Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 15:01   #1

Boat: Freedom 38
Bottom sanding job seems to be going sideways on me

Finally hauled my boat for first time in the 3 years since buying her in San Diego. As part of the purchase, the bottom was painted with Interlux Ultrablue. I have no idea what other paint is on the bottom. Now that I am taking a closer look at it, there are places where the paint seems exposed all the way to gelcoat. No blisters though. Also, in my agressive approach to sanding through several layers of bottom paint, just past a flaky brown layer that really seems like it needs to go, sometimes it immediately exposes the gelcoat like nothing was sticking there. It's my understanding that I need to epoxy the gelcoat patches somehow, but that epoxy won't stick to the paint that's still there. I don't have the time, money or inclination to strip it all to gelcoat (which probably needs to be done to do it right) so what's the next best approach as I continue this really difficult job and try to not do more damage that could make my life any worse right now? (I also came down with a cold so itchy/runny eyes, sneezing/coughing and blowing my nose while wearing a respirator, goggles and Tyvek hood is just a real PITA.)
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 15:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Bottom sanding job seems to be going sideways on me

Epoxy is not needed over the gelcoat, just a light sanding and wipe with acetone. Epoxy is used under a gel coat where blisters are.

Haulouts are always way too much fun...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 18:13   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gamayun,

Sometimes people [lazily] paint over slime. When the paint pops off of it, it looks a kind of olivey, browny, green, and over the long term, if that is what you have, you'll want it off those spots, or the paint just keeps on popping off of it.

If you have no blisters, SC is absolutely correct, good and clean with acetone, prime the spots that require it, and mask and roll and tip, or spraying is even better, gives a lovely smooth bottom.

Hope your cold goes away fast. That must just be so d--n yucky!

Ann
Old 02-04-2016, 18:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I concur. Sounds like you are in a hurry. Do a good clean-up & wipe -down. It sounds like there may not be a barrier coat. if this is correct you might want to plan to haul & strip it next time. A CO2 blast will strip everything to the gel coat. Apply Interprotect 2000E or its equivalent. Not all yards allow blasting. Check ahead.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 20:39   #5

Oh man, though I am still miserably sick and coughing, I just love working on my boat because it's such a great learning experience!! Thanks for the advice everyone. Nich's suggestion made me remember that I have all this great Freedom 38 literature, which includes a mention about the original bottom paint. Apparently, one coat of paint was applied at the factory back in 1988. Now I know there's no barrier coat! At least the bottom is good with no blisters so I could clean it well, then plan to do the rest of the sanding next time I haul. I am a little time limited so that is probably the best approach right now once I get past that nasty, flaky brown layer, which I am trying very hard not to go ballistic thinking that it might be an algae layer. During my research on this issue, I read about a PO who painted right over scraped barnacle parts. So, it is believable someone could do that! Arg
Old 02-04-2016, 20:46   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Epoxy is not needed over the gelcoat, just a light sanding and wipe with acetone. Epoxy is used under a gel coat where blisters are.

Haulouts are always way too much fun...
????? The epoxy barrier coat goes over the gelcoat to try to deter blisters. Epoxy is much more water resistant than gelcoat.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 20:47   #7

Oh, and about that word "fun," SailorChic. I just gave my son a lashing after our call this evening when he told me to "have fun." That word should never be used around anyone who is doing work in a boat yard. Everyone, everyone, everyone that I have met over the past week, tosses out "have fun" as we part ways. It is starting to make me very twitchy indeed (though that might also be from the copper seeping into my bloodstream).
Old 02-04-2016, 20:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
????? The epoxy barrier coat goes over the gelcoat to try to deter blisters. Epoxy is much more water resistant than gelcoat.
I think the problem that I have now are small patches of gelcoat while the rest of the boat still has 2 layers of mostly good bottom paint. What I needed to know is whether I can just paint over everything or if there is some way to cover the gelcoat. I'll send a picture in just a minute.
Old 02-04-2016, 21:07   #9

There's a shadow across the rudder, but all the paint was removed below the top part because there were more patches of gel coat than paint. It went fairly quickly, which surprised me, but maybe not quickly enough for me to want to do the rest of the boat that way. From the picture you can see a few patches of gelcoat. The other side is worse.

So, here's what I'm thinking. I'm going to add Interprotect 2000 to the bare rudder and then paint over the rest of the boat as it is (after I clean it well). Then, I can monitor the bottom when I go to clean it every 6-8 weeks or so. That'll give me a good indication of whether there's a failure happening on the hull sooner rather than later.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom_4-2-16.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	121929
Old 02-04-2016, 21:59   #10

Boat: islandpacket

Be sure to contain all your bottom paint chips and use a vacume sander as the dust and chips are rather toxic and need to be disposed of. Most boat yards I've been in require both.
Old 02-04-2016, 22:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Be sure to contain all your bottom paint chips and use a vacume sander as the dust and chips are rather toxic and need to be disposed of. Most boat yards I've been in require both.
Yeah, it's a nasty job. The boat is hauled at about the only yard remaining in the San Francisco Bay area that allows crazy people like me to do their own work. I have to rent their sanders, which have HEPA filters, and all the sanding debris goes into these containers, which I understand is also sold for recycling. Then, for the little bit that falls on me and because of the noise, I am wearing a respirator, Tyvek suit, ear plugs, full wrap goggles and gloves. The yard also sweeps/vacuums up each morning, I think.

I now have a huge respect for people who do this kind of work every day. No matter the kvetching I'm going to get for saying this, I don't think they get paid enough!! If you disagree, just go outside and for the next four hours, keep a 15 pound weight lifted straight over your head.
Old 02-04-2016, 23:56   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi , in regards to not being payed enough. .....last year I had my bottom paint taken off back to gelcoat while in the Philippines. Two Filipinos , two chisels to scrape and then they sanded, it took them 5 days. $40 a day , that's what the boatyard charged me, I'm not sure how much the Filopino workers that did the job got out of it but I assume it was less than $10 per day each! The amazing thing is they were quite happy.
Obviously I was happy with the cost but the lack of equality between us ( westerners) and the local Filipinos didn't escape me.
Cheers Dale .

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:09   #13

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I did a quick look and couldn't tell, but that doesn't seem like it would be an ablative paint. Do you know if it is? Your timing is just a little off as the Strictly Sail Pacific show is next week in Richmond and I'm pretty sure that Interlux will have a rep there. Maybe I'll see you there.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:44   #14
IRG

Boat: Molenmaker, Custom ketch, 97'

Sounds like you're in the Berkeley yard, a very decent place.

Where there is anti-fouling paint flaking off, scrape off any loose stuff with a hand scraper. If the rest looks sound and not too thick you should be able to just sand it with rough grit to kive a key surface for another coat of anti-foulant. Where you've sanded through the gelcoat, brush on an epoxy coat or two to protect it then paint anti-foulant on top of that, then you'll be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Yeah, it's a nasty job. The boat is hauled at about the only yard remaining in the San Francisco Bay area that allows crazy people like me to do their own work. I have to rent their sanders, which have HEPA filters, and all the sanding debris goes into these containers, which I understand is also sold for recycling. Then, for the little bit that falls on me and because of the noise, I am wearing a respirator, Tyvek suit, ear plugs, full wrap goggles and gloves. The yard also sweeps/vacuums up each morning, I think.

I now have a huge respect for people who do this kind of work every day. No matter the kvetching I'm going to get for saying this, I don't think they get paid enough!! If you disagree, just go outside and for the next four hours, keep a 15 pound weight lifted straight over your head.
IRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:00   #15

Boat: islandpacket

I found that a carbide blade paint scraper with a long handle for two handed scraping helped alot before sanding.

Tags
sanding