm chair lawyer, I agree. Unless I am missing something here why are you not going after the operator for the negligence of towing your boat across the sand bar and causing you significant damage?

Whatever indemnification paperwork you may have signed prior to the tow, this does not absolve the operator from negligence. You have a right to expect the company to be employing competent, skilled, boat handlers and if all is as you are representing you probably can make a good case to be paid for the cost of a quality professional repair.

I would start with a letter to the owner outlining the date, time and details of the tow gone wrong and close it with your reasons for and desires to be made whole for your damages. Send the letter certified with a cc: to your lawyer and see what happens.

Good Luck

Well, he absolutely WAS negligent. It would be obvious to any idiot (except, apparently, me -- grin) where the channel was. You could just look at the channel, and where my boat was, and know that where I was pointing HAD to be deeper water -- or I couldn't have gotten stuck where I was stuck!

But he insisted on pulling me off by dragging a keeled boat across a sand bar. I thought he knew about some cut through the sand bar. Actually there might be one now but it wasn't there then ...

But it would be very expensive, not to mention that I would have to find a lawyer familiar with boating navigation issues. Practically speaking, it doesn't make sense to try to pursue that.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:30   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post

Good Luck
Actually that makes sense. We did that once with a car that was technically out of warranty but only had 37k on it, and Chevrolet ended up splitting the cost with me. They paid for the engine, and we paid the mechanics.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:32   #20
cruiser

I think maybe we should close this thread out if there's any chance I'm going to try some kind of legal action on this.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:45   #21

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There is always alot of boat and boat parts building on this forum. A recent thread is about a guy building new catamaran rudders from scratch. Couldn't hurt. BOB

Boat Design Forums
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:53   #22

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Duckworks - Another Approach to Shaping Foils

Also, this article on Duckworks outlines a great technique for making your own NACA section rudder. Probably not something Rakuflames wants to pursue, but worth mentioning here for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread. I made our boat a new rudder using this technique last year, and it is fantastic.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:02   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rakuflames--i didnt know much until i HAD toknow it-- like when i needed to replace chainplates before i sailed or die, like when i had to fix engine on boat-- oil kept fallingout..lol everywhere--- from the new engine i placed--- so is fixed---- i learn to fix as i go-- yoiu are similar age to me--and i am disabled as well, so i live on teensy weensy monies, and fix this big boat that wasnt fixed rightin first place. but....... if i can do it, you can too--isnt that hard. and your boat is smaller so it is easier to fix. mine has huge parts and systems i am still learning.
i am glad you found rudder for less than absurd amounts of dough.
i would still be scrounging all over the place trying to find it in person to avoid the shipping and selecting the bits fees that workers like to tack onto prices.
good luck and have fun with your boat-- and if stuck on a bar, is easier to wait out the tidal changes or lean your boat with the boom out and use kedging anchors and a dink to get off the shoal that was placed there just to get ye.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:44   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
There is always alot of boat and boat parts building on this forum. A recent thread is about a guy building new catamaran rudders from scratch. Couldn't hurt. BOB

Boat Design Forums

I saw it, thanks. Clearly involved skills I just don't have, but thanks for the link.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:26   #25

What you've just described is the major reason why full keel boats have fans

That's why I sail a full keel boat. It could be dragged across Kansas on it's keel and the rudder will never touch dirt!!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:47   #26

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

Building a spade rudder is a bit much for a beginner DIY project, I think. Sometimes the advice on a forum like this can be a tad masochistic.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:00   #27

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Wait . . . boat ownership isn't supposed to be masochistic???
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Building a spade rudder is a bit much for a beginner DIY project, I think. Sometimes the advice on a forum like this can be a tad masochistic.
Well, the great thing about this place is that you can hear all sorts of perspectives. Then you look at yourself and your circumstances and make the choices that seem right for you.

I *know* without a doubt that it's too much for this beginner. Someone said to me, "What if you were caught on a desert island?" Well, I'd steer the boat through sailing until I got into Boat US waters and then I'd call them. I don't have to sail my boat, with no rudder, into my slip, and in fact it would be unwise. Anyone in the immediate vicinity of that slip would be unwise to encourage me to do it. But I have a friend, with VASTLY more experience, who added something dragging behind his boat after his steering failed (not as badly as mine, thank goodness) -- and managed to do exactly that.

I'd be the first to say there are many people who know more about sailing than I do, and even more who know more about making repairs than I do. But this discussion has helped me consider all suggestions -- here and from people face-to-face -- more intelligently.

Thank you all.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:32   #29

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I haven't read the whole thread here but have you considered calling Hunter to see what they can offer?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:44   #30

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well, he absolutely WAS negligent. It would be obvious to any idiot (except, apparently, me -- grin) where the channel was. You could just look at the channel, and where my boat was, and know that where I was pointing HAD to be deeper water -- or I couldn't have gotten stuck where I was stuck!

But he insisted on pulling me off by dragging a keeled boat across a sand bar. I thought he knew about some cut through the sand bar. Actually there might be one now but it wasn't there then ...

But it would be very expensive, not to mention that I would have to find a lawyer familiar with boating navigation issues. Practically speaking, it doesn't make sense to try to pursue that.

You don't start the process with the lawyer, just the letter and see where it goes from there. I think your idea that you need a specialized laywer who deals with maritime law is a reach. If the issues are as crystal clear as you claim I think a general practice attorney should suffice.

I would also be sure to send the "Respectfull" letter to the appropriate individual in the parent company as well as the local contractor, this will start the conversation moving on their side as to how to address your problem. Also serves to put them on notice of your dissatisfaction with their service.

I have done customer repairs for damage caused by some of the towing companies. Often the owner values his reputaion and has his insurance takes care of the damages caused by his knucklhead. Until you take the time to write a letter you won't know, maybe the "Bozo" never told his boss what he did to your boat.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder