Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 11:41   #1

Boat: Bristol 35
Bowsprit

I would like to add a bowsprit to a Bristol 35- not change the sail plan but add anchor rollers and windless. Any suggestions? I tried doing a search and it said no matches found. If there is already a thread on this please point me in the correct direction. Here's what I'm thinking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12220596673_8b07c92da6_b.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	100893  
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 12:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Bowsprit

Not a fan of hanging the anchor off of a single purpose added bowsprit. It moves weight on the bow outboard which is not a good idea. Don't see a reason for hanging the anchor way out there, in any case. The anchor roller on my P35 gets it far enough outboard that the rode and anchor clears the boat with no problems. It is also an appendage that will probably increase you slip fees. A bowsprit means you'll have to learn to maneuver a longer bost. Full keel boats are enough of a problem to handle in tight quarters without making them longer.

If you must do it, would make it so you could set a Code Zero/ Asymetric spinnaker off it or make the boat into a double headsail rig if it wouldn't cause the boat to have lee helm.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 12:54   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Biker6977, anchor roller platforms are often added when the shape of the bow causes the anchor or chain to come into contact with the bow when retrieving the anchor. If the Bristol 35 has enough foreword overhang it may not need an extension platform. Then again, you may just like the way it looks and that would be reason enough to add one.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 12:56   #4

I would also like to make small cloth seat that attaches to the pulpit- the bow is my favorite place to sit, put an electric windless and keep the deck as clean as possible. Lots to try and do. The marina fees are not a concern, I'm thinking 18-24" but it will need to be proportional. As I've not sailed the boat I do not know for sure but have heard that they do have lee helm.
Also will be putting davits on the back with dingy so that should offset the weight.
And as Tayana42 pointed out- I do like the way they look
Old 24-04-2015, 13:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
I would like to add a bowsprit to a Bristol 35- not change the sail plan but add anchor rollers and windless. Any suggestions? I tried doing a search and it said no matches found. If there is already a thread on this please point me in the correct direction. Here's what I'm thinking.
Howdy!

I assume that you want to add to a boat what you see in the photo you attached.

I would call that a "Bow Pulpit" with an anchor roller.

Reason?

It does not have a sprit (usually a wood or fiberglass pole or "spar") that extends out with an attached stay for a sail.

The photo I am attaching shows a bowsprit (and the stays and sails).

Good luck on your project.

Here is a Google Custom Search showing 1000 hits of "bow pulpit" on this forum alone. There is even one that mentions a bow pulpit seat. Have fun.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0063947...pit&gsc.page=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowsprit 640px-Dragin_KG212,_the_Bowsprit.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	100894  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 13:09   #6

You are correct Steady- bow pulpit not bowsprit, my mistake but I trust everyone here knew what I meant and not what I said- unlike my computer that always takes me literal and does what I tell it and not what I want!
Yes a bow pulpit with an anchor roller or two and a windless on the bow of the boat.
Old 24-04-2015, 13:54   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
You are correct Steady- bow pulpit not bowsprit, my mistake but I trust everyone here knew what I meant and not what I said- unlike my computer that always takes me literal and does what I tell it and not what I want!
Yes a bow pulpit with an anchor roller or two and a windless on the bow of the boat.
Hi. No problem. Just trying to help.

Because the jargon of sailing is extensive, it is unlikely that anyone will remember ALL of the correct terms. When new to sailing, the jargon can be a bit confusing and when older (meaning more years mixing terms) sailors speak it can be a matter of remembering anything.

But, a boat like that COULD have a bowsprit added, in addition to the bow pulpit and anchor roller fixture. Extending (usually carbon fiber) "sprits" can be added to boats, usually if one wants to fly an asymmetrical spinnaker.

Here is a link to some info on that.
Asymmetrical spinnaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowsprit